Author Topic: Spring Ball  (Read 16764 times)

Offline mvfc penguin

• Humboldt Penguin
    • View Profile
Spring Ball
« on: February 23, 2015, 11:05:01 AM »
When spring ball starts on March 17(St. Patricks Day), who will be the biggest surprises and letdowns of spring? Especially with some of the new players and players having to step up into bigger roles such as Jacob Wood (TE), Cole Newsome (Center), and Itavious Hrvin (WR).

Offline go guins

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
Re: Spring Ball
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2015, 11:28:25 AM »
I "HOPE" biggest surprise is a couple cornerbacks and at least 1 safety!
Watching Penquins Football & Basketball since 1967!

Offline mvfc penguin

• Humboldt Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2015, 11:32:12 AM »
Kenneth Durden is eligible to play now so that will be an upgrade at CB, and Nate Dortch is a very underrated corner. They both will be very tough for opposing quarterbacks to throw at especially with an upgraded corner coach. With having Jameel Smith coming back at Safety there is some uncertainty there, but not as much as having an unproven player come in. So I feel that we will be fine in those areas.

Offline ysufan0505

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2015, 01:12:19 PM »
Man, Durden would have been huge for us last year! Glad to have him on board this year. Along with Dortch and Rivers and Thompson, we have some depth at corner.

I want to see who will play inside on the DL along with Kromah. Will they try Avery Moss inside as a pass rusher? Will it be Jimmy Kitchen finally earning a spot? Or will it be some of the younger guys, (Squiric, Hagood)?

Offline go guins

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2015, 03:52:55 PM »
I don't know Durden other than his Lowndes High School highlights as I see nothing available on USF time.  I don't want to downplay potential contributions from Dortch, Rivers and Thompson but they couldn't beat out the cooking show host for a starting spot and I don't think good ol' Julia Childs could cover me! 
Durden has good size but what were eligibility issues?
I have no idea about where for Moss, but somewhere is a pretty good bet!  Obviously more holes inside than DE, but maybe a DE goes to OL to further improve edge rush.  Best way to cover for secondary is pass rush.

Offline ysufan0505

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2015, 11:39:38 PM »
I don't know Durden other than his Lowndes High School highlights as I see nothing available on USF time.  I don't want to downplay potential contributions from Dortch, Rivers and Thompson but they couldn't beat out the cooking show host for a starting spot and I don't think good ol' Julia Childs could cover me! 
Durden has good size but what were eligibility issues?
I have no idea about where for Moss, but somewhere is a pretty good bet!  Obviously more holes inside than DE, but maybe a DE goes to OL to further improve edge rush.  Best way to cover for secondary is pass rush.

USF held him up because they did not want him to leave in the 1st place. Sabotage.

Offline ysuguins4

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 25, 2015, 12:20:23 PM »
I'll be most interested in following the progress of the secondary.  I am also curious as to how much time Ricky Davis sees at QB with the first team O.  Is Bo as sold on Wells as Monty is?

Offline FOOTBALLFEVER

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 25, 2015, 07:17:45 PM »
I feel much better about the defense as a whole heading into the spring then last fall. With the exception of Williams it will be interesting how the younger receivers step up in their roles. We our still thin in that area and I expect some true freshman to contribute in the fall. With only 3 active Qb's on the roster due to Wargo transferring all 3 need reps with the 1st team. I'm also curious to see if Pelini is sold on Wells. Does Bo have Montgomery change the complexity of the offense and tone it down to bring out more of Ricky's strengths? The one good thing is Wells has been able to add a significant amount of weight and could be up to 220 by the summer camp.

Offline ScarletRook

• King Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 25, 2015, 07:48:42 PM »
I like Davis  and like his mobility...There were a few games that Wells could have walked for a first down and threw the ball away.  Chalking it up to being a freshman, but even he admits he doesn't like to run.
With Pelini being a defensive coach, I expect Montgomery will have full reign and Hunter will be the man.  I just hope that we utilize our RB's and TE for a change as we have an enviable stable.

Offline go guins

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 03, 2015, 09:31:37 AM »
I find the interest in Davis confusing.  Obviously Montgomery was 100% "taken" with him.  If Pelini decided to keep Montgomery, then that's the way we are going.  All of football is about throwning and Wells is our best thrower.  The comment about being able to "walk for 1st downs" is a little be of a reach, but it would be better if Wells could move a little better, but oh well, it's Wells! 

Offline IAA Fan

• Administrator
  • Emperor Penguin
  • Bring Coke back to YSU!!
    • View Profile
    • ysupenguins.com
« Reply #10 on: March 03, 2015, 09:36:53 AM »
I felt that Wells made some deliberate running attempts late in the season, so clearly he is aware and the staff is working with him. He needs to get the full-back vision. No more than 5-yards. Just enough to grab the 1st, or get it in the end-zone inside the 5. Anymore is just gravy.

Offline go guins

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 03, 2015, 09:47:05 AM »
I just went back and watched a couple of the HUDL taps on Hunter from Fairless HS.  His 40 time isn't great, but it's OK and he seemed to move pretty good in HS.  I wouldn't be surprised to see move movement in this 2nd year at YSU.  More size and strength wouldn't hurt either, so the 210 lbs. is a good sign.

Offline YsuPride

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 03, 2015, 02:14:47 PM »
I am excited for spring ball.  I hope Bo and his staff is the answer.   The valley needs YSU football to be successful.   Go Guins!!!

Offline DoubleE

• Royal Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 08, 2015, 12:33:50 PM »
Am I the only one who is interested who else transfers in to join the program after their respective spring balls ? (Brionte Dunn for example)

Offline Karl Hungus

• Humboldt Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 08, 2015, 02:54:43 PM »
Am I the only one who is wishing for a Saturday afternoon game with tailgating.