YSU Penguin Athletics > YSU Penguin Athletics

YSU Oakland MBB Horizon Tourney

<< < (4/5) > >>

Penquin68:
The last play in regulation had to be the worst I have seen in a long time.  Too long killing the clock and then not getting any kind of a shot.  Unbelievable. Also letting Michael A guarding Moore the last few possessions and getting beat time after time. Not sure why Mays was out of the lineup at the end, but he had trouble guarding taller players. We in general had a difficult time on defense.  It seemed Oakland was bigger and could get in close over and over and we had to really work to get inside.  And the charge vs blocking calls sure went against us on both ends of the court. The announcers were sure not trying to be unbiased for Oakland.  I think Rob Schmidt does a good job not being a homer compared to those guys. And our new players sure didn't contribute much except for Mays. Who knows what we will look like next year, but the new players need to grow significantly for us to improve even if Naz, Garret, and DQ return. Big questions.

ytownchief22:
Losing Jamir really hurt more than anybody expected. Hopefully he can come back next year and be a presence inside.

Recruiting hasn't been the issue.

If DQ, Naz, GC, Mike and Jamir come back with the freshman getting better and the class coming in, there is no excuse to be top 3 in the league and expecting a conference championship.

Double ET:

--- Quote from: ytownchief22 on March 03, 2021, 05:19:49 PM ---Losing Jamir really hurt more than anybody expected. Hopefully he can come back next year and be a presence inside.

Recruiting hasn't been the issue.

If DQ, Naz, GC, Mike and Jamir come back with the freshman getting better and the cla$$ coming in, there is no excuse to be top 3 in the league and expecting a conference championship.

--- End quote ---

I am not sure about that. Seniors from other teams might also return to their respective school for another year.

mudclods:
Certainly going to be an interesting dynamic.  Purely speculation, but I feel like Naz could be the guy to hold the group together.  I figured this was going to be DQ's last year at YSU, but between his injury, the way his year went, the seniors getting an extra year could see him coming back although maybe if none of the seniors return he won't?  Kelley and Thomas are wild cards.  Can't imagine Bentley returning.  I really thought he would have gotten more PT this year especially when DQ was out.   

If a lot of those guys do return, what happens to the freshman class?  Obviously would mean less PT for those guys and sets their development back.  Do some of them then transfer without having to sit out? 

If none of the seniors & DQ return, and everyone else mostly does you could be looking at Hunter, Mayes, Ogoro, Vargo & possibily Traore starting with maybe Hamperian & Dunn off the bench & whoever else that YSU recruits or transfers.

YSUFANSINCE1990:
  I like Calhoun, but something went wrong.  When DQ left the bubble and went home that was not good.  He certainly never returned to the player he was last year or the expectations we had hoped for.  I know this is a crazy year with COVID, but....

Wright State may have been second seed, but they were the best team in the conference, so we had a shot when they lost to win this tournament!  Actually Cleveland State very fortunate to still be alive.

We took a step back this year.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version