Author Topic: NCAA Playoffs Week 1: Duquesne at YSU Saturday 11/25 at 5pm  (Read 8619 times)

Offline InTheYo

• Rock Hopper Penguin
    • View Profile
Re: NCAA Playoffs Week 1: Duquesne at YSU Saturday 11/25 at 5pm
« Reply #90 on: November 27, 2023, 08:15:35 PM »
Strollo bid 20k seats. I bet it is about half the selling price, so that would be about $10 x 20k or $200,000 we paid the NCAA to host. Does not matter how many people actually show, we still owe. I doubt we have ever recovered our payout, even in the 90's. Believe me, He bought us into the post-season. I have to respect that.

It honestly felt like more than 3800 were in the stands. I was going to guess closer to 5k.

Anyway don't get too down on the attendance figures Thanksgiving weekend is just a bad weekend for small college football. I've been going to Mount Union playoff games for years, and thanksgiving weekend is Always sparsely attended compared to the rest of their games.

It's a combination of travel plans, students not being on campus etc.

Didn't look like 3800 on the tube..

I thought that 3800 was low! Thought that it was better to report a low number to save some bucks.
As Wick stated, your figure of $200,000 is very inaccurate. Dana Balash had a story on this. The bid was $50,000 for Round 1: https://www.wfmj.com/story/50033466/penguins-paying-dollar50k-to-host-playoff-game

This has been stated multiple times in the past... bids are not opened until AFTER the field has been set. The idea Strollo bought us into the playoffs is also inaccurate. Our body of work is what got us into the field, the bid likely secured us a home playoff game with how the tournament is regional in nature in Round 1.

Lastly, bids are submitted weeks in advance as they seek them out from teams in contention.
« Last Edit: November 27, 2023, 08:19:47 PM by InTheYo »

Offline YSUGO

• Global Moderator
  • Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: November 27, 2023, 09:56:22 PM »
It has been stated in the past if you make a run in the playoffs you lose money. 
A Penguin for life!!!

Offline IAA Fan

• Administrator
  • Emperor Penguin
  • Bring Coke back to YSU!!
    • View Profile
    • ysupenguins.com
« Reply #92 on: November 28, 2023, 08:07:43 AM »
Strollo has always said that YSU will not be outbid. Note that in the 90's, the bid was not as important.  Later on, a high bid became an absolute must. However I think the process has been about the same for quite some time. As far as Duquesne, there is no doubt that they were not going to bid that amount. They probably did not even bid.

Offline Kandrase

• King Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: November 28, 2023, 10:54:17 AM »
It has been stated in the past if you make a run in the playoffs you lose money.

Even  at 3800 attendance we would have made $76k at $20 per ticket, not to mention any commercial boxe, sponsorships, food etc

I’m thinking we could have broken even