Author Topic: Horizon League passes cost-of-attendance measure  (Read 11813 times)

Offline Penguin Nation

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
Horizon League passes cost-of-attendance measure
« on: April 14, 2015, 10:47:00 AM »
INDIANAPOLIS (AP) — The Horizon League has voted to expand scholarship limits that will cover the full cost-of-attendance for some athletes.

Detroit Mercy President Antoine Garibaldi made the announcement Monday, saying the conference's board of directors passed the measure unanimously.

Officials from the Indianapolis-based league say the additional money will go only to men's basketball players and an equal number of female athletes in league-sponsored sports.

The additional money covers costs that go beyond traditional scholarship limits, which previously covered only tuition, room and board, books and fees. The five power conferences approved a similar measure in January and gave other conferences the option of adopting similar provisions.

One league school, Oakland University, already has issued a statement saying it will develop a strategic plan for rapid implementation of the measure.

http://www.ksl.com/?nid=283&sid=34225938
"These two cats that we played against from Youngstown State were as good of pass rushers as I've seen"

--WVU Head Coach Dana Holgorsen

Offline Penguin Nation

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
Re: Horizon League passes cost-of-attendance measure
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2015, 10:54:51 AM »
Is this the straw that broke the camel's back/YSU's hope of ever succeeding in MBB as an HL member?

I don't see how YSU can comply with this, although I'm not sure if this is a suggestion or a mandate.  Even if it is a suggestion, it seems that the recruiting gulf between complying schools and non-complying schools will widen even further.

Maybe it's time to look at conference reallignment.....maybe for all sports including FB.
"These two cats that we played against from Youngstown State were as good of pass rushers as I've seen"

Offline JP21

• Royal Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2015, 11:18:54 AM »
We need to get out of the Horizon league.  We get embarrassed year in and year out.  If you can't compete in a conference why stay in it.  The same for football applies as well.  We have been a laughing stock in the Missouri Valley since we joined, time to move on.  If the university can't sustain D1 athletics then we should move to D2.

Offline Penguin Nation

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile

Offline IAA Fan

• Administrator
  • Emperor Penguin
  • Bring Coke back to YSU!!
    • View Profile
    • ysupenguins.com
« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2015, 05:21:42 PM »
Officials from the Indianapolis-based league say the additional money will go only to men's basketball players and an equal number of female athletes in league-sponsored sports.

Just hilarious. They claim there is a reason they must have this money for men's basketball listing specific reasons, but don't give a crap which female athletes get the cash ...just as long as it is female athletes so it complies with Title-IX. Just hilarious. Is the NCAA a joke or what?

Offline ysufan0505

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 14, 2015, 06:14:10 PM »

Just hilarious. They claim there is a reason they must have this money for men's basketball listing specific reasons, but don't give a crap which female athletes get the cash ...just as long as it is female athletes so it complies with Title-IX. Just hilarious. Is the NCAA a joke or what?

The whole NCAA is a joke.

Offline guinpen

• Global Moderator
  • Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 14, 2015, 09:24:06 PM »
If you want to play with the big kids you need to pay like the big kids!
“Life is hard, it’s harder if you're stupid” - John Wayne

Offline Wick250

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 14, 2015, 11:12:49 PM »
Partial scholarships have been a fact of life for FCS football players and athletes in many Olympic sports for many decades.  So the fact that one athlete on campus gets more compensation than another is common.  But different compensation for athletes who are receiving full scholarships is another matter altogether.  That is a new and dangerous practice.  Sooner rather than later, a volleyball player with a full scholarship on some D1 campus is going to go to court and argue that she is entitled to a money stipend just like her friend, the basketball player who also holds a full scholarship.  She will win that lawsuit.  And on that day, D1 college sports as we know it will disappear.

Offline mvfc penguin

• Humboldt Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 15, 2015, 10:59:03 AM »
If basketball is your only measurement of how well a team is doing in the conference, then you do not belong in the fandom of college athletics.
Take a look at track & field, cross country, W tennis, W golf, W basketball, softball and even though its hard to say baseball last year. All of the other sports are excelling in the Horizon league.
You can't justify leaving the Horizon league when there is only 1 or 2 sports that are not playing to the competition, when the majority of the sports are excelling.

Everybody please give credit where credit is due!!!!

Offline Penguin Nation

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 15, 2015, 11:26:25 AM »
If basketball is your only measurement of how well a team is doing in the conference, then you do not belong in the fandom of college athletics.
Take a look at track & field, cross country, W tennis, W golf, W basketball, softball and even though its hard to say baseball last year. All of the other sports are excelling in the Horizon league.
You can't justify leaving the Horizon league when there is only 1 or 2 sports that are not playing to the competition, when the majority of the sports are excelling.

My concern was that the YSU athletic budget for MBB is among the lowest in the HL, and enhanced scholarships would be unaffordable for an already underfunded program.

When I was at a YSU MBB game this year, I purchased 50/50 tickets that supported another sport (I think women's soccer).  I don't think they generated much revenue that night, because there were so few fans there.

My point is that the revenue generating sports are more important, from a fiscal perspective, than non-revenue generating sports.  The budget of, women's soccer, for example, is improved when FB and MBB succeed.

YSU's revenue generating sports would be more appealing to fans possibly if we were in a conference we were competitive in.  We are not competitive in MBB.  In FB, we are mediocre in the MVFC.  It is complicated as fan interest would be improved with a better OOC schedule and other variables.  Also, the MVFC is a poor geographical fit for YSU.  The HL is a decent geographical fit, but so are the NEC and OVC.

I still have questions about the additional funding for the enhanced scholarships.  If this funding is/was available, why was it not tapped earlier to make YSU MBB more competitive?

Offline paladin

• Emperor Penguin
  • Paladin
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 15, 2015, 11:30:40 AM »
Actually, you should look at the OVERALL success of the other sports in the HL over the years. Using that standard, Strollo has been an utter failure because last year was the only one in his tenure where most HL sports teams did  fairly well. Previous to that, YSU teams for the most part all those years were pitiful and had success only rarely.

That is the REAL credit due.

Offline ysufan0505

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 15, 2015, 12:02:06 PM »

Those sports don't sell tickets and don't produce the revenue. Sorry

Offline ysuguins4

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 15, 2015, 12:02:34 PM »
I still have questions about the additional funding for the enhanced scholarships.  If this funding is/was available, why was it not tapped earlier to make YSU MBB more competitive?

It should be tapped to buy Jerry out of his contract.

Offline go guins

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 15, 2015, 04:10:31 PM »
Read as "Horizon League Passes Price Increase for Basketball Tickets"
Watching Penquins Football & Basketball since 1967!

Offline Penguin Nation

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 16, 2015, 12:18:50 PM »
COA scholarships have reached the FCS. 

http://footballscoop.com/news/source-liberty-will-be-first-fcs-program-to-provide-cost-of-attendance/

http://www.liberty.edu/flames/index.cfm?PID=10869&NewsID=14576&TeamID=

There is speculation on AGS that NDSU, and perhaps other MVFC programs, will offer enhanced scholarships.