Author Topic: Toledo defensive coordinator Jon Heacock named interim head coach  (Read 22780 times)

Offline go guins

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
Re: Toledo defensive coordinator Jon Heacock named interim head coach
« Reply #30 on: December 03, 2015, 10:17:55 AM »
Jon Heacock single handedly destroyed the YSU football program.   I challenge anyone to tell me any different.  Now the idiot is still trying to attack YSU football...  what an idiot

?? I more than challenge you and how is he "still trying to attack YSU football"? It is a nice article.
I'm with 1-AA  If a 1-A coach recruits in NE Ohio, he isn't "trying to attack YSU football", he is doing his job.  Good grief we don't have an "rights" on local talent.  And JH certainly had limits as a HC, but destroy the program?  I believe the number of coaches with 4 1-AA titles numbers about 1 doesn't it?  JT had the bar pretty high.  That next guy in after the legend has a tough road.
Watching Penquins Football & Basketball since 1967!

Offline guinpen

• Global Moderator
  • Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: December 03, 2015, 05:44:10 PM »
Jon Heacock single handedly destroyed the YSU football program.   I challenge anyone to tell me any different.  Now the idiot is still trying to attack YSU football...  what an idiot

Move on
“Life is hard, it’s harder if you're stupid” - John Wayne

Offline The YO Show

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: December 03, 2015, 07:28:44 PM »
I saw an article that said they named their offensive coordinator to HC next year. If thats what they did, why did they make Heacock interim HC at all???

http://www.sbnation.com/college-football/2015/12/2/9836190/jason-candle-toledo-football-coach

Offline IAA Fan

• Administrator
  • Emperor Penguin
  • Bring Coke back to YSU!!
    • View Profile
    • ysupenguins.com
« Reply #33 on: December 03, 2015, 09:06:09 PM »
Because Campbell is not taking coach H to Iowa State, but he was going to take the OC; so UT threw a quick one year deal together to keep him.

Offline FOOTBALLFEVER

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: December 16, 2015, 09:26:16 AM »
Football Scoop reporting that Heacock will join Campbell at Iowa St. and become D.C..Other sources say he is still weighing his options
« Last Edit: December 16, 2015, 10:40:24 AM by FOOTBALLFEVER »

Offline ysubigred

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: December 23, 2015, 07:45:06 AM »
Good ole' Jon and the boyzz looked good last night against a ranked Temple team. I called for his head his last year here,, Shame on me  :(

Offline go guins

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: December 23, 2015, 09:23:22 AM »
Good ole' Jon and the boyzz looked good last night against a ranked Temple team. I called for his head his last year here,, Shame on me  :(
His problem was more recruiting than coaching.  No recruiting required in interim roll. 

Offline IAA Fan

• Administrator
  • Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
    • ysupenguins.com
« Reply #37 on: December 23, 2015, 10:06:21 AM »
His problem was more recruiting than coaching.  No recruiting required in interim roll.

I really think it was more the entire staff's recruiting, as we had some really good recruits, quite a number of NFL tryouts and camps under coach H. Although coach H had the responsibility. I think two things gave him the reputation:

1. Said that he did not like the traveling required during the recruiting.
2. He did not have the depth of staff that coach T had, so Heacock really was traveling a lot more than a HC should. He could not get out into the local schools & make his face known.

Tressel had a good recruiting staff and he was basically called in "to close the deal" if need be. Coach H did not have that same luxury. To his credit ...although I think they a mistake with the type of players they recruited ...Wolf's first coaching staff were really solid recruiters.

Offline go guins

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: December 23, 2015, 01:20:38 PM »

I really think it was more the entire staff's recruiting, as we had some really good recruits, quite a number of NFL tryouts and camps under coach H. Although coach H had the responsibility. I think two things gave him the reputation:

1. Said that he did not like the traveling required during the recruiting.
2. He did not have the depth of staff that coach T had, so Heacock really was traveling a lot more than a HC should. He could not get out into the local schools & make his face known.

Tressel had a good recruiting staff and he was basically called in "to close the deal" if need be. Coach H did not have that same luxury. To his credit ...although I think they a mistake with the type of players they recruited ...Wolf's first coaching staff were really solid recruiters.
Another thing that gave him the "poor recruiter" label was the poor recruiting classes!  Maybe your comments are right about a "few good men" with NFL prospects is on the money, but frankly the breadth and depth of his recruiting didn't measure up.   Neither did Wolford’s.   I wonder if the staff restrictions can be supported with budget numbers from the periods in question.

Offline IAA Fan

• Administrator
  • Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
    • ysupenguins.com
« Reply #39 on: December 23, 2015, 01:59:25 PM »
I would not agree there Go. I think coach H's consistency may not have been to the standards of the middle Tressel years, but coach H's recruits were very good overall. The last few years when he was trying to convert to spread, especially the year we were hit with injuries. However, those were his last years and that is what most people will remember about coach H. Hard to compare because the two different coaches (T & H) as we were in a conference at that point & the 'glory" years for YSU were as an independent. In general though, the top athletes during the Heacock years were well above most in the Tressel years. When we moved into the Gateway, our players were noticeably behind the rest of the conference.

Certainly there were exceptions in both cases. I also feel that the 90's was when the Valley started to diminish as a power prep-level recruiting base. So where Tressel could take a chance on a local kid (that may be a reserve in HS), Heacock could not. Heacock also did more recruiting in states like CA, TX and GA because of this.

I agree with you on the general recruit of Wolf, I did not say his recruits were good, but his coaches were good recruiters ...it is just that I did not agree with the style of player that Wolf's guys recruited ...predominantly on defense.
« Last Edit: December 23, 2015, 02:04:48 PM by IAA Fan »

Offline go guins

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: December 23, 2015, 02:26:06 PM »
Where IMO Coach H didn't recruit as well, I thought he was a good football coach.  My issue with Wolford is he probably had more talent than Heacock, he wasn't much of a football coach.  I don't recall seeing a player as a freshman even with the team 4 years later, much less getting better as a player.  Now that obviously isn't factual.  There had to be plenty of players last 3-4 years, but boy I don't recall many and I honestly would be hard pressed to say "Joe" started out slow but over time he really seemed to improve.  Just didn't see it.  We saw is season after season, player after player with JT.