Author Topic: State of men’s basketball  (Read 101198 times)

Offline Penguin Nation

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
Re: Marcus Keene, Osandi Vaughn leaving YSU
« Reply #15 on: March 25, 2015, 06:18:43 AM »
Jerry has finished with a 2 win HL record three of the last six seasons. Jerry has finished ninth or tenth in the HL three of the last six seasons. In his ten years, half of the seasons were ninth or tenth place finishes. He has had a losing record in the HL every year except one.

For the second straight year, leading scorers are prematurely leaving the team.  Last year it was after one player punched another.

Jerry recruited these kids, and should recruit kids that want to be Penguins, and who are proud to be Penguins. He should, like any good leader, retain quality talent.

This is all on Jerry...except the record of failure is so extensive that the blame really shifts more and more to the AD, and even to those above the AD.
"These two cats that we played against from Youngstown State were as good of pass rushers as I've seen"

--WVU Head Coach Dana Holgorsen

Offline YsuPride

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 25, 2015, 07:08:53 AM »
Bottom line is Slocum is in charge of whatever happens.  Just like any of us at our jobs.  If someone is in a position to be in charge of a business or whatever they have to understand the accountability that comes with it.  Jerry is fully accountable for the programs conditions.  I personally have spoken to students who are close to some players and they say the players do not care for Slocum.  The program has hit rock bottom with no end in sight.   

Offline IAA Fan

• Administrator
  • Emperor Penguin
  • Bring Coke back to YSU!!
    • View Profile
    • ysupenguins.com
« Reply #17 on: March 25, 2015, 07:11:46 AM »
Never heard any statements ...so no one threw anyone "under the bus". In fact I cannot say that I ever heard of any such statements ever coming from Slocum about any players.

Offline YsuPride

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 25, 2015, 07:14:18 AM »
Funny thing we change the head football coach with a winning record but keep Slocum who record is terrible.
Kinda makes you scratch your head and wonder.

Spiderlegs

« Reply #19 on: March 25, 2015, 09:38:44 AM »
I was surprised Keene was invited back after the incident with Weber last year, so i can't say his departure is a real loss--he doesn't belong here.  He's a good player, but his ego seems to be getting in the way. I can't comment on Vaughn but it sounds like from the Vindy article he wants to be closer to home.

Offline Penguin Nick

• Royal Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 25, 2015, 11:24:32 AM »
I am so tired of the mediocrity that is YSU men's basketball.  How and why this crap is allowed to go on year after year after year is mind-boggling.  You get what you pay for and what you invest in, and when you pay your coach very little compared to what he should be paid (esp compared to your 1AA football coach), when your arena has rickety bleachers and you can't even see the scoreboard half-way up these bleachers, and when your out-of-conference schedule is as pathetic as our schedule is, then this is what you get.  Until we hold coach and Strollo accountable, this will continue to happen. 

Offline ysufan0505

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 25, 2015, 11:32:12 AM »
Vaughn's statements...

“The coaching staff has a good philosophy, but it doesn’t fit me,” he said in a telephone interview on Tuesday afternoon. “I’m more of a guy who drives to the basket and he’s a jump-shooting coach, a 3-pointer coach."

“I came in here averaging 20 points per game in junior college and I was shooting like nine free throws a game. He tried to change me and that style of play doesn’t fit me. I’d rather go somewhere where I fit the style of play.”

“I wasn’t happy about the things to do here in Youngstown, but that was only about five percent [of the decision],” he said. “And it’s cold. That played a major factor.

“Leaving Youngstown is the best thing I could do. I need to go somewhere where my family can get to the games. It’s eight hours from home and I need to get closer.”

Offline jbags

• Royal Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 25, 2015, 12:07:20 PM »
Vaughn's quote proves my point exactly....we need a staff with contacts in Ohio and W. PA...kids stay here for a season and if they dont see the court much or are too far away from home, they up and leave. We can fill a roster with guys like that over the years. Kudos to kids like DJ and Kendrick; kids that commit to a program even though they are a long way from home. Why do we need to recruit in Texas when we can find kids just as good much closer to Youngstown. Slocum coached a Gannon and won a lot of games there, it would interesting to see the make up of his squads there. Id be willing to bet that the majority of his players couldve played here. Its not like the talent level here has won much of anything since Rice left. These defections are becoming unacceptable. It seems to be the trademark of the past two regimes. Lets just build this the right way. Personally, I think Andre Smith (ex player) would be a fine choice to begin the turnaround

Offline jbags

• Royal Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 25, 2015, 12:32:35 PM »
Just checked out Lourdes Univ website and see that Leroy King is on Dre's staff. Who better than 2 ex YSU players that understand this university and also what it takes to play at a mid major level, to turn this around. Id bet they both would jump at the chance.

Offline Penguin Nation

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 25, 2015, 03:04:36 PM »
I thought it was outrageous that a player punches another player, and then stays on the team.

Character should be a factor in recruiting.

Was the snow, or the role Vaughn would be asked to play a surprise to him? I strongly suspect there  are way more to his reasons for leaving than that.
"These two cats that we played against from Youngstown State were as good of pass rushers as I've seen"

--WVU Head Coach Dana Holgorsen

Offline guinpen

• Global Moderator
  • Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 25, 2015, 05:38:14 PM »
Vaughn's statements...

“The coaching staff has a good philosophy, but it doesn’t fit me,” he said in a telephone interview on Tuesday afternoon. “I’m more of a guy who drives to the basket and he’s a jump-shooting coach, a 3-pointer coach."

“I came in here averaging 20 points per game in junior college and I was shooting like nine free throws a game. He tried to change me and that style of play doesn’t fit me. I’d rather go somewhere where I fit the style of play.”

“I wasn’t happy about the things to do here in Youngstown, but that was only about five percent [of the decision],” he said. “And it’s cold. That played a major factor.

“Leaving Youngstown is the best thing I could do. I need to go somewhere where my family can get to the games. It’s eight hours from home and I need to get closer.”

Sounds like he thought it out, good luck to him
“Life is hard, it’s harder if you're stupid” - John Wayne

Offline ysufan0505

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 25, 2015, 07:24:33 PM »
Thing that stuck out to me is when Vaughn said Slocum plays a different style than what my game is.... Really? So why recruit him to come here when he is not going to fit your style of play??

Offline IAA Fan

• Administrator
  • Emperor Penguin
  • Bring Coke back to YSU!!
    • View Profile
    • ysupenguins.com
« Reply #27 on: March 25, 2015, 08:50:47 PM »
Thing that stuck out to me is when Vaughn said Slocum plays a different style than what my game is.... Really? So why recruit him to come here when he is not going to fit your style of play??

you are so anti-Slocum that you are seeing this backwards. Vaughn knew his role & the weather. He may have found out he cannot do either, but still that is nothing on Slocum. It happens in football all the time. I was getting sick of these Florida guys. anyone any good leaves for the heat. anyone not worth a darn, knows it and stays.

Let's just see how the recruits work out and who comes with the two open scholarships. As strange as this sounds and I am showing my age, I would like to go back to having a week of open tryouts again. You would be surprised what comes your way.

Offline YSUGO

• Global Moderator
  • Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 25, 2015, 09:44:39 PM »
I have to agree the kid knew when he was recruited what style of play we run.  Guard oriented and outside shooting.  Slocum gave Keene the keys to the car and the kid screwed him. Perry who was way better than Keene didn't have any problems with him. 
A Penguin for life!!!

Offline popsicle

• Humboldt Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: March 25, 2015, 09:56:25 PM »
1AA? These Florida guys? The ones who are good leave and the ones who aren't stay? So would Kendrick fall into the ..............which one? You are so out of touch.
Osandi found out....or realized.....it was cold in Youngstown? Really? Guess he wasn't a geography major! Yet only 5 % of his decision was based on what there was to do in Youngstown! God love Youngstown.......but there is not a whole lot to do!
"The wheels have come off"......."Elvis has left the building"......" The fat lady has sung"........."jerry is coaching"? One doesn't fit. You solve the puzzle...riddle....whatever you may deem it so that it sounds complex in your high thinking analysis.
Things outlive their usefulness. Happens all the time.
By the way......haven't heard any updates on the current roster making GPA rewards recognition? Did I miss it?