Author Topic: Ryan Weber Transferring  (Read 54232 times)

Offline jjysuwin

• King Penguin
    • View Profile
Re: Ryan Weber Transferring
« Reply #75 on: May 04, 2014, 10:47:34 AM »
This whole thread shows how little people know about YSU basketball . All speculation to support a very fews agenda.
"Make no mistake, MSU is not going to be a top half of the Big 10 team. They are lower half. That O of theirs is due to be manhandled." - paladin

"Hunter Wells isn't ready next year for D-I football" - paladin

Hunter Wells Stat Tracker: 17/23 303 yds, 4TDs, 242.0 QB Rating

Offline BigDWSU

• Rock Hopper Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: May 04, 2014, 11:18:34 AM »
This whole thread shows how little people know about YSU basketball . All speculation to support a very fews agenda.

That's funny, I was going to say the same thing about your previous posts about Weber.   As a fan of another team in the HL, I know our coaches spent a significant amount of our game planning on how to stop Weber's shooting last year.   You said he doesn't have the "it factor".  I think if you asked fans from the other 8 HL teams who they would have wanted off your roster on their teams, Weber is one of 2 players that would have been picked by every fan base. 

Offline jjysuwin

• King Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: May 04, 2014, 09:08:43 PM »

That's funny, I was going to say the same thing about your previous posts about Weber.   As a fan of another team in the HL, I know our coaches spent a significant amount of our game planning on how to stop Weber's shooting last year.   You said he doesn't have the "it factor".  I think if you asked fans from the other 8 HL teams who they would have wanted off your roster on their teams, Weber is one of 2 players that would have been picked by every fan base.

And what did he win us last year when he supported the best player in school history?

A guy who transfers to be with his girlfriend isn't very mentally tough.
"Make no mistake, MSU is not going to be a top half of the Big 10 team. They are lower half. That O of theirs is due to be manhandled." - paladin

Offline BigDWSU

• Rock Hopper Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: May 04, 2014, 11:47:24 PM »
And what did he win us last year when he supported the best player in school history?

I think you are getting confused about what type of an impact a sophomore should have on your team.  The guy responsible for your lack of success is the guy that has been getting a paycheck to win games for YSU.  All I can say is that Slocum would have never made it past year 3 of his tenure if he was at WSU.  We expect more from our coaches and we sure in the hell don't blame kids that our coaches recruited for their failures. 

I don't blame Weber at all for going to Ball State.  They care about basketball there.  They used to have a successful program and are trying to get back to that level.  That is why they have a new coach.  They are trying to succeed.  That is a hell of a lot more than you can say.  Slocum has had enough time to prove that he cannot build a winner at YSU.  Instead of getting rid of him and trying to find a coach that can, YSU is just going to let him ride out his contract.   

Offline ysufan0505

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: May 05, 2014, 09:00:14 AM »

I think you are getting confused about what type of an impact a sophomore should have on your team.  The guy responsible for your lack of success is the guy that has been getting a paycheck to win games for YSU.  All I can say is that Slocum would have never made it past year 3 of his tenure if he was at WSU.  We expect more from our coaches and we sure in the hell don't blame kids that our coaches recruited for their failures. 

I don't blame Weber at all for going to Ball State.  They care about basketball there.  They used to have a successful program and are trying to get back to that level.  That is why they have a new coach.  They are trying to succeed.  That is a hell of a lot more than you can say.  Slocum has had enough time to prove that he cannot build a winner at YSU.  Instead of getting rid of him and trying to find a coach that can, YSU is just going to let him ride out his contract.

Wow, great post my friend! You hit the nail right on the head. Some of these people here on this board have blinders on and don't realize how much Slocum is holding this team back!

Offline jjysuwin

• King Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: May 05, 2014, 09:36:11 AM »

All I can say is that Slocum would have never made it past year 3 of his tenure if he was at WSU.  We expect more from our coaches and we sure in the hell don't blame kids that our coaches recruited for their failures. 

WOW, HARDO post of the year from this guy.

Let's use numbers to explain why expectation are a little different. And I'd hope you'd expect more from your basketball coaches.

Your school spends over $2,000,000 annually on men's basketball. http://www.bbstate.com/teams/WRIG

YSU spends around $1.3 million. http://www.bbstate.com/teams/YSU

Billy Donlon was making $225,000 in 2011 to be head coach at WSU. http://www.springfieldnewssun.com/news/sports/college/wsu-like-all-schools-paying-more-for-basketball--1/nMnfr/

Jerry Slocum made $1337,433 in 2013. http://media3.vindy.com/news/documents/2012/10/12/YSU_FY13SalaryReport.pdf
So over the next 10 years you will spend about $7 million more dollars than YSU does on men's basketball. Keep that in mind next time you split your season series against YSU.

YSU would not accept a head coach who losses for three straight years against a program who annually spends 46% more than we do.

Offline Double ET

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: May 05, 2014, 10:38:18 AM »

Clearly, WSU has a much larger basketball budget than YSU. Complaining about Slocum not able to make it at WSU is like me complaining about your coach not being able to make at your cross town school, Dayton, in case you do not think budget matters. If YSU does not commit to increase the basketball budget to hire a better coach and to increase the recruiting dollars, we just have to stuck with Slocum and an average team.
This is a football first town. The big money supporters wanted a strong football program. They do not support basketball as much. BigD, how much does WSU spend on football? By the way, how well did your track team do this weekend? By your argument, your track coach would not last a year at YSU.

Offline jjysuwin

• King Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: May 05, 2014, 12:07:00 PM »
The thing is, WSU can't even sweep YSU. You would think someone who poured that much money into men's basketball would trounce the school where football means everything.

But I guess Wright State is happy with 3rd place. Makes sense.

Offline BigDWSU

• Rock Hopper Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: May 05, 2014, 12:49:53 PM »

WOW, HARDO post of the year from this guy.

Let's use numbers to explain why expectation are a little different. And I'd hope you'd expect more from your basketball coaches.

Your school spends over $2,000,000 annually on men's basketball. http://www.bbstate.com/teams/WRIG

YSU spends around $1.3 million. http://www.bbstate.com/teams/YSU

Billy Donlon was making $225,000 in 2011 to be head coach at WSU. http://www.springfieldnewssun.com/news/sports/college/wsu-like-all-schools-paying-more-for-basketball--1/nMnfr/

Jerry Slocum made $1337,433 in 2013. http://media3.vindy.com/news/documents/2012/10/12/YSU_FY13SalaryReport.pdf

Green Bay's basketball budget was $1,399,814 last year compared to YSU's listed budget of $1,323,788.  They just won the conference.  What is your excuse now?
« Last Edit: May 05, 2014, 01:04:36 PM by BigDWSU »

Offline BigDWSU

• Rock Hopper Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: May 05, 2014, 12:58:02 PM »
Clearly, WSU has a much larger basketball budget than YSU. Complaining about Slocum not able to make it at WSU is like me complaining about your coach not being able to make at your cross town school, Dayton, in case you do not think budget matters. If YSU does not commit to increase the basketball budget to hire a better coach and to increase the recruiting dollars, we just have to stuck with Slocum and an average team.
This is a football first town. The big money supporters wanted a strong football program. They do not support basketball as much. BigD, how much does WSU spend on football? By the way, how well did your track team do this weekend? By your argument, your track coach would not last a year at YSU.

IF Donlon was hired at UD, I think he would do a good job there.  He gets the most out of his athletes and puts winning teams on the court.  Slocum has brought in decent talent to YSU and done a very sh**ty job as a game day coach.

Our track team finished in 3rd place this weekend.  I'll take a top 3 finish in the conference any year.  BTW, has Slocum ever finished in the top 3 of the HL?  JJ is bashing Ryan Weber for transferring.  He isn't the problem with your program.  Your coach is the problem.

Offline jjysuwin

• King Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: May 05, 2014, 01:05:15 PM »

IF Donlon was hired at UD, I think he would do a good job there.  He gets the most out of his athletes and puts winning teams on the court.  Slocum has brought in decent talent to YSU and done a very sh**ty job as a game day coach.

Our track team finished in 3rd place this weekend.  I'll take a top 3 finish in the conference any year.  BTW, has Slocum ever finished in the top 3 of the HL?  JJ is bashing Ryan Weber for transferring.  He isn't the problem with your program.  Your coach is the problem.

Big D wins HARDO of the year.

You proved my point. Weber isn't the problem with the program. He's not the solution either. Now if it had been KP transferring I'd be angry.

Our problem with Men's basketball is defense. YSU doesn't play a lick of D. Put that on the coach. But Ryan Weber is a defensive liability on the court.

Offline BigDWSU

• Rock Hopper Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: May 05, 2014, 01:12:10 PM »
The thing is, WSU can't even sweep YSU. You would think someone who poured that much money into men's basketball would trounce the school where football means everything.

That is a pathetically weak argument.  Just because football is your top sport that means you don't give a sh** about any of your other sports.  Great argument.   

Basketball is our money sport at WSU, but we also care about our other sports.  When coaches aren't being successful, we replace them and try again with another coach.  We aren't nearly as successful with some of our sports as I would like but we are at least trying.  Instead of holding your coach accountable for his lack of success, you attack a kid who has decided to transfer.  Another one of your great arguments.

Offline BigDWSU

• Rock Hopper Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: May 05, 2014, 01:20:38 PM »
Our problem with Men's basketball is defense. YSU doesn't play a lick of D. Put that on the coach. But Ryan Weber is a defensive liability on the court.

Have you seen Wright State play over the last 8 years?  Seriously, have you.  We are clearly on the bottom 1/2 of the league when it comes to athletic ability except for a few players here or there.  We are also typically undersized and as a result often not healthy.  We have had the top ranked defense in the league almost every year since Brownell/Donlon stepped foot on campus.   The reason being is our players are well coached to play good TEAM defense.  We make up for our lack of athletic ability by playing a certain way.  Weber would have had no problem being successful on our team. 

Slocum's problem is either
1.  He doesn't know how to utilize the players he has on his roster or
2.  He failed to recruit kids that fit his system well

Either way, that is all on Slocum, not Weber

Offline jjysuwin

• King Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: May 05, 2014, 01:45:53 PM »
Sorry you lose all credibility with me once you start using the term "we" to describe the Wright State basketball team.

You don't play. You don't coach. Stop!

And you don't do anything. You have no power to hire or fire coaches. Just go to games. Cheer. Give back money when/if you have the means to. And if you really don't like the administration then stop giving money.

But once again, you don't hire or fire coaches. So stop with the whole "we don't tolerate losing B.S." It's not up to you. 

Offline SoupCity

• King Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: May 05, 2014, 03:33:02 PM »
JJ....this is the point where the people on THIS board take issue with you.  The WSU guy has made great points throughout the discussion.  And just because you don't agree, you have to bring the "we" portion of his comment into it.  Grow up, dude.  Most fans of any team refer to the "we" when talking about their team or university, in this instance. 

Just agree that he's made good comments and move on.  You tend to drag S#&^ on and on and on....over ridiculous stuff like, he used the word "we."