Author Topic: CONGRATS!! To the UNI Panthers!!  (Read 21352 times)

Offline ysubigred

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
CONGRATS!! To the UNI Panthers!!
« on: February 27, 2015, 08:41:13 AM »
Just a shout out to one of our MVFC foe's!!

10th ranked and going to the big dance with a good seed!!  ;) Man just think how bad they'd kick YSU's a$$ in Round-Ball  8)

Offline HappyPenguin

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
Re: CONGRATS!! To the UNI Panthers!!
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2015, 10:46:53 AM »
So how deep will their BBall team need to go in order to not be considered choke artists like their football team?

Offline ysuguins4

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2015, 12:17:43 PM »
Wow.  A top-tier FCS football school can also compete for it's conference title in hoops.  Imagine that.

Offline Penguin Nation

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2015, 12:26:10 PM »
Congrats to UNI.  Go Panthers.

UNI and YSU have almost identical enrollment #s.....both are FCS and MVFC schools.......the difference is the two schools have different athletic directors.....
"These two cats that we played against from Youngstown State were as good of pass rushers as I've seen"

--WVU Head Coach Dana Holgorsen

Lets_Talk

« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2015, 03:16:29 PM »
As of right now, South Dakota State is in the tournament according to Bracketology as they are 1/2 game ahead of NDSU in the Summit League. Good chance either SDSU(21-8/12-3) or NDSU(20-9/12-4)will be in the NCAA Tournament, with the other possibly in the NIT.

Stefen F. Austin(23-4/13-1) and Sam Houston State(22-5/13-1) are tied for 1st place in the Southland. Both are pretty good FCS football playing schools, and a good chance one ends up in the NCAA Tournament, and the other in the NIT.

Eastern Washington(21-7/12-3) is tied for 1st place in the Big Sky with Sacramento State(18-8/12-3)... Montana is one game behind in the loss column at 12-4 and 16-11 overall

Chattanooga is 21-9/14-3 and 1/2 game behind Wofford for 1st place in the SoCon

So, there may well be other teams in addition to UNI that will have made the FCS playoffs and also the NCAA Tournament, including MVFC members SDSU or NDSU.... And, Illinois State at 18-11/10-7 is 3rd in the Missouri Valley, and could pull an upset and win the MVC Tournament... They lost to UNI twice, but the game at ISU was 54-53..they also lost only 68-62 to Wichita State, which is likely headed to the NCAA Tournament

Offline ysufan0505

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2015, 05:32:01 PM »
What's it like to be over .500??? Not sure.....

Offline IAA Fan

• Administrator
  • Emperor Penguin
  • Bring Coke back to YSU!!
    • View Profile
    • ysupenguins.com
« Reply #6 on: February 27, 2015, 10:56:53 PM »
Yes and the rest of the country even knows who they are? This just happens to be one of those years where they feel the need to push a few unknown mid-majors. Then when these teams get blasted in the first or second round of the tourney, they will complain, just like the year they put 4 MVC teams in the NCAA. Second place Horizon teams were getting respect when Butler was in the conference as well. Just like St. Mary's is to Gonzaga ...UNI is to Wichita State. Two teams no one will ever give a crap about, unless you are an opposing coach.

We would have to be about $4m to $5m higher in budget to compete in the MVC. At that point, the MAC seems a better investment. UNI has no facilities. Like YSU baseball with Cafaro, UNI pays rent on their Dome and have no football stadium. UNI is one of the three major public universities in Iowa ...they are #3. YSU is #14 out of 14 major public institutions in Ohio.

Offline YsuPride

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 28, 2015, 08:06:01 AM »
Same old budget excuses.   Excuses, Excuses, Excuses!!!!!    Can't you admit we just SUCK

Offline penguin4ever

• Rock Hopper Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 28, 2015, 02:57:38 PM »
Congrats to UNI.  Go Panthers.

UNI and YSU have almost identical enrollment #s.....both are FCS and MVFC schools.......the difference is the two schools have different athletic directors.....

I can't agree more!  Nothing will change until Strollo is gone. 

Offline DoubleE

• Royal Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 28, 2015, 04:08:24 PM »
and the UNI goes and loses today to Wichita State

Offline guinpen

• Global Moderator
  • Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 28, 2015, 07:02:36 PM »
So how deep will their BBall team need to go in order to not be considered choke artists like their football team?

Funny
“Life is hard, it’s harder if you're stupid” - John Wayne

Offline guinpen

• Global Moderator
  • Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 28, 2015, 07:03:50 PM »
and the UNI goes and loses today to Wichita State

Ok Congrats UNI.

Offline IAA Fan

• Administrator
  • Emperor Penguin
  • Bring Coke back to YSU!!
    • View Profile
    • ysupenguins.com
« Reply #12 on: February 28, 2015, 10:07:35 PM »
So why would anyone want Strollo gone? I mean we have grown so much as a university under his watch. Sports have improved so dramatically. It just goes to show, if you do not win in football and MBB ..then people do not care.

Offline guinpen

• Global Moderator
  • Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 01, 2015, 12:05:01 PM »
So why would anyone want Strollo gone? I mean we have grown so much as a university under his watch. Sports have improved so dramatically. It just goes to show, if you do not win in football and MBB ..then people do not care.

sad but true

Offline Penguin Nation

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 01, 2015, 12:22:08 PM »

sad but true

FB and MBB are the #1 and #2 revenue generating sports at YSU.  Failure in these sports adversely affects the athletic department budget and all other sports.  Media coverage of success in FB or MBB enormously overshadows any Olympic sport success.  For example, when I went to school in DC in the 90s, and ppl would see my YSU shirt, I'd not infrequently be told they watched YSU FB games on TV and they'd ask about the program.  I have yet to have a single person ask me about Indoor Track.

Success in Olympic sports is no excuse for underachieving FB or MBB programs, and failure in these revenue generating sports is AD malpractice.

« Last Edit: March 01, 2015, 12:42:20 PM by Penguin Nation »
"These two cats that we played against from Youngstown State were as good of pass rushers as I've seen"

--WVU Head Coach Dana Holgorsen