Author Topic: 2015 YSU Football Recruiting Thread  (Read 160217 times)

Offline ysufan0505

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
Re: 2015 YSU Football Recruiting Thread
« Reply #135 on: January 29, 2015, 10:17:20 AM »
Malkin Leonard has changed his commitment from YSU, to Notre Dame College (D2)

Offline FOOTBALLFEVER

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #136 on: January 29, 2015, 10:27:55 AM »
Malkin Leonard has changed his commitment from YSU, to Notre Dame College (D2)
GOOD!!

Offline ysufan0505

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #137 on: January 29, 2015, 10:35:07 AM »
Not sure if this was stated but Mabin from Nordonia has committed to Fordham.

Offline paladin

• Emperor Penguin
  • Paladin
    • View Profile
« Reply #138 on: January 29, 2015, 10:39:01 AM »
That is a loss. Big loss. Mabin is a player. And, again, I agree, Fever. Why Leonard was even offered speaks poorly of YSU recruiting.
« Last Edit: January 29, 2015, 10:41:49 AM by paladin »

Offline FOOTBALLFEVER

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #139 on: January 29, 2015, 10:42:50 AM »
^^^^^ Agree 110% ..Not Good !!

Offline Brandon3585

• Rock Hopper Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #140 on: January 29, 2015, 10:46:33 AM »
Hello. I am (obviously) a new member to this board. I am actually a BIG Ohio state fan but I came to this board because I live in Urbana and you guys are getting Nathan Mays so I wanted to keep up with him from real ysu fans. I want be very active but I do want to hear what you guys think of him. Yes, he will be committing to ysu if you didn't know yet. In my opinion, he will be a great QB and a good fit in pelini's system. I'm excited to follow him through his college and (hopefully) pro-career.

Offline YSUFan1962

• Rock Hopper Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #141 on: January 29, 2015, 10:54:33 AM »
Wolf and Bricillo did a great job recruiting, we have (2) top rated O-linemen committed; James Wilson from NJ and Gavin Wiggins from Eastern PA.  Wilson had 11 other FBS offers including Division I Old Dominion, and Wiggins had at least 3 offers.   I have seen the film on these two, a great addition to the Offense, I cannot wait to see them play. 

http://www.hudl.com/athlete/1231966/james-wilson

http://www.hudl.com/athlete/1818890/gavin-wiggins

Offline ysufan0505

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #142 on: January 29, 2015, 12:09:26 PM »
That is a loss. Big loss. Mabin is a player. And, again, I agree, Fever. Why Leonard was even offered speaks poorly of YSU recruiting.

I agree. Mabin would have been a big get for Bo.

Offline FOOTBALLFEVER

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #143 on: January 29, 2015, 12:25:57 PM »
Wolf and Bricillo did a great job recruiting, we have (2) top rated O-linemen committed; James Wilson from NJ and Gavin Wiggins from Eastern PA.  Wilson had 11 other FBS offers including Division I Old Dominion, and Wiggins had at least 3 offers.   I have seen the film on these two, a great addition to the Offense, I cannot wait to see them play. 

http://www.hudl.com/athlete/1231966/james-wilson

http://www.hudl.com/athlete/1818890/gavin-wiggins
I wouldn't have expected anything less from Wolford. Brought in top quality lineman every year. Wiggins is the better of the two. I like the way he stays low on defense and moves down the line of scrimmage. We our thin at the DT position this could be a option for him early on as we have a stock pile of O -lineman

Offline IAA Fan

• Administrator
  • Emperor Penguin
  • Bring Coke back to YSU!!
    • View Profile
    • ysupenguins.com
« Reply #144 on: January 29, 2015, 12:53:44 PM »
I would not go overboard with Florida players, but I do not think Pelini is going to ignore them. Because of saturation (too many teams recruiting Florida) we are getting just as many leftovers from down there, as we would from anywhere else. So many teams are grabbing Florida kids that quality (better) mid-west players are being ignored. I think this is especially true on defense. So why not bring in a few more local kids to excite the fans base?

I think the issue we have with those guys relates back to my feelings on style of ball. This SEC style of ball is rapidly going away, since OSU beat Alabama. As mentioned several times earlier, Wolf had too many athletes and not enough players. The Guins keep up with receivers & that is enough to stop things down there, but up North ...MVFC QB's are going to throw the ball as they know our coverage is weak; so we have to be able to play the ball and tackle. Also, we need to bring more pressure to force these throws early.

Offline penguinpower

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #145 on: January 29, 2015, 01:21:51 PM »
Hello. I am (obviously) a new member to this board. I am actually a BIG Ohio state fan but I came to this board because I live in Urbana and you guys are getting Nathan Mays so I wanted to keep up with him from real ysu fans. I want be very active but I do want to hear what you guys think of him. Yes, he will be committing to ysu if you didn't know yet. In my opinion, he will be a great QB and a good fit in pelini's system. I'm excited to follow him through his college and (hopefully) pro-career.

Most on here are also big Ohio State fans as well.

Offline paladin

• Emperor Penguin
  • Paladin
    • View Profile
« Reply #146 on: January 29, 2015, 03:36:16 PM »
Again, have to agree, Fever.  Wolf has brought in two more very good linemen. I still chuckle about his players having "low football IQs" according to some here. The fact is, he brought in very solid players over the years. His DC failed him and the players were not used well.

Florida, of course, is where everyone goes for talent. And Florida has a  huge supply. More than Ohio. More than Pa. More than both COMBINED.  And the coach who fails  to get players down there will be seriously hurt by them when matched up against them in games. Ohio St. isn't stupid enough to ignore Florida players. Neither is the MVFC. There are leftovers in Ohio that most avoid .  Florida players are premium because they play  year  round in good weather. Check and see how many Florida players are on MVFC rosters.  ::)   

Offline IAA Fan

• Administrator
  • Emperor Penguin
  • Bring Coke back to YSU!!
    • View Profile
    • ysupenguins.com
« Reply #147 on: January 29, 2015, 04:33:47 PM »
Again, have to agree, Fever.  Wolf has brought in two more very good linemen. I still chuckle about his players having "low football IQs" according to some here. The fact is, he brought in very solid players over the years. His DC failed him and the players were not used well.

Florida, of course, is where everyone goes for talent. And Florida has a  huge supply. More than Ohio. More than Pa. More than both COMBINED.  And the coach who fails  to get players down there will be seriously hurt by them when matched up against them in games. Ohio St. isn't stupid enough to ignore Florida players. Neither is the MVFC. There are leftovers in Ohio that most avoid .  Florida players are premium because they play  year  round in good weather. Check and see how many Florida players are on MVFC rosters.  ::)

Yes and none more than YSU, so what is your point? I am simply-saying that we can look for talent at home. IN a few years, maybe we will be the first-place some top local talent considers. As you said, everyone goes to FL for talent and we will continue to do the same. I feel at our level and playing a YSU-style of ball, we can get talent from many places ...CA, GA, FL, OH, PA, TX and more. OSU can recruit anywhere, because they are OSU ...enough said about that. Furthermore, OSU's recruiting has absolutely nothing to do with how YSU recruits (transfers being the exception). We simply do not have anywhere near enough local flavor on our team. Pelini knows this and is doing something about it. If they sit on the bench it is worth the investment. He is not just grabbing any local kid; give him credit for doing what has not been done in recent years ...recruiting NE Ohio and W. PA.

People need to stop listening to the media so much: "Heacock cannot recruit", or "Wolf was a recruiting expert". NEITHER is entirely true. People wait for one of their given recruits to work out ...or not... then say "see I told you so". Heck H did not like all the traveling as he recruited most players himself (no money to do otherwise). Wolf's staff was much more skilled in recruiting; yet in his supposed area of expertise, Wolf recruited very poorly on the lines ...too small (dline) and not enough depth (O & D lines).

FYI, Midwest kids are used to playing in Midwest weather. Top FL players are not coming to YSU for the same reason top local talent is not. Top athletes go to top schools ...regardless of climate. They can play at our level at home in nicer climate.

Offline paladin

• Emperor Penguin
  • Paladin
    • View Profile
« Reply #148 on: January 29, 2015, 05:05:24 PM »
Boohoo.... poor local  players who won't be recruited by other colleges try the good old boy network way to lobby the new coach for recruiting more area players ( no matter they aren't worth it). Why try to get better and make the playoffs ?  Lets just become a pipeline for local players so they get a free education ( and avoid competition with "outsiders" for those schollies).  Think that will increase attendance ?  While losing games with subpar local players ?  Good luck with that.  Waste some schollies, cheat the players on the team who EARNED their schollie and treat the fans to losing with local talent no one else wanted.

Sounds like a plan. AD approved ?

ValleyTalk

« Reply #149 on: January 29, 2015, 05:07:55 PM »
@LocalTV4Me: Mays to sign with Youngstown State - Urbana Citizen - http://t.co/3a848ke1ab http://t.co/zHKWYuXxqU via @UrbanaCitizen