Author Topic: Who is head coach in 2014 ?  (Read 53096 times)

Offline goodnews

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
Re: Who is head coach in 2014 ?
« Reply #45 on: November 24, 2013, 06:18:34 PM »
Just like Heacocks demise with recruiting and not finding or surrounding himself with a staff that gets the job done... Wolford is doing the same with a higher budget and staff that cant make a difference... In the end its the same either way you look at it.... Just more expensive in 2013 then its was in 2009 with better facilities

Offline ScarletRook

• King Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: November 24, 2013, 07:21:58 PM »
We are nearly a generation removed from good football on a consistent basis.  That is why allowing Wolford to serve out a lame duck year is just stupid.  Sometimes, when you are faced with financial troubles, you just have to limit your losses.  One more year of this garbage will simply alienate more angry fans who are desperately trying to remain loyal. 

Wick - I don't disagree, but the talk all year has been of lack of fan support.  If the powers that be read this forum as suggested, are they really interested in losing or alienating more fans?
Good is the biggest enemy of great.  If we settle for a middle of the pack good year, I fear we will never return to greatness.

Offline NDSUSR

• Humboldt Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: November 25, 2013, 12:54:12 AM »
Lakesbison?  He seems to know everything.

/sarcasm

Offline Penguin Nation

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: November 25, 2013, 08:42:36 AM »
Just looked it up and Wolford has the exact same record as Heacock his first 4 years (24-21)

I thought Wolford was hired to do better the Heacock, not the same ?

Bigger budget, better facilities and higher profile assistant coaches.. Heacock and the same team we be in the playoff's today.

The difference between the Heacock record and the Wolford record is that Heacock's record was progressively worse each of the first four years as he was running out of Tressels's recruits.  His fourth year we were 4-7.  By every measure, he was destroying an FCS legend, when all he had to do was maintain what he was given.

Wolford did not inherit a playoff team, he inherited the remains of the Heacock era.  Wolford improved the record each of the four years he was here.  In Wolford's fourth year, YSU went 8-4.

Heacock's first 4 years:  program in rapid decline
Wolf's first four years:    painfully slow improvement

What if next year Wolf continues this trend and we go 9-3?  Do we fire him then? IMO, anything short of 9-3 means adios....for both Wolf and the AD.  When does the AD become accountable?
"These two cats that we played against from Youngstown State were as good of pass rushers as I've seen"

--WVU Head Coach Dana Holgorsen

Offline penguinpower

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: November 25, 2013, 09:10:45 AM »
I think we are all beating a dead horse.  The bottom line is that we need the athletes on the LOS required to get better and take another step. We don't have them. I don't like our offense. We should rarely ever need to run the QB, maybe in big games. I am for having a prostyle eye formation type of offense. If the the coaches don't want to do that, fine, but we still need a power run offense when it counts even if they want to run this misdirection spread/ read option thing  all of the time.

If we have the athletes, then we don't need to get fancy. The pressure is then taken off the coaches because they need only to worry about technique, player development, and in game decision making. When you don't have the athletes I think it puts more pressure on the staff to game plan against our weaknesses.  When you have the athletes you can do what the last two teams did to us. Nothing fancy, just kick your a$$ and telegraph every play.

If we had those players, then we wouldn't be discussing the strenght of the conference, and we wouldn't care where everyone else places, and the coaches, fans, and players would have the confidence that they could compete with anyone.

Wolford is supposed to be an "Alpha recruiter". We need him to recruit the players on the LOS that gives us this ability. Is he too late?  Can he infuse a bunch of JUCO's this off season?  What do we do about QB?  Next year looks like a rough one. Wolford says he is building a program with depth.

On another note, why would we sign a new coach to a 5 year contract?  I don't understand that. Why not a 3 year with options?  Maybe even a 4 year with options and incentives?  A 5 year does nothing but put YSU in a bad position. A good coach will demostrate change in a few short years, sometimes immediatley. With a 5 year deal you are stuck in two ways, long term and short term. If the coach is not getting it done after 4 years then you are stuck in a lame duck year but if the coach is good then he can leverage you with his senior laden team that performs well.  I don't get that.  Looks like we lack people with real world businees experience to me.
« Last Edit: November 25, 2013, 09:21:08 AM by penguinpower »

Offline ysuindy

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: November 25, 2013, 09:42:39 AM »
No coach worth a damn is going to take any job for anything less than a five year contract.

It takes five years for a coach to have a roster full of players he recruited.  It also puts him at an immediate disadvantage in recruiting - other coaches will jump all over it.

Offline ysubigred

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: November 25, 2013, 09:56:23 AM »
Just looked it up and Wolford has the exact same record as Heacock his first 4 years (24-21)

Bigger budget, better facilities and higher profile assistant coaches.. Heacock and the same team we be in the playoff's today.

The difference between the Heacock record and the Wolford record is that Heacock's record was progressively worse each of the first four years as he was running out of Tressels's recruits.  His fourth year we were 4-7.  By every measure, he was destroying an FCS legend, when all he had to do was maintain what he was given.

Wolford did not inherit a playoff team, he inherited the remains of the Heacock era.  Wolford improved the record each of the four years he was here.  In Wolford's fourth year, YSU went 8-4.

What if next year Wolf continues this trend and we go 9-3?  Do we fire him then? IMO, anything short of 9-3 means adios....for both Wolf and the AD.  When does the AD become accountable?

If I'm not mistaken Heacock and Wolford has the same record at the 4 year mark. Also I believe when Tressel left there was a empty cupboard as well between players leaving and graduating. Another point Wolfords team's schedules are weaker than Heacocks.. just sayin..

Offline rayI09

• Royal Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: November 25, 2013, 09:59:03 AM »
the AD will be held accountable when someone actually gives a damn!

Offline HappyPenguin

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: November 25, 2013, 10:51:22 AM »
The only was Wolf isnt your coach is if Spurrier takes him back. Don't count that out.

Offline ysuindy

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: November 25, 2013, 11:04:05 AM »

If I'm not mistaken Heacock and Wolford has the same record at the 4 year mark. Also I believe when Tressel left there was a empty cupboard as well between players leaving and graduating. Another point Wolfords team's schedules are weaker than Heacocks.. just sayin..

Red - you are delusional with your hatred for Wolford and your love for Heacock. 

The cupboard was far from bare when Heacock took over.  YSU was ranked 8th in the pre-season poll in 2001. 

http://www.bozemandailychronicle.com/article_c0c97cff-7027-5b0b-8543-63965a83ba6d.html?mode=jqm

Jeff Ryan and PJ Mays were back on offense.  Hightower and Green were 3 year starters in the secondary.  Stuvaints and Tekac were back. They had a veteran offensive line.  The 2001 team was loaded.

The playoffs in 2000 were a bit of a surprise, the thought was 2001 would be the year for another deep run. 

As for the schedule, the 2001 non-conference schedule had Lock Haven, Clarion, 2-9 Elon and Marshall.  You're telling me that this year's schedule was weaker than that? 

Heacock was handed a top 10 program with facilities and a budget that were very competitive in I-AA at the time.  Yes the budget was not at the top by the end of the decade, but it was very competitive at the start.  And he didn't get the job done, just like Wolford isn't getting the job done. 

Offline ysubigred

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: November 25, 2013, 12:30:04 PM »

Red - you are delusional with your hatred for Wolford and your love for Heacock. 

The cupboard was far from bare when Heacock took over.  YSU was ranked 8th in the pre-season poll in 2001. 

http://www.bozemandailychronicle.com/article_c0c97cff-7027-5b0b-8543-63965a83ba6d.html?mode=jqm

Jeff Ryan and PJ Mays were back on offense.  Hightower and Green were 3 year starters in the secondary.  Stuvaints and Tekac were back. They had a veteran offensive line.  The 2001 team was loaded.

The playoffs in 2000 were a bit of a surprise, the thought was 2001 would be the year for another deep run. 

As for the schedule, the 2001 non-conference schedule had Lock Haven, Clarion, 2-9 Elon and Marshall.  You're telling me that this year's schedule was weaker than that? 

Heacock was handed a top 10 program with facilities and a budget that were very competitive in I-AA at the time.  Yes the budget was not at the top by the end of the decade, but it was very competitive at the start.  And he didn't get the job done, just like Wolford isn't getting the job done.

Well I guess we can agree that both are not the savior here.

Yes, This years schedule is weaker.. Sparty is above and beyond. other than that  :o

Offline IAA Fan

• Administrator
  • Emperor Penguin
  • Bring Coke back to YSU!!
    • View Profile
    • ysupenguins.com
« Reply #56 on: November 25, 2013, 01:05:34 PM »
Very good point on players Indy, but in my mind, coach H's issue was the staff (more the potential staff) that left with coach T.

Offline robmat2571

• Humboldt Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: November 25, 2013, 01:19:24 PM »
If YSU called Jim Tressel and asked him to be the coach again and simultaneously "train" his successor for the job... what would Tressel say?  (I know that this will never happen)  Having a coach come back to a team a second time in hopes of re-kindling the good old days is not unheard of.  Bill Snyder did it (is doing it) at Kansas State and Johnny Majors tried to do it at Pitt.  Is there any chance that someone from YSU has (or will) put out a feeler to Tressel?  (and NO I haven't been drinking)

Offline Wick250

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: November 25, 2013, 01:30:13 PM »
Robmat,

Tressel can not coach at any NCAA school for several more years as part of the sanctions at Ohio State.  Otherwise, your suggestion should have been implemented yesterday.

Offline ysuindy

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: November 25, 2013, 01:54:56 PM »
IAA Fan - would agree with you on the coaches.  How much of that was lack of funds to get top coaches and how much of it was Heacock filling the staff on the Good Ole Boy network is that is up for debate.

Red - I would disagree on the schedule. I think the current MVFC with the DSUs to go with UNI is much stronger than the 2001 Gateway.  There are no teams in the current MVFC that are as bad as SIU (10th straight losing season) and Indiana State were then.

Wick - Tressel's show cause sanction goes for two more seasons.  I presume the "five year" penalty would go through the end of the 2015-16 school year.