Author Topic: PELINI RADIO SHOW  (Read 13878 times)

Offline YSUFANSINCE1990

• King Penguin
    • View Profile
PELINI RADIO SHOW
« on: October 06, 2015, 08:16:32 AM »
 I listened last night, and a few interesting comments.   Pelini was very outspoken on his disappointment the first two games with the lack of a big crowd and overall interest in the program.  He didn't shy away from saying how disappointed he has been.

Hannon tried to get him to admit this is a very big game, his first real test in the conference against an explosive offense, but Pelini kept saying its just the next game.  But to regain the fan base and some swagger with this program, we need this one.

Also it appears Strickland done for the year, but rather mysterious as to why and what he did.   He is a big loss.

Offline ysubigred

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
Re: PELINI RADIO SHOW
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2015, 08:35:54 AM »
I listened last night, and a few interesting comments.   Pelini was very outspoken on his disappointment the first two games with the lack of a big crowd and overall interest in the program.  He didn't shy away from saying how disappointed he has been.

Hannon tried to get him to admit this is a very big game, his first real test in the conference against an explosive offense, but Pelini kept saying its just the next game.  But to regain the fan base and some swagger with this program, we need this one.

Also it appears Strickland done for the year, but rather mysterious as to why and what he did.   He is a big loss.

Geezz.. The crowds will come with wins and better weather, Hell this team is even bringing me out of a 3 year boycott of the Ice Castle  fb Man Strickland will hurt but hoping some of these huge underclassmen can fill in nicely.

Offline The YO Show

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2015, 08:55:42 AM »
Hopefully he is pleasantly surprised then this week. Should be a huge crowd. I think this game is a sellout.

Offline Train

• Royal Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2015, 09:17:22 AM »
LOL....sellout....no chance....lucky if it is at half capacity....

Offline The YO Show

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 06, 2015, 10:39:11 AM »
You think so train?  Heck the game against Saint francis had a bigger than half capacity crowd before it started raining it seemed like. Maybe im wrong but I would think a great turnout for a game where we play a ranked team now at home.

Offline ysubigred

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 06, 2015, 11:08:42 AM »
You think so train?  Heck the game against Saint francis had a bigger than half capacity crowd before it started raining it seemed like. Maybe im wrong but I would think a great turnout for a game where we play a ranked team now at home.

Plus 1 ^^

Offline paladin

• Emperor Penguin
  • Paladin
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 06, 2015, 02:20:40 PM »
Should be more correct with "butts in seats". Ticket sales is what  I said it would be in pre-season with dummy businessmen buying up tickets with all the Bo hype and still not being able to get employees or customers to use them and attend games. I'm told actual butts in seats attendance is barely half capacity and drops quickly. Even with wins, I see the butts in seats falling off as the season plays out.

Offline ScarletRook

• King Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 06, 2015, 03:51:37 PM »
Unfortunately, I don't think the AD cares if there are "butts in the seats" or just tickets sold.  From a bean counting stand point it all pays the same.  I had hoped that there would be a concerted effort to bring in fans aside from the usual promotional giveaways.  Sadly - it appears they have taken the "if we win they will come <eventually, we hope> attitude.
Paladin - back to you in the booth.

Online guinpen

• Global Moderator
  • Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 06, 2015, 07:54:48 PM »
Maybe not this week, maybe not this year, but when we start winning the big games the crowds will come. I recall the first home game after we won our first title, I assumed that it would be a sellout so I got my tickets way early, got to the game way early, was shocked when there were so many empty seats.

It took a year or so before the really big crowds showed up.

Hang in there Bo, just keep winning and it will happen.

“Life is hard, it’s harder if you're stupid” - John Wayne

Offline Wick250

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 06, 2015, 08:56:39 PM »
The climate has changed dramatically since we were good 15 to 20 years ago.  Every major power is on network or cable tv each week.  Large screen, high definition televisions entice casual fans to stay home and forego trips to a stadium.  The only schools that can draw impressively below the elite P5 level are the primary state universities in small population states (NDSU, Montana, Delaware before they stunk.)   We will probably never match the figures from the late 90s, but everything is relative.  We are still much healthier in terms of support than places like Akron and Kent State.

Offline ysufan0505

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 06, 2015, 09:56:50 PM »
Balash says over 11,000 tickets sold so far. I'm expecting a big crowd. Bo called out the fans again in his press conference today. Time to show up!

Offline Train

• Royal Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 07, 2015, 09:05:31 AM »
I hope the place is packed..!!...I refer to "butts in seats"...when speaking of attendance...which is what Coach and players look at...

more people...more noise...better atmosphere...it just looks terrible when the place only has a few thousand actual fans in the seats...

It is great to hear 11,000 tix have been sold...we all know what 11,000 fans look like in that stadium...lets see what it looks like Saturday..!....

this team has tons of talent...the cupboard was not bare when Bo took over...everyone expects big things from this group...

Offline Blo Pelini

• Humboldt Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 07, 2015, 09:08:07 AM »
Why is Bo fixating on the fans?  Nebraska sold out their stadium for like 50 years straight and still got upset at them.  Does anyone think he will be happy if the castle is even 80% filled?

If he focuses on things he can control, then I believe he will be more successful and YSU will become champions again. And that is what we want at YSU!!!
« Last Edit: October 07, 2015, 09:14:18 AM by Blo Pelini »

Offline ScarletRook

• King Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 07, 2015, 09:20:49 AM »
Does anyone think he will be happy if the castle is even 80% filled?

YES

Offline penguinpower

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 07, 2015, 09:25:11 AM »
Why is Bo fixating on the fans?  Nebraska sold out their stadium for like 50 years straight and still got upset at them.  Does anyone think he will be happy if the castle is even 80% filled?

If he focuses on things he can control, then I believe he will be more successful and YSU will become champions again. And that is what we want at YSU!!!

Fans=money and sometimes can contribute to wins.

Money helps with recruiting and retention of good coaches.

Recruiting and good coaches =winning.

Most people in Youngstown are so stupid they think Mooney and Ursuline football is good football.

YSU is looking to build loges on the other side of the field because corporate sponsorship brings in more money than the pussified fans that can't sit through a rain storm.

At least the students have made the Penguin Pack to get more of them to games.
« Last Edit: October 07, 2015, 09:26:23 AM by penguinpower »