Author Topic: Who is head coach in 2014 ?  (Read 50295 times)

Offline robmat2571

• Humboldt Penguin
    • View Profile
Re: Who is head coach in 2014 ?
« Reply #30 on: November 24, 2013, 12:41:59 PM »
Shepas has done well at tiny Waynesburg University.  It is not Mt. Union but, he has never had a losing season and shared the conference title the last few years.  He's a good coach.  This would be a huge leap up however.

Offline ysuindy

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: November 24, 2013, 12:52:11 PM »
Sherpas has been a high school coach and a Division III coach.  No experience at all coaching at a level where recruiting scholarship level players is involved.  May be a great practice and GameDay coach, but no way qualified to be a head coach in a top level FCS league at this time.   Needs DIi head coaching or FBS assistant coach experience to be considered IMO.

Offline ysuindy

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: November 24, 2013, 12:52:48 PM »
Eric Wolford is going to be the coach. Because his contract has 1 more year and YSU is not gonna buy him out. No way. Sorry folks
Not so fast my friend. Some donors are lining up at the door.

IP - do the assistant coaches have buyouts as well?

Offline ItalianPenguin

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: November 24, 2013, 12:53:40 PM »
That's all we need to do is hire a coach from Waynesburg, wherever the he!! that is. As if we aren't already a laughing stock. And someone suggested Carl Pelini? Next year's ticket brochure: Everyone light up!!

Offline ItalianPenguin

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: November 24, 2013, 12:55:08 PM »
Not sure Indy--I think assistants go year to year except in certain circumstances. Montgomery may be an exception.

Offline ysufan0505

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: November 24, 2013, 12:59:29 PM »
Eric Wolford is going to be the coach. Because his contract has 1 more year and YSU is not gonna buy him out. No way. Sorry folks
Not so fast my friend. Some donors are lining up at the door.

Highly doubt it

Offline KilrpengWin

• Humboldt Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: November 24, 2013, 01:12:01 PM »
Sherpas has been a high school coach and a Division III coach.  No experience at all coaching at a level where recruiting scholarship level players is involved.  May be a great practice and GameDay coach, but no way qualified to be a head coach in a top level FCS league at this time.   Needs DIi head coaching or FBS assistant coach experience to be considered IMO.
An FBS assistant? You see where that line of thought has got us......

Offline penguinpower

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: November 24, 2013, 01:17:01 PM »
An FBS assistant? You see where that line of thought has got us......

It is only about finding the right guy

Offline DoubleE

• Royal Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: November 24, 2013, 03:01:39 PM »
Just looked it up and Wolford has the exact same record as Heacock his first 4 years (24-21)

I thought Wolford was hired to do better the Heacock, not the same ?

Offline rayI09

• Royal Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: November 24, 2013, 03:04:37 PM »
he has the same record as heacock had plus he is making a lot more money than heacock and he has a bigger budget to work with than heacock did. progress?

Offline ysufan0505

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: November 24, 2013, 03:20:01 PM »
he has the same record as heacock had plus he is making a lot more money than heacock and he has a bigger budget to work with than heacock did. progress?

After Heacock decimated the program, yes progress.

Offline YSUinBoston

• Royal Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: November 24, 2013, 03:31:22 PM »
Same record, sure----though Heacock flubbed the golden 1st season with Jeff Ryan's senior year.  Plus, whatever remained of Tressel's kids.  Wolford didn't exactly walk in to the same thing.

As for Wolford, I don't need to see a single thing more.  This program is middle of the pack.  If the AD is happy with that, congrats---because that's what you are going to get.  This guy has maxed out his potential.

Offline Wick250

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: November 24, 2013, 03:33:54 PM »
Those of you who have been around for awhile remember the large crowds and the passion in Beeghly Center for the basketball team in the mid-1980s.  Had someone told you then that basketball would be irrelevant three decades later, would you have believed it?  Well, this football program is dangerously close to becoming irrelevant also.  Wolford is the second failed coach after Tressel.  We are nearly a generation removed from good football on a consistent basis.  That is why allowing Wolford to serve out a lame duck year is just stupid.  Sometimes, when you are faced with financial troubles, you just have to limit your losses.  One more year of this garbage will simply alienate more angry fans who are desperately trying to remain loyal. 

I don't know what scares me more.  One more year of Wolford or the thought of Strollo hiring yet another coach.

Offline ysubigred

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: November 24, 2013, 04:27:51 PM »
Just looked it up and Wolford has the exact same record as Heacock his first 4 years (24-21)

Bigger budget, better facilities and higher profile assistant coaches.. Heacock and the same team we be in the playoff's today.

Offline penguinpower

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: November 24, 2013, 06:08:07 PM »

Bigger budget, better facilities and higher profile assistant coaches.. Heacock and the same team we be in the playoff's today.

I agree. Except Heacock hated to recruit.