Author Topic: NCAA Playoffs Week 1: Duquesne at YSU Saturday 11/25 at 5pm  (Read 8628 times)

Offline Kandrase

• King Penguin
    • View Profile
Re: NCAA Playoffs Week 1: Duquesne at YSU Saturday 11/25 at 5pm
« Reply #75 on: November 26, 2023, 03:48:11 PM »
It honestly felt like more than 3800 were in the stands. I was going to guess closer to 5k.

Anyway don't get too down on the attendance figures Thanksgiving weekend is just a bad weekend for small college football. I've been going to Mount Union playoff games for years, and thanksgiving weekend is Always sparsely attended compared to the rest of their games.

It's a combination of travel plans, students not being on campus etc.

Offline Kandrase

• King Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: November 26, 2023, 03:50:41 PM »
I have to disagree on the helmets.  The Pete helmet is obnoxious.  I absolutely hate it.  I only support the traditional helmet.

I'll second this comment. I think the Pete helmet is fine as a 1 off novelty but the traditional helmet is classy. The Pete head is way too busy from a design perspective

Offline IAA Fan

• Administrator
  • Emperor Penguin
  • Bring Coke back to YSU!!
    • View Profile
    • ysupenguins.com
« Reply #77 on: November 27, 2023, 07:05:54 AM »
Great game.  Wonderful product on the field. Alot of talent on this team.  Davidson, Oliver, King all played a strong game.  D played well overall also.  Go Guins

Just not well-coached.

Offline YsuPride

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: November 27, 2023, 08:51:05 AM »
I was wondering that too about the band.  We should leave the band there next year.   Any thoughts?

Offline ysubigred

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: November 27, 2023, 10:50:12 AM »
It honestly felt like more than 3800 were in the stands. I was going to guess closer to 5k.

Anyway don't get too down on the attendance figures Thanksgiving weekend is just a bad weekend for small college football. I've been going to Mount Union playoff games for years, and thanksgiving weekend is Always sparsely attended compared to the rest of their games.

Didn't look like 3800 on the tube..

Offline ysubigred

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: November 27, 2023, 10:51:29 AM »
Seems YSU has more W's with the Pete helmet than the "Y" let it rock!!

Online guinpen

• Global Moderator
  • Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: November 27, 2023, 12:34:50 PM »

I thought that 3800 was low! Thought that it was better to report a low number to save some bucks.
“Life is hard, it’s harder if you're stupid” - John Wayne

Offline IAA Fan

• Administrator
  • Emperor Penguin
  • Bring Coke back to YSU!!
    • View Profile
    • ysupenguins.com
« Reply #82 on: November 27, 2023, 01:20:30 PM »
Strollo bid 20k seats. I bet it is about half the selling price, so that would be about $10 x 20k or $200,000 we paid the NCAA to host. Does not matter how many people actually show, we still owe. I doubt we have ever recovered our payout, even in the 90's. Believe me, He bought us into the post-season. I have to respect that.

I thought that 3800 was low! Thought that it was better to report a low number to save some bucks.

Online guinpen

• Global Moderator
  • Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: November 27, 2023, 02:37:48 PM »
Strollo bid 20k seats. I bet it is about half the selling price, so that would be about $10 x 20k or $200,000 we paid the NCAA to host. Does not matter how many people actually show, we still owe. I doubt we have ever recovered our payout, even in the 90's. Believe me, He bought us into the post-season. I have to respect that.

Since we have won like 17 straight home play-off games, I would say money well spent. Kudos to the AD.

Online guinpen

• Global Moderator
  • Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: November 27, 2023, 02:44:33 PM »
I was wondering that too about the band.  We should leave the band there next year.   Any thoughts?

No can do, need them, student section and the ROTC folks back on the East Side.

Offline DLHotch

• Rock Hopper Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: November 27, 2023, 02:51:45 PM »

Since we have won like 17 straight home play-off games, I would say money well spent. Kudos to the AD.

The Provost and Dean of Graduate Studies during Tressel's tenure as Executive Director of Intercollegiate Athletics was his administrative boss. When it came to the financial reporting of the athletic department the football program under Tressel was fiscally self-sustaining, which she told me was much to her surprise at the time.

Go Guins!

Offline Wick250

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: November 27, 2023, 05:50:46 PM »
Perhaps the bidding in the 90s was the Wild West, but the NCAA now posts the bid that a school must offer to host a FCS playoff game in each round. For the opening round, the bid was just 40K. We covered that easily.

Offline Kandrase

• King Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: November 27, 2023, 06:49:58 PM »

Errr. Why would he bid 20k seats? Rooney Field (Duquesne's home field) only seats 2200. Couldn't he have just  bid above whatever their max capacity was? Where else would the NCAA hold a game other than our place or at Duquesne?

Offline penguinpower

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: November 27, 2023, 07:00:50 PM »

Errr. Why would he bid 20k seats? Rooney Field (Duquesne's home field) only seats 2200. Couldn't he have just  bid above whatever their max capacity was? Where else would the NCAA hold a game other than our place or at Duquesne?

What if.....and it's just a what if......the higher bid helps you get in in future years if on the bubble?

Online guinpen

• Global Moderator
  • Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: November 27, 2023, 07:20:13 PM »

Logic tells me that there is more to the story, if it was as simple as outbidding 2200 seats my grandkids could have figured it out.