Author Topic: Sports Network September 30 Ranking  (Read 9136 times)

Offline penguinpower

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
Sports Network September 30 Ranking
« on: September 30, 2013, 01:21:14 PM »
Wow, I can't believe we didn't get into the top 25.

Offline paladin

• Emperor Penguin
  • Paladin
    • View Profile
Re: Sports Network September 30 Ranking
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2013, 01:27:05 PM »
That's laughable.

Offline ysufan0505

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2013, 02:02:43 PM »
Joke

ValleyTalk

« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2013, 02:02:54 PM »
We were #26 last week and we are #26 again this week. This poll is an absolute joke. On the other hand, the AGS poll voted on by the fans has us at #14.

I know we aren't a top 15 team yet, but the fact we aren't in the top 25 is an absolute joke.

All is not lost though... The FCS crew at TSN does have us hosting a 1st round game in the playoffs in their weekly projections: http://www.sportsnetwork.com/fcs/FCS_Bracket.pdf
« Last Edit: September 30, 2013, 02:07:38 PM by ValleyTalk »

Offline HappyPenguin

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2013, 02:09:29 PM »
Don't expect to go anywhere if we beat a 1 win Indy State either.

Offline IAA Fan

• Administrator
  • Emperor Penguin
  • Bring Coke back to YSU!!
    • View Profile
    • ysupenguins.com
« Reply #5 on: September 30, 2013, 04:41:46 PM »
#22 in coaches poll ...that is what counts. TSN Poll is worthless. I appreciate their coverage, but kind of ignore their poll. However, let's not get ahead of ourselves. We should have played as we did in the second-half, all game against a mid-pack conference member. we certainly did not do that. I have seen nothing, as of yet, to indicate we are better than a 1-3 record in November. Will be fun finding out though.. GOGUINS!!!
« Last Edit: October 01, 2013, 07:27:32 AM by IAA Fan »

Offline GuinsAndNoles

• Humboldt Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 30, 2013, 07:49:33 PM »
A little early for computers, perhaps -- but Massey has us #16 in his rating and #17 in his power rating.

Offline guinpen

• Global Moderator
  • Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 30, 2013, 08:55:00 PM »
Sure is nice to be having these type of discussions!
“Life is hard, it’s harder if you're stupid” - John Wayne

Offline penguinpower

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 30, 2013, 09:19:07 PM »
Subtle influence goes a long way. That is why I have so much animosity toward TSN. They flat out hate YSU

Offline goodnews

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 05, 2013, 11:17:26 PM »
Looking at game results for Week 6 YSU should realistically be ranked somewhere around 15 but more likely 20... Id prefer they keep them out of the rankings again so they focus on the opponents the next 2 weeks.

Offline penguinpower

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 05, 2013, 11:34:21 PM »
If something doesn't change on defense we will be exposed as pretenders.  The defensive stats in the Box Score are an embarrassment to the tradition, reputation, and perception that YSU has come to be known for.   

Offline goodnews

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 05, 2013, 11:42:21 PM »
YSU can and will be exposed but the amount of points scored outside of the Top 10 teams is crazy..

ValleyTalk

« Reply #12 on: October 05, 2013, 11:49:08 PM »
If something doesn't change on defense we will be exposed as pretenders.  The defensive stats in the Box Score are an embarra$$ment to the tradition, reputation, and perception that YSU has come to be known for.
When we give up less than 30 points under Wolford, we are 20-1. I've said it since Wolford's 1st season, we don't need a great defense, we just need an average defense to compete and succeed in this league. Our offense can and will get us 28-35 points each week, if not more. If our defense can just average giving up around 24 ppg, which it is averaging right now, we will be fine.

We have a stout rush defense, which will force everyone we face to throw against us.

And once again folks, it was 35-10 with 8:00 to go in the 4th quarter. Like just about every team does when up 3-4 scores late, we played softer coverage and it led to two late touchdowns. Can you please CALM DOWN!
« Last Edit: October 05, 2013, 11:51:31 PM by ValleyTalk »

Offline Dmorton

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 06, 2013, 12:32:34 AM »
A soft defense is not going to win you any championships!   The defense needs vast improvement if we're going anywhere not only in this league, but play-offs as well!   Don't think for a minute Ill St. ND St, UNI and SD St. will not look for ways to expose us defensively!

Offline penguinpower

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 06, 2013, 09:32:11 AM »
If something doesn't change on defense we will be exposed as pretenders.  The defensive stats in the Box Score are an embarra$$ment to the tradition, reputation, and perception that YSU has come to be known for.
When we give up less than 30 points under Wolford, we are 20-1. I've said it since Wolford's 1st season, we don't need a great defense, we just need an average defense to compete and succeed in this league. Our offense can and will get us 28-35 points each week, if not more. If our defense can just average giving up around 24 ppg, which it is averaging right now, we will be fine.

We have a stout rush defense, which will force everyone we face to throw against us.

And once again folks, it was 35-10 with 8:00 to go in the 4th quarter. Like just about every team does when up 3-4 scores late, we played softer coverage and it led to two late touchdowns. Can you please CALM DOWN!

The national champion gives up 10 or less points per game. True in 1994 and true in 2012.

I am not happy with making it to the playoffs. I would rather us be a true contender for the NC. Defense wins championships.

As good as Ga Southern was last year, as good as Sam Houston was last year, they were not able to score against a superior defense and it cost them the game. Scoring points means nothing if you can't stop the other team. Also might I add that the defense becomes offense when it scores. All units of the team are important, but defense is the most important unit of the team from my point of view. I have never seen a national champ with an average defense, but I have seen a national champ with an average offense in many occurrences.
« Last Edit: October 06, 2013, 09:51:14 AM by penguinpower »