YSU Penguin Athletics > YSU Penguin Athletics

Doug Phillips

<< < (14/17) > >>

IAA Fan:
I am just saying that I expected that we would go with less experience (and cost) at Head Coach and make up for it with a couple of solid coordinators (like when we had Carl and Shane). However, judging from the selections, everyone is Youngstown. NE Ohio has diminishing returns on HS ball. The best HS ball has been in SW Ohio for years now. Central Ohio is the only place where football is growing at the HS level.

NDSU and SDSU recruit mostly untapped resources and this is a major part of their success. NE Ohio is not untapped. In fact it used to be perhaps the most popular area in the mid-west for recruiting. The xDSU's are pulling the top athletes from their area ...we are not and never going to. We have to recruit more nationally, or at least in these other parts of Ohio. Coach Shane could recruit nationally, but he brought us the bottom 2/3 of the state. Coach Carl clearly had a national footprint and his name will bring local kids.

go guins:
All this talk about "national footprint"  Southern Ohio being the only place football is growing etc. is LOL funny.  I think St. Eds, Hoban, ST. Ignatius would beg to differ, and the 2019 champions were from all over the state.  The champions in 2018 were St. Edward (Division I), Archbishop Hoban (Division II), Kenston (Division III), Wyoming (Division IV), Orrville (Division V), Kirtland (Division VI) and McComb (Division VII) would also fly in the face of the Southern premise.  What you DO notice when looking at state champions is they repeat and repeat, which says the most important thing is NOT where they are from, but who is the coach.  THAT is what's important. Top talent goes Power 5, second line talent goes mid-majors and we get what's left.  Once in a while one slips through like Rivers, Reed, or maybe Crenshaw, but by in large we get third tier talent and so it comes to coaching.  Let's hope Phillips is the guy. 

IAA Fan:
Go, it became clear when I saw his salary, that we were not going to go after an experienced group of coordinators and this is upsetting to me. This is what a mean by a national footprint. It is not as if YSU is a dominating team anymore and recognized by many players nationwide.

Also, this does not mean that I will not get behind our new staff, I am already there. It seems as though coach P is doing some homework and look how many mistakes coach Wolf made going after a nationally known experienced candidate at DC. Yet his regional hire at OC, turned out to be a sensational choice. It is becoming equally clear that JT is more involved at this point, he is a recognized commodity.

go guins:

--- Quote from: IAA Fan on February 13, 2020, 07:42:48 AM ---Go, it became clear when I saw his salary, that we were not going to go after an experienced group of coordinators and this is upsetting to me. This is what a mean by a national footprint. It is not as if YSU is a dominating team anymore and recognized by many players nationwide.

Also, this does not mean that I will not get behind our new staff, I am already there. It seems as though coach P is doing some homework and look how many mistakes coach Wolf made going after a nationally known experienced candidate at DC. Yet his regional hire at OC, turned out to be a sensational choice. It is becoming equally clear that JT is more involved at this point, he is a recognized commodity.

--- End quote ---
We had no name coordinators paid peanuts in the 90's.  If the HC is "the guy", they he will develop coordinators or find coordinators that can coach, but don't yet have "big names".   Football, more than any other sport is all about the HC.  Let's all hope Phillips is "the guy!"

ysubigred:

--- Quote from: IAA Fan on February 13, 2020, 07:42:48 AM ---Go, it became clear when I saw his salary, that we were not going to go after an experienced group of coordinators and this is upsetting to me. This is what a mean by a national footprint. It is not as if YSU is a dominating team anymore and recognized by many players nationwide.

--- End quote ---

You're killing me Smalls! How do you figure that Wolfords OC was any better than the DC? I know you love Monty but face it he had a huge problem in the MVFC as all the coaches and assistance had since YSU entering the MVFC. Monty's O put up incredible numbers during the weenie schedule but when it came time for when it counted (MVFC schedule) the statistics fell drastically. JT was the only coach YSU had that did well in the MVFC which yielded ~ 97 NC, 99 Runner up NC, 2000 1st round loss to Richmond. Since JT Heacock's 06 run and out right MVFC championship ring was his glory. Wolford's 5 years zero zip nada! Bo 2016 run with Wolf's kids and a bit of JT magic was his glory.

Thanks for your attention!

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version