Author Topic: Toledo defensive coordinator Jon Heacock named interim head coach  (Read 22778 times)

Offline Penguin Nation

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
Who says history never repeats itself.  If named the permanent HC, it will be fascinating to watch the following seasons unfold.  It could be a chance for JH to redeem himself...or dismember another winning program.

http://www.si.com/college-football/2015/11/29/toledo-rockets-jon-heacock-interim-head-coach-matt-campbell

http://wkbn.com/2015/11/29/source-heacock-to-be-named-interim-for-campbell-at-toledo/
"These two cats that we played against from Youngstown State were as good of pass rushers as I've seen"

--WVU Head Coach Dana Holgorsen

Offline Penguin Nation

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
"These two cats that we played against from Youngstown State were as good of pass rushers as I've seen"

Offline guinpen

• Global Moderator
  • Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
Re: Toledo defensive coordinator Jon Heacock named interim head coach
« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2015, 05:53:47 PM »
I would be shocked if he gets the job full time. He is a great guy and a good D coordinator, just not head coach material.
“Life is hard, it’s harder if you're stupid” - John Wayne

Offline IAA Fan

• Administrator
  • Emperor Penguin
  • Bring Coke back to YSU!!
    • View Profile
    • ysupenguins.com
« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2015, 08:29:02 PM »
That is fine Nation. However, you have to believe coach H was a failure. I have never known him to be a failure at any position. In fact everyone knows he was expected to replace Cam at Indiana, which was the major reason he was dismissed by Cam, who (in turn) suffered the same fate a year later. Heacock will get serious consideration for the job and rightfully so. Peter principle does not apply. Coach H is now considered a veteran coach ...I am certain that UT will be looking for someone about 20-years younger. I hope he gets it.

Offline YSUGO

• Global Moderator
  • Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 29, 2015, 09:04:12 PM »
Heacock just couldn't pull the trigger on some sub par assistants.  We were paying all of them pennies on the dollar so the quality assistants wouldn't apply.  I liked him and he represented YSU well and ran a clean program.
He followed a legend and a HOF coach which no matter what he did the pressure had to be huge.  He got screwed out of getting us in one time and if we wouldn't have had the fumble against Marshall I think we would have qualified then too.  I wish him success!
A Penguin for life!!!

Offline ysubigred

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 30, 2015, 10:54:32 AM »
Heacock did more with less than the previous clown (Wolford) and the jury is out on BP?!? 1st year not so good  >:(

Offline Penguin Nation

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 30, 2015, 11:02:22 AM »
Wolf > JH versus UNI and P5 schools.

I'd say that JH had the same resources as JT, but the truth is JH had more....much more.  JH was handed a playoff caliber team...built and ready....all that was required was maintaining it.  JT had to build the program when he took over.

Offline paladin

• Emperor Penguin
  • Paladin
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 30, 2015, 02:49:23 PM »
Yes, its funny how the cheerleaders here want to bend the truth. The good old boy crowd is alive and well.  Heacock has one thing going for him at Toledo -- as much as he dislikes recruiting , its easier to recruit at Toledo than YSU. Higher  quality athletes there than here. Bigger budget.

Still, its possible to screw that up !  ;D

Offline go guins

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 30, 2015, 03:27:27 PM »
Yes, its funny how the cheerleaders here want to bend the truth. The good old boy crowd is alive and well.  Heacock has one thing going for him at Toledo -- as much as he dislikes recruiting , its easier to recruit at Toledo than YSU. Higher  quality athletes there than here. Bigger budget.

Still, its possible to screw that up !  ;D
How do you see Toledo as "easier" recruting than YSU?  The athletes may be better, but they have to be better to compete at 1-A  Bigger budget counts only if it is bigger than competitors, which I don't think it is.  At YSU you are competing with Akron, Kent, Dayton etc for talent.  It Toledo you are competing with Big10, how do they have a "bigger budget" etc?  Again, you make no sense.
Watching Penquins Football & Basketball since 1967!

Offline paladin

• Emperor Penguin
  • Paladin
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 30, 2015, 03:51:17 PM »
YSU competes against the MAC for area players. FBS vs. FCS.  Toledo competes against the MAC for players ( E. Mich. BG, C. Mich, etc )AND the LOWER B1G. That , in fact, brings in better players.  Toledo has a bigger budget than YSU. It does NOT have to be as big as low level, losing B1Gs . It competes with MAC schools with similar budgets, all bigger than YSU.  But Toledo has a winning tradition.

This is laughable -- Kent is a MAJOR losing program and still gets better players than YSU. Look at the area talent that picks Kent over YSU. Akron sucks and  yet area stars pick them over YSU.

The point is if Heacock does end up the HC there, even as much as he hates recruiting and didn't do well at it here, he should do better there  -- major program, winning tradition , FBS vs FCS, and bigger budget than YSU but same as the MAC, etc.

However, he IS capable of screwing it up.  8)

Offline Penguin Nation

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 30, 2015, 03:58:29 PM »
This is laughable -- Kent is a MAJOR losing program and still gets better players than YSU. Look at the area talent that picks Kent over YSU. Akron sucks and  yet area stars pick them over YSU.

This is why we need to play these schools in their house and establish ourselves as the #1 NEO D1 FB program.  The MAC East is always ranked lower than the MVFC....and Can't and Akron are the worst of the MAC East.  Let's dominate G5/FCS recruiting in NEO....and have some fun while we're at it.

What if we (God forbid) lose?  Then we get a payday and otherwise are in exactly the saem position we were in anyway.  No lose situation.

Offline Penguin Nation

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 30, 2015, 06:34:04 PM »
Nick Saban was HC at UT....it only makes sense that JH would too  :D

Offline YSU1

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 30, 2015, 09:56:15 PM »
Why is it we lose players to Akron and Kent.  No one goes to their games. No tradition.  No Bowl game until this year for Akron.  What is the draw.

Offline IAA Fan

• Administrator
  • Emperor Penguin
  • Bring Coke back to YSU!!
    • View Profile
    • ysupenguins.com
« Reply #13 on: November 30, 2015, 10:38:50 PM »
Wolf > JH versus UNI and P5 schools.

I'd say that JH had the same resources as JT, but the truth is JH had more....much more.  JH was handed a playoff caliber team...built and ready....all that was required was maintaining it.  JT had to build the program when he took over.

Untrue in every respect.  Duzzer was a much better HC than Tressel at that time and had great players. It is simply a matter of style. Tressel could not do squat in the OVC, which is why we went independent. Tressel then became an option offense, built up his coaching skills and moved on, leaving JH with little in terms of assistants.

Offline YSUFANSINCE1990

• King Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 01, 2015, 08:47:01 AM »
 John Heacock is your classic great assistant and coordinator, bad head coach.  He is a follower, not a leader.  Never comfortable dealing with all the other parts of being a head coach; media, fans, boosters, public appearances, speaking and so on.  But is very good in a dark room looking at video and putting together a great defensive game plan.   Not a criticism, just a fact.

As for why players go to MAC schools over YSU, it is Division 1 FBS, you get to play on national TV, the MAC has a weeknight ESPN package, you get to play in bowl games.   As for attendance, we don't draw much better, and we played two road games this year with less than 250 people.