Author Topic: PELINI RADIO SHOW  (Read 13985 times)

Offline ScarletRook

• King Penguin
    • View Profile
Re: PELINI RADIO SHOW
« Reply #15 on: October 07, 2015, 10:31:09 AM »
Fans=money and sometimes can contribute to wins.
Fans can also influence recruits and families when they attend games.
They also can influence others to attend games and tailgates.

Money helps with recruiting and retention of good coaches.
Money drives the train and decides what type of engine we have and how well the track is maintained.
It also pays good salaries to a crew that contributes little....but that is another topic.

Recruiting and good coaches =winning.
Which also brings in fans, money, better recruits and a good coaching staff.

Most people in Youngstown are so stupid they think Mooney and Ursuline football is good football.

In their day they were - as was YSU.  Let's focus on YSU please.

YSU is looking to build loges on the other side of the field because corporate sponsorship brings in more money than the pussified fans that can't sit through a rain storm.
....and brings in more money than those of us who sit through the rain and snow.

At least the students have made the Penguin Pack to get more of them to games.
Would like to hear more about that if you would be willing to share!

Offline Blo Pelini

• Humboldt Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 07, 2015, 10:37:34 AM »
Why is Bo fixating on the fans?  Nebraska sold out their stadium for like 50 years straight and still got upset at them.  Does anyone think he will be happy if the castle is even 80% filled?

If he focuses on things he can control, then I believe he will be more successful and YSU will become champions again. And that is what we want at YSU!!!

Most people in Youngstown are so stupid they think Mooney and Ursuline football is good football.

YSU is looking to build loges on the other side of the field because corporate sponsorship brings in more money than the pussified fans that can't sit through a rain storm.

Very good points and I agree with all of them.  My point isn't to underestimate the importance of people attending a game, but rather if "calling out" the fans 4 games into his inaugural season is the best time to do it.

Just focus on what you can control and win games.  Does anyone think, "Oh, Bo said we should go to the game, we better buy some tickets......" Probably not.

Offline penguinpower

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 07, 2015, 11:14:31 AM »
Fans can also influence recruits and families when they attend games.
They also can influence others to attend games and tailgates.

Money drives the train and decides what type of engine we have and how well the track is maintained.
It also pays good salaries to a crew that contributes little....but that is another topic.

Which also brings in fans, money, better recruits and a good coaching staff.

In their day they were - as was YSU.  Let's focus on YSU please.

....and brings in more money than those of us who sit through the rain and snow.

Would like to hear more about that if you would be willing to share!

Penguin Pack link below.  By the way the reason why I called out the Mooney and Ursuline fans is because 95% will attend the HS game but ignore YSU. I can provide endless examples and name names here too.

http://www.ysusports.com/general/releases/2015-16/penguin-pack-announce-1006
« Last Edit: October 07, 2015, 11:15:46 AM by penguinpower »

Offline ScarletRook

• King Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 07, 2015, 11:29:06 AM »
By the way the reason why I called out the Mooney and Ursuline fans is because 95% will attend the HS game but ignore YSU. I can provide endless examples and name names here too.

Penguinpower:

No beef with you and I certainly understand the frustration.
Mooney and Ursuline fans benefit greatly from YSU and don't show their support.

Thanks for the link to Penguin Pack.  I wish them great success!

There has been a long standing lack of support from the Youngstown community.  Restaurants expect our business but aside from the MVR, how many even display ANY type of Penguin pride?  I called out the manager of a business who said that it didn't fit the theme of the restaurant even though they displayed Browns and Steelers flags.

YSU is a great resource and benefit to the Youngstown area and if the people want their town to make a comeback, then support who supports you!

Offline The YO Show

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 07, 2015, 11:55:56 AM »
For the record, The penguin pack was formed by students, but the whole thing is orchestrated by the athletic department. The three students in charge are receiving scholarships or at least that was the plan.  The atheltic department was trying to encourage student participation.

I think it was a great idea though.

Offline FOOTBALLFEVER

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 07, 2015, 12:21:21 PM »
I wouldn't be surprised to see 12-15k actual fans in attendance for this game. There will be alot of walk up interest for this game. The 12th man could be a weapon for this program..THE TIME IS NOW !!

Offline FOOTBALLFEVER

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 07, 2015, 01:46:52 PM »
The climate has changed dramatically since we were good 15 to 20 years ago.  Every major power is on network or cable tv each week.  Large screen, high definition televisions entice casual fans to stay home and forego trips to a stadium.  The only schools that can draw impressively below the elite P5 level are the primary state universities in small population states (NDSU, Montana, Delaware before they stunk.)   We will probably never match the figures from the late 90s, but everything is relative.  We are still much healthier in terms of support than places like Akron and Kent State.
Wick you bring up some really good points. Still I look back at the 2012 Kent St. football season when they finished 11-3  and enjoyed one of their best seasons ever. The fans flocked to Dix stadium in droves and the numbers were legit. Show the community you can defeat the Missouri conference finest and compete for a title and they will return. What better way to show that then this Saturday.

Offline paladin

• Emperor Penguin
  • Paladin
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 07, 2015, 01:57:11 PM »
Rook -- for the record , you are correct. The AD is simply a beancounter, not an AD. He wants $$$$$$$$$$$$ no matter how he gets it   -- stupid businessmen buying up big blocks of tickets but not getting anyone to use them. He does nothing for the fan base and schedules  poor games for them to see.

Fever is also correct -- show you can consistently beat the MVFC best and not lose to weenie teams and the fans will come.  But the fact is, they are picked for 4th this year. And played weenie teams early and the probable cellar dweller early too.

The reality is, YSU is viewed as a second rate program run by a third rate athletic dept. So, 11K should look like more than half a full stadium and not the 3-4K its been. I don't see YSU beating the top teams and with bad weather coming up, Ohio St., etc, I don't see butts in seats being great. But the AD doesn't care. He is counting his beans.
« Last Edit: October 07, 2015, 02:01:20 PM by paladin »

Offline ysufan0505

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 07, 2015, 05:49:25 PM »
I'm expecting at least 15k there Saturday. David Rivers had a great quote in the press conference:

We would like to get a full stadium and pack it, because it’s a big game,” Rivers said. “We want to feed off the crowd. Whether people believe it or not — having that home field advantage — it really does something to the offense and defense.”