Author Topic: 2016 Recruting  (Read 168059 times)

Offline go guins

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
Re: 2016 Recruting
« Reply #30 on: December 09, 2015, 01:52:01 PM »
I agree with 1-AA in that we have exactly 1 too many DC's and 1 two few special teams coordinators. "Everybody" says you need to win all three phases of the game, and we obviously don't believe it, and we got burned in several games last season because of it.   
If you have 2 DC's you have 1 too many.  I think very inconsistant play by OSU defense is partly having 2 voices when you need one.  (BTW, that got fixed with Ash's new HC job)
It looks like we are in great shape for place kicking, but punting, kick-offs and coverage teams all need huge improvement.  Frankly I'd rather have a kick off guy than a QB.  (IMO we would have won NDSU and made playoffs if we could kick for a touchback every time.)
Watching Penquins Football & Basketball since 1967!

Offline ytownchief22

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: December 12, 2015, 10:15:14 AM »
Thought I would list some of the players who have been offered so far by Bo and staff:

Andrew Armstrong- Cardinal Mooney- 6-2 ATH- Committed to Bowling Green (Who just lost their HC)

Tyler Walton- Canton CC- 6-2, 280 OL- (Other small FCS Offers)

Isaiah Anderson- Nordonia- 6-3, 300 OL (Other small FCS Offers)

London Pearson (Coach's son) - Licking Heights- 5-11 ATH (Other small FCS offers)

Brennon Tibbs (Walk on offer) - GlenOak- 6-0 ATH

Noah Ball (Walk on offer)- Walsh Jesuit- Kicker

Wes Thompson (Walk on offer)- Boardman- 6-0, 280 OL/DL

Adam Pastor (Walk on offer)- Walsh Jesuit- 6-2, 290 DT

Koby Welch (JUCO)- LA Pierce- 6-4, 220 LB (Northwestern State Commit)

Sam White- Boone (FL)- 6-3, 235 DE (Offers from Old Dominion)

Elijah Wilson- Omaha Central (NE)- 6-2, 240 DE (SDSU Commit)

Lynval Sutherland Jr- Hallandale (FL)- 5-11, 175 DB (Offers from Toledo, USF, Cincy, Buffalo)

Andrew Hines- Hallandale (FL)- 6-0, 190 DB (Offer from Northern Illinois)

Malik Forrester (JUCO)- LA Pierce- 6-1, 305 DT (Offers from Umass, Idaho, Hawaii)

Savohn Hunt- St. Johns (Washington DC) 6-0, 290 DT

Patrick Miranda (JUCO)- Chabot College- 6-0, 230 LB

Justin Berry- West Ashley (SC) 6-0 ATH (Offers from Akron, Temple, Arizona State)

Rahshaun Smith- IMG Academy (FL)- 6-3, 240 LB (#2 rated LB in nation)

Stephen Puhl- Woodland Hills (PA)- 6-4, 210 TE (Offers from BG, WF, Air Force, Delaware, Eastern Michigan)

Offline FOOTBALLFEVER

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: December 12, 2015, 06:02:50 PM »
Thanks for adding that list chief and please keep us updated. I would like to add that YSU quarterback Tanner Garry has transferred to Slippery Rock. To your earlier question 1AA FAN on the Current wide receiver situation. I do think there is a need but I don't think the staff is heading in that direction. The current  roster for the spring includes 11 WR's. I look for Townsend, Harvin, and Scott to be the 1, 2, and 3 guys and Williams, Shackleford, Brown and Swanson to fill in for added depth. It's interesting to see how some backs perform against Base, Nickel and dime packages these days in terms of yads per carry. That's where we really missed the likes of Ryan Moore this Season. If you can get positive yardage against all 3 your play selection and success on offense increases dramatically

Offline FOOTBALLFEVER

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: December 14, 2015, 02:03:53 PM »
Juco Qb Trent Hosick of Arizona Western will be making his official visit to YSU this weekend. It's my understanding the staff is very high on him and I look for him to be offered. He is actually closer to 6"0 215 then the original 6"2 225 that I had posted   

Offline ytownchief22

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: December 14, 2015, 02:13:21 PM »
Yep, they are on high on him from what I heard.

New Offer: Vitas Hrynkiewicz- JUCO Center from Independence, KS. 6-4, 305.

Offline ytownchief22

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: December 14, 2015, 02:18:19 PM »
Also forgot to add Keevon Harris from LaBrae. 6-3 ATH who is getting several FBS offers. Be nice to keep this kid at home.

Offline FOOTBALLFEVER

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: December 14, 2015, 02:33:33 PM »
Trent is a mirror image of Ricky Davis with Johnny Football size. I say if you want to go the Dual threat direction go with Ricky to preserve scholarships so you can bring in lineman that can support a running Qb

Offline go guins

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: December 14, 2015, 03:30:24 PM »
Trent is a mirror image of Ricky Davis with Johnny Football size. I say if you want to go the Dual threat direction go with Ricky to preserve scholarships so you can bring in lineman that can support a running Qb
I don't get this Ricky Davis, dual threat stuff.  This kid seems like a nice kid and all, but he can't pass well and he can't run well.  He runs better than Hunter, but not well.  Somebody go key up the games we played against running QB's and Ricky's "highlights" and it isn't compairable.  Ricky isn't a dual threat, damn, he isn't even a single threat!  I think you can win with Hunter, but you absolutely can't with Ricky.  Forget Ricky Davis. 

Offline ytownchief22

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: December 14, 2015, 04:43:00 PM »
I don't get this Ricky Davis, dual threat stuff.  This kid seems like a nice kid and all, but he can't pass well and he can't run well.  He runs better than Hunter, but not well.  Somebody go key up the games we played against running QB's and Ricky's "highlights" and it isn't compairable.  Ricky isn't a dual threat, damn, he isn't even a single threat!  I think you can win with Hunter, but you absolutely can't with Ricky.  Forget Ricky Davis.

You see Hunter throw the ball this year? Can't win with him either so guess we should go should with somebody new.

Offline FOOTBALLFEVER

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: December 14, 2015, 04:50:15 PM »
I'm not a fan of a Dual-threat Qb because the risk of injury is just to great. What if this kid was named the starter and Wells and Davis transfer out and He goes down 3 weeks into the season? Who do we turn to Mays? I Know this is all speculation to this point, but the fact he left Missouri because things didn't go his way in terms of playing time early on and then backing out of his commitment to BYU at the last minute tells me he doesn't necessarily like the idea of competition

Offline FOOTBALLFEVER

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: December 14, 2015, 05:24:07 PM »

You see Hunter throw the ball this year? Can't win with him either so guess we should go should with somebody new.
Hunter still throws better then Hosick..watching film of Arizona Western games reminds me of teams in the pioneer  conference..so that's not saying much

Offline go guins

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: December 15, 2015, 10:09:45 AM »
The stats for Southern Illinois QB recruit Jhakari Harrison out of Coconut Creek, FL are amazing.  I know, the 2 big questions about recruits are "system" and this kid is out of a wide open spread offence and "competition" and I don't know Cononut Creek from Duck Creek. but 3 games of 7+ TD's, 41 as a senior and 107 overall against even me would be at least something.

Offline HappyPenguin

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: December 15, 2015, 02:00:54 PM »
The stats for Southern Illinois QB recruit Jhakari Harrison out of Coconut Creek, FL are amazing.  I know, the 2 big questions about recruits are "system" and this kid is out of a wide open spread offence and "competition" and I don't know Cononut Creek from Duck Creek. but 3 games of 7+ TD's, 41 as a senior and 107 overall against even me would be at least something.

Wow. I wonder who else was after him? If its just them I'd feel better.

Offline IAA Fan

• Administrator
  • Emperor Penguin
  • Bring Coke back to YSU!!
    • View Profile
    • ysupenguins.com
« Reply #43 on: December 15, 2015, 03:22:29 PM »
Jhakari Harrison Offers:
-Southern Illinois Southern Illinois    Committed (7/10/2015)       
-Alcorn State Alcorn State
-Bethune-Cookman Bethune-Cookman    
-Florida A&M Florida A&M    
-Northern Colorado Northern Colorado    
-Samford

If you look at his film, you see why. He is no where near 6-1. Also the lack of his film showing any long balls tells me his arm is weak. Nice speed though. So he could be killer in the red-zone.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=auEKgOOjFqQ

Offline ytownchief22

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: December 15, 2015, 03:49:46 PM »
What's everyone think about Keemari Murry and Lynn Bowden from Harding?

Murry is a senior and I think he would be a nice fit here. He's smaller but tough and has nice speed.

Bowden is a junior and is an exceptional athlete. Will probably play WR in college, already has a ton of FBS offers so he may end up in Columbus but would be nice to keep this duo at home.