YSU Penguin Athletics > YSU Penguin Athletics

Camp Thread

<< < (4/13) > >>

Double ET:
As reported on the YSU website:

The Youngstown State football team held a 100-play scrimmage on Saturday morning at Stambaugh Stadium. The Penguins offense scored a pair of touchdowns and made four field goals during the workout.

Senior quarterback Nathan Mays guided the offense to two touchdowns and a field goal in his three drives. Mays drove the offense to the 25-yard line on the first series of the scrimmage before the Penguins had to settle for a field goal. Colten McFadden came on to attempt a 42-yarder, but pushed it wide right.

On the second series, Mays took the offense on a 10-play, 75-yard match for the first touchdown of the scrimmage. On a 2nd-and-11 play, Mays found tight end Kyle Gregg on a 38-yard toss that put the offense at the eight-yard line. On third-and-goal from three, London Pearson scored on a run up the middle.

Sophomore QB Joe Craycraft came on to lead the offense on the next two series. The first drive stalled after eight plays and 40 yards. On the second drive, the Guins moved to the 13-yard line as McFadden came on to kick a 30-yard field goal.

Mays's third drive of the game produced the offensive unit's second touchdown. He moved the offense 75 yards in 11 plays and capped off the drive by hitting Braxton Chapman on a 26-yard wheel route for a touchdown.

Freshman QB Mark Waid and Craycraft led the offense to field goals on the next three drives. Waid hit Pearson on a 19-yard pass and Chapman had a 33-yard run. McFadden concluded the drive with a 31-yard field goal. Craycraft teamed up with Jake Cummings on passes of 13 and 36 yards on the next series. The drive stalled at the nine-yard line and McFadden came on to kick a 25-yard field goal.

Waid drove the offense into field goal range once again on the next drive. McFadden came on to boot a 40-yard kick for his fourth made field goal in five tries during the scrimmage.

For the scrimmage, Turner carried the ball 12 times for 32 yards while Chapman had six carries for 65 yards. Pearson finished with 12 carries for 28 yards while Mays had 40 yards on six carries. Mays completed 10-of-11 passes for 126 yards and a touchdown while Craycraft was 6-of-12 for 103 yards and Waid was 4-of-8 for 43 yards.

The Penguins open the 2019 season three weeks from today on August 24 against Samford

ytownchief22:
Chapman looked good. QB's looked shaky throwing, especially deep.

IAA Fan:
I saw some of it. Did not seem like 100-plays though. Maybe I left too early. A few surprises this early.

Mays was sharp after the first couple of throws. He did not throws INT's, but his passes could have been more crisp at first, but from his third pass on was nice.

Craycraft much improved this year. Although I am disappointed that neither Craycraft or Waid could get it in the end-zone.

We had 2 TE's on a few plays, it was nice to see. Chief your choice of TE's spot on.

Oline standing up and pulling, but this is not real opposition so I cannot say.

McFadden missed a 40-yard FG, but hit another 40-yard with some power.

I was talking with a couple of guys and Reed graduates prior to the end of the season, so that is why he was given 2 more years, as opposed to one.

I thought we lost Pearson, but he was in. SO there are 4 TB's. He caught an over-the-should toss from Waid.

penguinpower:
Can I opine?

So after watching football for 40+ years here is what I have to say (and I haven't seen a single play this year) with Bo or Carl focusing on the defense we should be OK.  If Bo runs our QB we are screwed as usual.  We wreck the QB's running the ball.  The stats on the scrimmage seem to indicate that the defense will be pretty good assuming the offense has offered a decent challenge.  With the changes at OL and the Carl OC influence I would expect that the offense makes the defense look better than what it really is. 

Having Carl back is a good thing.  Bo and Carl make a "mega-person" and the team is better because of it.  I hope we can contend with the best.

go guins:

--- Quote from: penguinpower on August 06, 2019, 12:19:01 AM ---Can I opine?

Having Carl back is a good thing.  Bo and Carl make a "mega-person" and the team is better because of it.  I hope we can contend with the best.

--- End quote ---
I agree with Carl being back being a good thing.  Almost like an alter ego for Bo, or at least a confidant and someone he has 100& trust in.  Plus it is no secret Carl can really coach.  Good grief, I could be a confidant, but wouldn't help the coaching much. (any!)  I would love to "contend with the best" but with what appears to be a huge void at QB, I just don't see it happening.  The transfers at safety and center are HUGE and the return of Reed could be HUGE (depending on how healthy he really is) so we are much better that we looked following the end of last season, but the three biggest question marks remain QB, QB and QB!

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version