Author Topic: Pitt in 2015?  (Read 20754 times)

Offline ysuindy

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
Re: Pitt in 2015?
« Reply #15 on: September 19, 2013, 04:01:02 PM »
Seemed high to me as well.  Here are some links to the number.  the first one is the Spokane paper and is probably the best source.  I don't know if the others simply come from that
Thanks for posting these.  It must be legit.  Why won't Akron or Toledo pay us that kind of money?  We would bring a whole lot more fans than EWU or JMU.

Small testicles.  That is why.  The MAC has very ver very small testicles.

Maybe they would.  But why would YSU take $325 from a MAC school when twice that is available from the Big 10?  And I presume YSU makes more than $325k playing a non-scholarship or partial scholarship FCS at home?

Wolford said a plane charter takes $100 k off the top.  If you add up the savings across 6 away games that is about $600 k ( if the the charter is what Wolford says it is). Most of the MAC schools are a bus ride.

OK - so $600k down, $2.9 million to go to get to an average MAC football budget.

Guessing it wasn't a YSU fan that won the $400 million powerball....

Offline IAA Fan

• Administrator
  • Emperor Penguin
  • Bring Coke back to YSU!!
    • View Profile
    • ysupenguins.com
« Reply #16 on: September 19, 2013, 06:00:20 PM »
I am never in favor of a MAC game in Stambaugh that is not reciprocated. Has to be home and home. In fact I would even stipulate that, at last initially, we require the game at Stambaugh to be first. I trust no one.

Offline guinpen

• Global Moderator
  • Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 19, 2013, 08:10:35 PM »
Seemed high to me as well.  Here are some links to the number.  the first one is the Spokane paper and is probably the best source.  I don't know if the others simply come from that
Thanks for posting these.  It must be legit.  Why won't Akron or Toledo pay us that kind of money?  We would bring a whole lot more fans than EWU or JMU.

Funny, very true and funny!
“Life is hard, it’s harder if you're stupid” - John Wayne

Offline ysuguins4

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 20, 2013, 12:37:58 PM »

Maybe they would.  But why would YSU take $325 from a MAC school when twice that is available from the Big 10?  And I presume YSU makes more than $325k playing a non-scholarship or partial scholarship FCS at home?
I was thinking in addition to a BCS game, not in place of it.  I would rather play at Akron for $300,000 than play Morehead State at home.  After paying Morehead State, I doubt we made close to $300,000 on that game.

Offline ysuindy

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 20, 2013, 01:30:13 PM »

I was thinking in addition to a BCS game, not in place of it.  I would rather play at Akron for $300,000 than play Morehead State at home.  After paying Morehead State, I doubt we made close to $300,000 on that game.

Interesting question.  Obviously two FBS games in an 11 game season with four league road games means only 5 total home games.  My guess is with decent attendance YSU does better than that, but you're right, Morehead State isn't going to get that to happen.

Offline IAA Fan

• Administrator
  • Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
    • ysupenguins.com
« Reply #20 on: September 20, 2013, 01:54:37 PM »
We make great money with any home game, over any away game (less those with big payouts). Remember, we have add revenues tied to the number of games and attendance. For example, they can charge more for signage, programs, etc. ..where rates traditionally are tied to the amount of "home" attendance. Local radio and TV used to benefit dramatically, as they could not travel like they do now.

If we would sell 20k tickets to each game, we would not have to worry as much; but an extra home game adds an average of about 3,500 to each of the other home games.

In addition, there are the post-season benefits. Play-off games were traditionally granted on the season total attendance figure. Back then we were going to the postseason most every year. In the 90's, we brought in a light-weight team for the opener. It was cheap, and we knew the game was going to sell-out, as it is the season-opener. We grossed $140k on ticket sales alone, while paying $30k + bus travel + room and board to Slippery Rock. It was a very smart move by AD Tressel at the time.

Offline HappyPenguin

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 20, 2013, 02:00:41 PM »
We make great money with any home game, over any away game (less those with big payouts). Remember, we have add revenues tied to the number of games and attendance. For example, they can charge more for signage, programs, etc. ..where rates traditionally are tied to the amount of "home" attendance. Local radio and TV used to benefit dramatically, as they could not travel like they do now.

If we would sell 20k tickets to each game, we would not have to worry as much; but an extra home game adds an average of about 3,500 to each of the other home games.

In addition, there are the post-season benefits. Play-off games were traditionally granted on the season total attendance figure. Back then we were going to the postseason most every year. In the 90's, we brought in a light-weight team for the opener. It was cheap, and we knew the game was going to sell-out, as it is the season-opener. We grossed $140k on ticket sales alone, while paying $30k + bus travel + room and board to Slippery Rock. It was a very smart move by AD Tressel at the time.

What is this "post-season" you speak of?

Offline Wick250

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 20, 2013, 02:06:00 PM »
For those of you who are willing to give up the sixth home game for two "money" games, consider that we make as much by renting those loges as we do on the gate receipts from traditional seats.  Indy uncovered that fact several years ago.  If you think those fat cats are going to pay the same rate for five home games, you better think again.  Loss of loge rental fees would negate any financial advantage from a second money game, to say nothing of casual fan disinterest because of two guaranteed losses.

Offline penguinpower

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 20, 2013, 02:26:23 PM »

What is this "post-season" you speak of?

Fantastic Post.  LOL

Offline ysufan0505

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 20, 2013, 03:14:50 PM »
When's the last time we actually filled out stadium to capacity? Has been awhile now.....

Offline IAA Fan

• Administrator
  • Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
    • ysupenguins.com
« Reply #25 on: September 20, 2013, 03:48:44 PM »
For those of you who are willing to give up the sixth home game for two "money" games, consider that we make as much by renting those loges as we do on the gate receipts from traditional seats.  Indy uncovered that fact several years ago.  If you think those fat cats are going to pay the same rate for five home games, you better think again.  Loss of loge rental fees would negate any financial advantage from a second money game, to say nothing of casual fan disinterest because of two guaranteed losses.

Right On!

Offline A Penguin-Husky

• King Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: September 20, 2013, 05:46:24 PM »
5 or so years ago I had a conversation with Ron Strollo on the MAC and 2 money games.  Firts thing was that to join the MAC we needed another $7 million and no place to find that kind of money.  Didn't talk about whether they would want us or not.  Second thing.  He had worked with Akron for a second money game but they couldn't agree nor find a financial solution acceptable to both schools.  Ron also felt that 2 money games with potential 2 losses would really hurt any play off chances.  The goal then as now is to get back to the play offs.  As far as only 5 home games that would be a big hurt finacially and the supporters of the lodges would not support a 5 game schedule.  This was 5 years ago, but I think really nothing has changed.

Offline ysuguins4

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: September 24, 2013, 12:56:33 PM »
We make great money with any home game, over any away game (less those with big payouts).

Even the games against the likes of Valpo and Morehead State?  How much is "great money"?

Offline IAA Fan

• Administrator
  • Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
    • ysupenguins.com
« Reply #28 on: September 24, 2013, 03:43:51 PM »
We make great money with any home game, over any away game (less those with big payouts).

Even the games against the likes of Valpo and Morehead State?  How much is "great money"?

You are thinking in terms of attendance and ticket revenues. You need to think season-long. All of us are guilty of forgetting that season tickets make up over half of Stambaugh's capacity. Whether the ticket-holders show up or not ...the ticket is paid for. An add in our program is very expensive and a 6-game add costs more than a 5-game add; 6 home games is an increase in revenue of at least 12%. Same with stadium signage and other items. Plus the increase in loge & loge seating ...which I bet is well into the 6-digit range per game. Now factor in media-related revenues. Tickets are a good revenue source, but so are programs, pepperoni rolls and pop.

I purchase 5-season tickets per year. Last year my daughter had a baby & the tickets were unused for that game. I paid $10 each for those, even though I did not go ...YSU still has my $$$. Now, when I go to a game, I buy: 2-programs, 1 soda-pop, 1 bag of peanuts, and one dog or roll. $6+$2+$1.50+$2.50 = $12 ....more than I paid for the ticket. Now typically I bring my mother, father, daughter & son. (this year a grandson). We share the programs, but the concession expense goes up.

YSU is very good at marketing what has to be a very tough sell
« Last Edit: September 24, 2013, 03:55:03 PM by IAA Fan »

Offline ysuguins4

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: October 01, 2013, 12:40:07 PM »
We only played 5 home games in 2009.  Anyone know how our revenue and income from that year compared to 2008 and 2010 when we played 6 home games?