Author Topic: Dayton Game  (Read 59225 times)

Offline penguinpower

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
Re: Dayton Game
« Reply #90 on: August 30, 2013, 06:55:59 PM »
I really like this kid. I am a new fan of his. I like what he has to say about the defense about how every man was confident they weren't getting into the engine on the goal line stand

http://m.youtube.com/index?&desktop_uri=%2F#/home

Offline DavedS

• King Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: August 30, 2013, 07:14:24 PM »
I know many schemes have changed and many are scene as old.  However, with a noticeable size, speed and athleticism advantage why not have Hess under center and throw slants across the middle to any of the receivers?  It seems as though the plays are so slow to develop.... Dayton isnt providing any pressure and probably shouldnt.  I know many will use the excuse we dont want to show are SPECIAL PLAYS since its Dayton... Thats the popular excuse but the size of the crowd tells me they need to give the fans a reason to come to the game.......  WHERES THE EXCITEMENT?

Bryan and Wheary aren't exactly burners at the WR spot.
Depends on your definition of burner--doubt that too many men on the field can outrun Wheary.

Wheary was timed at 4.63 in the spring, i dont know anybody who would consider that burner for a WR
4.63 is not "burner" speed in my book either--some of the fastest sprinters in the world can run 40yds.in the low 4.3's with starting blocks yet many high school football players supposedly run 4.3's without starting blocks--bottom line although I take 40 times with a grain of salt I still believe that with equipment on not too many men on the field will outrun Wheary.

Offline Pita

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: August 30, 2013, 07:48:44 PM »
With only one eye of vision remaining at my young age, even I can see "Trouble ahead".
Seems to me, we are to expect thaNumber of results to return per page:    
t and accept that.  Wages and results seem not to be a factor.  Down the road, trust me.....the reason for failure will be  Fans not in the seats, or those who are...ARE! ARE NOT YELLING LOUDLY ENOUGH....give me a reason to make noise, I'll be there.  Wonder IF just ONCE the coaching staff could step up and take their SHARE of the blame?????  DOUBTFUL.

Offline AFGuin

• Royal Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: August 30, 2013, 08:50:42 PM »
I know many schemes have changed and many are scene as old.  However, with a noticeable size, speed and athleticism advantage why not have Hess under center and throw slants across the middle to any of the receivers?  It seems as though the plays are so slow to develop.... Dayton isnt providing any pressure and probably shouldnt.  I know many will use the excuse we dont want to show are SPECIAL PLAYS since its Dayton... Thats the popular excuse but the size of the crowd tells me they need to give the fans a reason to come to the game.......  WHERES THE EXCITEMENT?

Bryan and Wheary aren't exactly burners at the WR spot.
Depends on your definition of burner--doubt that too many men on the field can outrun Wheary.

Wheary was timed at 4.63 in the spring, i dont know anybody who would consider that burner for a WR
4.63 is not "burner" speed in my book either--some of the fastest sprinters in the world can run 40yds.in the low 4.3's with starting blocks yet many high school football players supposedly run 4.3's without starting blocks--bottom line although I take 40 times with a grain of salt I still believe that with equipment on not too many men on the field will outrun Wheary.

Theres a ton of players who will outrun wheary, he's not football fast or track fast.

Offline ScarletRook

• King Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: August 30, 2013, 09:27:30 PM »
Chris Carter wasn't a speedster either but he is in the Hall of Fame.

Offline AFGuin

• Royal Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: August 30, 2013, 09:41:23 PM »

Carter was also 6'4 and had hands of glue along with being an elite route runner, Wheary doesn't have any of those

Offline pioneer9

• Rock Hopper Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: August 30, 2013, 10:15:00 PM »
My question is why don't they take the opportunity to get Hess some straight drop back pass experience in this early going of the season? I hear so many people talk about his lack of confidence and that winning edge, but how does he get that when every pass play is a play action, misdirection or the like.  When we hit MVFC play, there is a lot of merit in having a quarterback who can line up and just straight throw the ball.  And I don't mean pretend to run an off tackle sneak and then toss it out to a WR on the edge. I mean straight take the snap, drop back and throw the ball. I don't hate everything we do on offense trying to keep the defense quessing but at the end of the day there is always the need to just line up and play... To complete a big pass when the defense and everyone in the stands knows it's a pass. To run up the middle when everyone knows that's exactly what you're doing. Skill on skill and nothing more. Until Wofford places more responsibility on Hess to be an intregal part of winning the game... To say we are going to make you throw the ball and win this game for us... He'll never turn the corner as a quarterback and a leader. I don't blame the player... And I definitely think he's got the tools and physical attributes to succeed at the position.

As to the game itself, we can't get sooo caught up in who the Opponent was. The days of "the given win" are over in college football... There's just too many good athletes out there these days and they aren't all in FBS and elite FCS. Pitt learned that last year... Morehead St learned that this week against NAIA Pikeville. Long story short Dayton was a decent team that we made look like a great team. They had a quarterback who did a phenomenal job getting away from pressure and were able to put together some solid drives.

Overall, I think there won't be a lot of indication of where this team is at until we play SIU on Sept. 28th. Morehead State looks like they won't be able to offer enough challenge on either side of the ball (particularly offense) to gauge our ability.  Mich St should be pretty self-explanatory.  And Duquesne will be similar to Morehead State... Prob just not enough depth to give an accurate assessment of our potential.

For now, it's important to just keep coming out and supporting.  Way too early to say where the season will go.  Hopefully, this game can be motivation to keep their eyes on the goal and never take a day off... Have to improve every week...

Offline AFGuin

• Royal Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: August 30, 2013, 10:28:10 PM »
Because thats a requirement in the offense. you cant name me a spread offense that doesn't play their QB like that

Offline pioneer9

• Rock Hopper Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: August 30, 2013, 11:06:48 PM »
AFGuin: don't think they have to change the overall spread philosophy but there are just sometimes where you need to just throw the ball. I don't think they allow that enough.  Arizona utilized Matt Scott last season very creatively in the spread but still allowed for ample opportunities for him to step back and throw. Miss St. did something similar with Tyler Russell (prob a better comparison as Russell has a greater similarity to Hess than Scott). These teams didn't exit the spread offensive philosophy at any point in the game... But there were situations where they said "we need a big pass" and they allowed (and relied on) their QB to simply step back and make a big play.

Offline AFGuin

• Royal Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: August 30, 2013, 11:32:13 PM »
AFGuin: don't think they have to change the overall spread philosophy but there are just sometimes where you need to just throw the ball. I don't think they allow that enough.  Arizona utilized Matt Scott last season very creatively in the spread but still allowed for ample opportunities for him to step back and throw. Miss St. did something similar with Tyler Russell (prob a better comparison as Russell has a greater similarity to Hess than Scott). These teams didn't exit the spread offensive philosophy at any point in the game... But there were situations where they said "we need a big pass" and they allowed (and relied on) their QB to simply step back and make a big play.
[/b]
Sounds like what YSU has done the last 3 years

Offline penguinpower

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #100 on: August 31, 2013, 08:50:09 AM »
Hess has on major flaw that makes him a system QB- he struggles with the downfield pass. He is not particularly accurate downfield. Majoe problem trying to stretch defenses.

Offline peteonastick

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: August 31, 2013, 10:17:52 AM »
It drives me out of my mind that we cannot catch a punt???  If you are not going for the block, especially against a punter who is not very good, then put 2 guys back 10 yards apart and CATCH THE BALL!!!!  We let it roll 25 yards down the field or have to come running up and make a feeble attempt at catching the punt...Terrible!!!! 
THE DRIVE FOR 5

Offline DavedS

• King Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: August 31, 2013, 04:14:03 PM »

Carter was also 6'4 and had hands of glue along with being an elite route runner, Wheary doesn't have any of those
Speed and size not a necessity to be a good receiver according to Steve Largent who was 5'11"--hopefully Hess will rebound and throw the ball to the receivers--not sure how sure-handed they are yet but I saw them open numerous times last game.

Offline ysufan0505

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: August 31, 2013, 07:56:21 PM »
Keep in mind, it's the first game.... Vs Dayton. Everything was vanilla as to the play calling. Don't wanna show too much. I'm only worried about Hess

Offline Wick250

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: August 31, 2013, 10:49:54 PM »
For those who feel that Dayton was a worthy opponent and that we really did not play that poorly, you might want to ponder today's results.  In the Pioneer League pre-season coaches poll, San Diego was picked first, with Butler second, and Dayton fifth.  Today, Cal Poly beat San Diego 38-16 while South Dakota State mauled Butler 55-14.  That is why some of us are worried....very worried.