Author Topic: Pitt in 2015?  (Read 20750 times)

Offline ysuindy

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
Pitt in 2015?
« on: September 11, 2013, 11:33:10 AM »
According to Scalzo's story today, YSU is close to signing a 2015 contract with Pitt, to replace Ohio State (OSU cancelled the contract)

http://www.vindy.com/news/2013/sep/11/big-tension/?mobile

By Joe Scalzo

scalzo@vindy.com

YOUNGSTOWN

When Youngstown State played Michigan State two years ago, defensive tackle D.J. Moss got to be on the field and in the locker room. He even went through warm-ups.

But, thanks to a training camp concussion, he never got in the game.

“It kind of left a sour taste in my mouth because I haven’t got to play out there” at Spartan Stadium, Moss said. “So I’m excited for the opportunity.”

If Big Ten commissioner Jim Delany has his way, it’ll be the Penguins’ last.

This weekend, YSU will travel to East Lansing to play in what could be the second-to-last Big Ten game in school history. Delany is pushing for conference schools to drop FCS teams from their schedules, saying those contests are “like a junior college team playing against a high school team or a high school team playing against a JV team.’’

YSU coach Eric Wolford, who coached at Big Ten-member Illinois from 2007-08, has repeatedly expressed his disappointment over the Big Ten’s decision, but said on Tuesday that Delany’s comments didn’t frustrate him.

“I always say everyone is entitled to their opinion,” Wolford said, choosing his words carefully. “I really don’t even think about it.

“It’s just what he felt like he needed to say.”

YSU is 0-5 against Big Ten schools, including a 28-6 loss to the Spartans in 2011. But the Penguins are 20-25-1 against FBS schools all-time, including a 31-17 win over Pitt last year.

“Getting the win against Pitt last year definitely gave us confidence,” Moss said. “It lets us know we can play with teams of that caliber.

“I’ve been blessed with the opportunity to play in these big games. It’s unfortunate [they’re going to stop] because I would like to see these young guys get more opportunities to play schools that I had an opportunity to play. But you can’t really do much about it.”

Overall, Missouri Valley teams are 2-42 against Big Ten schools, including an 0-4 mark this season. But three of this year’s games were close: Purdue 20, Indiana State 14; Iowa 28, Missouri State 14; and Illinois 42, Southern Illinois 34.

FCS schools already have 10 wins over FBS schools this season, matching last year’s total in just two weeks.

While those wins are valuable — both for playoff purposes and the overall reputation of a program — Wolford said just having those games on the schedule is invaluable.

“It’s opportunities for young people to have experiences they wouldn’t normally get,” Wolford said. “These kids don’t get a chance to play in front of 90,000 or 100,000 people and go against coaches you see on ESPN all the time.

“It’s a great experience for the kids and we recruit to that.”

YSU will play at Illinois next season and had a contract to play at Ohio State in 2015 before the Buckeyes were forced to cancel when the conference added Rutgers and Maryland, expanding the conference schedule to nine games. Instead, the Penguins are close to a deal with Pitt in 2015.

“That’s a great experience for a kid who grew up a Steelers fan his whole life to get a chance to play at Heinz Field,” Wolford said. “If you’re not good enough to go to Pitt, it’s nice to at least be able to say you got a chance to go over there and play.”

Offline IAA Fan

• Administrator
  • Emperor Penguin
  • Bring Coke back to YSU!!
    • View Profile
    • ysupenguins.com
Re: Pitt in 2015?
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2013, 01:59:07 PM »
Wolf could have rephrased that last quote. We ave a number of players that can play for Pitt ...obviously. We have those that have played for that level and higher in their past. I understand where he is going with the comment though.

Offline ysufan0505

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2013, 10:12:48 PM »
Wolf said something interesting today in his press conference. He said they've asked West Virginia, Kansas Stste, even South Carolina to pay us to come play and nobody wants to open up the checkbook and pay.... Gonna be interesting

Offline ysuindy

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2013, 10:18:18 PM »
Kansas State paid NDSU $350k.

Toledo paid Eastern Washington $325k.

Don't know what the other MAC schools pay, but if that's all K State is playing, I can see YSU not being interested.

Offline ItalianPenguin

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 18, 2013, 09:28:10 AM »
Indy's right (as usual)--to go play at Kansas St for that kind of $ isn't worth it as you're probably looking at close to $100,000 for a round-trip charter and expenses to go there. Look for possible talks with Coach Stoops at Oklahoma--I'm sure they would pay much better.

Offline ysuindy

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 18, 2013, 10:44:28 AM »
FAMU played at Oklahoma last year.  I think it was a late add after Missouri and Texas A&M left the Big 12.

Oklahoma paid FAMU $650k (what YSU got at Sparty)

http://bigstory.ap.org/article/florida-am-oklahoma-capsule

the story said the contract provided for $700k if FAMU brought their band.

Looking over the schedules, Oklahoma hasn't played many FCS schools over the years, but there are a few.

Offline ysuguins4

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 18, 2013, 12:21:15 PM »

Can you confirm that from a second source?  That sounds rather high.  They only had 20,000 at the game.  Would they have gotten some sort of TV revenue from the game?

Offline ysuindy

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 18, 2013, 02:26:08 PM »

Can you confirm that from a second source?  That sounds rather high.  They only had 20,000 at the game.  Would they have gotten some sort of TV revenue from the game?

Seemed high to me as well.  Here are some links to the number.  the first one is the Spokane paper and is probably the best source.  I don't know if the others simply come from that

http://union-bulletin.com/news/2013/aug/29/ewu-faces-another-daunting-necessary-schedule/

https://twitter.com/darrenrovell/status/378572028133261312

http://www.statesman.com/feed/sports/college/toledo-vs-eastern-washington-2013-preview/fWBDm/

Offline ysuindy

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 18, 2013, 02:39:55 PM »
I tried to research what Akron paid James Madison a few weeks ago.

The JMU board had posts along the line of "I know but can't tell you who told me" of $300k and $325k-$375k.  Nothing substantiated.

Offline IAA Fan

• Administrator
  • Emperor Penguin
  • Bring Coke back to YSU!!
    • View Profile
    • ysupenguins.com
« Reply #9 on: September 18, 2013, 02:44:06 PM »
Here is the way I look at all of this:

- The purpose of the extra game was to benefit I-AA/FCS. Therefore I think that ever FBS team that does not schedule an FCS opening game should lose that gift of an extra game.

- The game extended the season, so the FCS game should always be the first week.

- The idea that Wisconsin (or any Big-10 program) cannot make a competitive 11-game schedule is just a bunch of "bunk". They do not need 12 games. Heck they did it with 8 game seasons.

Offline Wick250

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 18, 2013, 03:29:11 PM »
Using the figures that Scalzo provided in the April 13, 2013, edition of the Vindicator (which I saved,) the average MAC football budget is $6.9 million.  (compared to $3.4 million for YSU.)  That is why they can pay out such sums for guarantees.  That money comes from very high student athletic fees and certainly not from gate receipts.  Ohio MAC schools have also been known to pay off their athletic debts with academic money.  All in the name, of course, of membership in the "big time," at least in their minds.

Offline ysuguins4

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 19, 2013, 01:23:25 PM »
Seemed high to me as well.  Here are some links to the number.  the first one is the Spokane paper and is probably the best source.  I don't know if the others simply come from that
Thanks for posting these.  It must be legit.  Why won't Akron or Toledo pay us that kind of money?  We would bring a whole lot more fans than EWU or JMU.

Offline penguinpower

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 19, 2013, 01:56:53 PM »
Thanks for posting these.  It must be legit.  Why won't Akron or Toledo pay us that kind of money?  We would bring a whole lot more fans than EWU or JMU.

Small testicles.  That is why.  The MAC has very ver very small testicles.

Offline ysuindy

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 19, 2013, 02:34:27 PM »

Maybe they would.  But why would YSU take $325 from a MAC school when twice that is available from the Big 10?  And I presume YSU makes more than $325k playing a non-scholarship or partial scholarship FCS at home?

Offline penguinpower

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 19, 2013, 02:37:11 PM »

Maybe they would.  But why would YSU take $325 from a MAC school when twice that is available from the Big 10?  And I presume YSU makes more than $325k playing a non-scholarship or partial scholarship FCS at home?

Wolford said a plane charter takes $100 k off the top.  If you add up the savings across 6 away games that is about $600 k ( if the the charter is what Wolford says it is). Most of the MAC schools are a bus ride.
« Last Edit: September 19, 2013, 02:51:59 PM by penguinpower »