YSU Penguin Athletics > YSU Penguin Athletics

Garrett Coviington is in the transfer portal

<< < (5/12) > >>

mudclods:

--- Quote from: ucfpengbuck on March 31, 2022, 08:00:07 PM ---
--- Quote from: ytownchief22 on March 31, 2022, 06:23:47 PM ---Owen Long also transferring out.

--- End quote ---

Surprised Owen is leaving since he did get playing time especially as the season progressed.  Not sure he was going to be more than a 8 to 12 minute type off the bench.  He had a couple of games where he really heiped and he had some where he never produced.   Kind of seeing him at a D2.

--- End quote ---

Guessing he figures his role will be similar next year and being a senior wants more PT.  He averaged 19.3 ppg in his sophomore year at Maryville College, which was D2. 

ucfpengbuck:
I can only imagine that coach Calhoun has an end of the year sit down with each player and discusses their role and future going into next season as would any other program.  Maybe each player has his mind  made up before this process ?   Do players see the writing on the wall pertaining to next seasons playing time with the the red-shirts and transfers & frosh coming in ?     
Or could it  be simple as a player not happy in this enviroment and seeing greener pastures beyond?

In Luke and Owens situation I got to go with the idea that playing time next season won't be at a premium and jumping ship is the best alternative.

In Garrett case I think he wants a shot at major D1 like Naz experienced.  After 5 years at Youngstown I'm sure it would be exciting for a young man to experience a new campus.

Have a gut feeling that a couple more might be leaving. Don't want to mention names since we're talking about college players but i'd be surprised if this was the end.

Double ET:
I suspect that both are looking for more playing time else where.

As for Luke, many have pointed out that his plays had dropped off in the second half of the season. IMO, the league might have figured out how to play him in the second half of the season and he, being a freshman, simply did not have the ability and experience to overcome it. It is also possible being mental. How else could a player go from a 80+% FT shooter down to 50% FT shooter. That had nothing to do with other teams or his size.

I wish both Luke and Owen best wishes in pursuing their future dreams.

IronGuin14:
Best wishes to these two young men - thanks for your contributions to the team and the community! While I always root for our guys - never really thought they were D1 material.

ucfpengbuck:
Just saw that Cleveland state's D'moi Hodge and Tre Gomillion are in the portal.  That was their two best returning players.  With their coach leaving that would be no shock.  I think Hodge can play at a higher level.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version