YSU Penguin Athletics > YSU Penguin Athletics

YSU Oakland MBB Horizon Tourney

<< < (3/5) > >>

ytownchief22:
Just not good enough in the end. Calhoun talks a big game but it is now time for results. The pressure is on for next year, especially if any of the seniors come back.

mudclods:
I agree with Double ET on DQ.  Besides seeming like he's lost a step and his outside game hasn't been the same, you just haven't had that confidence when the ball is in his hand like last year. 

That whole last possession sequence was just odd with DQ.  Even when YSU got the rebound, DQ looked confused with the ball in the backcourt and took nearly 8 seconds to get it across the timeline when they called timeout with 18 seconds. 

Coach mentioned in the post game press conference that they drew up the "horn" play.  There were supposed to be screens set and DQ was to drive to the hoop and shoot with 2 seconds and if he missed was hoping for the put back.  When I went back and rewatched it, even worse was the fact DQ launched that shot with about 6 seconds on the clock.  Also, Naz was open at the 3-point line, and as time expired he looked over to the bench in confusement/disgust.   If DQ could have gotten him the ball, he probably would have had 3 or 4 seconds to get into the lane.   

YSU1:
the last possession of regulation was disturbing.  I would rather have them shoot too soon than jack one up from half court.  drive to the basket for the possibility of a foul and a follow up tip in.  after that possession you knew they were not going to win.
Oakland has a losing record but they played Xavier,Toledo,Bradley,Michigan,Purdue, Oklahoma State, Michigan State. Who did YSU play.  no one.  They have to improve recruiting and play better competition.

Penguin Nick:
I'm just so disappointed with this team.  All the major players except Q really upped their game this year.  Q was not the same.  Perhaps we were missing some of last year's leadership but on paper this team was supposed to be special.  I hope Q rehabs and comes back strong and hopefully some of the other seniors will use that extra year of eligibility.  I'm just so tired of waiting for YSU to reach the Big Dance.     

mudclods:

--- Quote from: YSU1 on March 03, 2021, 09:03:43 AM ---the last possession of regulation was disturbing.  I would rather have them shoot too soon than jack one up from half court.  drive to the basket for the possibility of a foul and a follow up tip in.  after that possession you knew they were not going to win.
Oakland has a losing record but they played Xavier,Toledo,Bradley,Michigan,Purdue, Oklahoma State, Michigan State. Who did YSU play.  no one.  They have to improve recruiting and play better competition.

--- End quote ---

I agree with your first paragraph.  You just felt like YSU had to win it there, and not even giving yourself a chance was brutal.  That's going to sting for awhile. 

In YSU's defense this year on scheduling, they really didn't have any choice.  The quarantine timing killed their non-conference schedule.  They were lucky to even get the D1 game against Binghamton and even have the ability to play the NAIA schools.  Oakland had the ability to play earlier and a lot of those schools were in search of someone to play.  Coach Calhoun had been doing well at improving their non-conference schedule, but had it played out this year along with DQ's injury really seemed to set YSU back.   

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version