Author Topic: 2016 Recruting  (Read 169869 times)

Offline FOOTBALLFEVER

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
Re: 2016 Recruting
« Reply #15 on: December 03, 2015, 03:10:03 PM »
The staff has been coast to coast as of late looking for talent.

Offline IAA Fan

• Administrator
  • Emperor Penguin
  • Bring Coke back to YSU!!
    • View Profile
    • ysupenguins.com
« Reply #16 on: December 03, 2015, 04:06:21 PM »
I don't think Montgomery's kid has any interest in playing college football. He wants to play baseball and was offered a spot on the YSU baseball team but he is weighing his options.

Agreed. Better baseball prospect. Should receive more than 1 offer. If he is that talented I hope we get him.

Offline IAA Fan

• Administrator
  • Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
    • ysupenguins.com
« Reply #17 on: December 03, 2015, 04:25:07 PM »

This kid is more than obtainable. Montgomery's kids play in that same conference and he probably has already seen Vantrease. Coach M's son is the QB at Green (and very talented in his own right).
Tanner M has some talent, but at 5-10 155 (and I would question the 5-10) I doubt 1-AA potential.  Looks NAIA at best to me.

I think he is much better than that, but again he is an exceptional athlete. He just happens to be as good (or better) at baseball. Green is a solid sized program and he now owns just about every school record. I talked with him at the NDSU game, he was part of that large recruiting group for football, but he comes to many Penguin games. Does not look much over 150-160 lbs, so I see your point about him maybe not being DI material at QB. However, he is most-likely a really good future coach, so he has some decisions to make. Does he want to coach baseball or football :)

Offline go guins

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 04, 2015, 11:33:27 AM »
However, he is most-likely a really good future coach, so he has some decisions to make. Does he want to coach baseball or football :)
Hey 1-AA, give the kid a chance to go to school and play the sport of his choice first!  He has plenty of time for career decisions down the line! 
« Last Edit: December 04, 2015, 02:48:14 PM by IAA Fan »
Watching Penquins Football & Basketball since 1967!

Offline FOOTBALLFEVER

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 05, 2015, 09:31:14 PM »
I wonder if coach Pelini or any of his staff have been in Columbus for the championship games. I'm Currently watching Bishop Hartley and Stubenville. I'm very impressed with both power backs Quri Hickman of Bishop and Johnny Blue of Stubenville. I would love to see a true power running game at YSU and either one of these 2 would definitely help

ValleyTalk

« Reply #20 on: December 05, 2015, 10:48:24 PM »
I wonder if coach Pelini or any of his staff have been in Columbus for the championship games. I'm Currently watching Bishop Hartley and Stubenville. I'm very impressed with both power backs Quri Hickman of Bishop and Johnny Blue of Stubenville. I would love to see a true power running game at YSU and either one of these 2 would definitely help
I saw Big Red last week vs. Ursuline. I'd love to get a handful of those kids. They were good, yet they just lost in the state title which really surprises me!

Offline FOOTBALLFEVER

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 05, 2015, 11:21:05 PM »
That was a great game tonight Valley. Just 2 really tough teams. I thought Bishop had some big time run stoppers that could really move for their size and get up field. The only other game I watched was Lasalle and they were just loaded with talent..several players from all 3 teams that could help YSU in some capacity

Offline YSU1

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 07, 2015, 02:30:18 PM »
I watched the State Play offs and the games were entertaining.  The lower divisions were good. 3 teams from the same conference in Division V, VI and VII were in the state finals.  (2 won)  The quarterbacks threw the ball well and the wide outs made some great catches.  Plus these high school coaches had some excellent play calling.  I doubt roo many players from the lower divisions will go to  big colleges but they sure do play with a lot of heart, and discipline.  Fundamentally the teams were solid which is why they were there.
YSU needs a better offensive scheme.   Just move the chains.   Way too many 3 and outs. Plus you have to throw the ball downfield rather than in the flats.  2 runs up the middle and a pass in the flat does not do it.
« Last Edit: December 07, 2015, 04:47:21 PM by YSU1 »

Offline FOOTBALLFEVER

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 07, 2015, 09:36:49 PM »
There is a very good chance Bo will bring in a dual-threat Quarterback. The last I heard they were looking at Trent Hosick a 6"2  225 pounder with 4.6 speed from Arizona Western Junior College. Signed with Missouri as a 3 star prospect but left after the first year because he felt he wasn't given a fair opportunity to start. Finished 7-0 his first season at the J.C. Level and was offered by San Diego St. and B.Y.U. but turned down their offers. Lost his starting job this season after several bad outings and fought various injuries along the way. The film looks very good on him but the level of competition is nothing compared to the Missouri 
« Last Edit: December 07, 2015, 09:38:55 PM by FOOTBALLFEVER »

Offline ytownchief22

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 07, 2015, 10:26:44 PM »
There is a very good chance Bo will bring in a dual-threat Quarterback. The last I heard they were looking at Trent Hosick a 6"2  225 pounder with 4.6 speed from Arizona Western Junior College. Signed with Missouri as a 3 star prospect but left after the first year because he felt he wasn't given a fair opportunity to start. Finished 7-0 his first season at the J.C. Level and was offered by San Diego St. and B.Y.U. but turned down their offers. Lost his starting job this season after several bad outings and fought various injuries along the way. The film looks very good on him but the level of competition is nothing compared to the Missouri

Yeah, Bo and Shane were out to see him today. Sounds like when times get tough he gives up and leaves though. Battled injuries this year. I might give him a chance.

Offline IAA Fan

• Administrator
  • Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
    • ysupenguins.com
« Reply #25 on: December 08, 2015, 10:09:09 AM »
Not impressed ...besides he is in his second year. We are set at QB long before the line. I do not think any of us realize how good Mays can be. He is 6-3 and a 4-year player at basketball

If I was looking at the JUCO rout, it would have to be a kid that upped his grades enough the first year.  Maybe someone in the prep ranks or a IA transfer out of a red-shirt year? I want 3 years out of him. Then again, if Bo is in a hurry, we need someone proven ...I just hate using "the Delaware method". You can never get out of it.

Offline ytownchief22

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: December 08, 2015, 02:17:52 PM »
Not impressed ...besides he is in his second year. We are set at QB long before the line. I do not think any of us realize how good Mays can be. He is 6-3 and a 4-year player at basketball

If I was looking at the JUCO rout, it would have to be a kid that upped his grades enough the first year.  Maybe someone in the prep ranks or a IA transfer out of a red-shirt year? I want 3 years out of him. Then again, if Bo is in a hurry, we need someone proven ...I just hate using "the Delaware method". You can never get out of it.

If Mays sees the field, god help us all.

Offline IAA Fan

• Administrator
  • Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
    • ysupenguins.com
« Reply #27 on: December 08, 2015, 03:13:57 PM »
BTW, the "Delaware Method" is constant transfers. All short-timers.

As to Mays ...he only took a couple of snaps at the scrimmage that I was at.

Offline FOOTBALLFEVER

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: December 09, 2015, 09:49:55 AM »
I agree with 1AA Fan there's not a immediate need for a Juco Qb, but chances are good it will happen.The teams main issues are with the receiver's, offensive line, and punter and that is where the focus should be. 5 of 6 losses where by a average of 4 points. Not enough reason in my opinion to go National for a quarterback search. Both Ricky and Hunter played well enough for a 8 win season. Coaching alone cost the guins 3 games and I'm not afraid to say so. To this point the staff has looked at 3 dual/threat Qb's and not one even holds a FCS offer. After viewing all 3..Ricky Davis would be the better of the 3 in terms of dual threat..with Wells being the best passer. Like I said before bringing in transfers can be very damaging to a clubhouse as we learned that this past year. Bo is extremely embarrassed about going 5-6 at the FCS level..Hopefully he will make good decisions on the 2016 class and get this thing turned around 
« Last Edit: December 09, 2015, 10:36:13 AM by FOOTBALLFEVER »

Offline IAA Fan

• Administrator
  • Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
    • ysupenguins.com
« Reply #29 on: December 09, 2015, 11:24:13 AM »
Nice post Fever. Mays is also a solid punter ...all SW region in HS last year with a 41.3 yard average. Do you think we can make up for the losses at WR with what we have returning? What are your thoughts on recruiting a larger back for our nickel and dime packages, or do your think Shane can handle it?

The best thing Bo can do is trust his coordinators, be very involved in the recruiting (he has the name) and most of all ...get a dang special teams coordinator. This team has no need for two DC's and a defensive-minded HC.
« Last Edit: December 09, 2015, 04:47:59 PM by IAA Fan »