YSU Penguin Athletics > YSU Penguin Athletics

Camp Thread

<< < (5/13) > >>

IAA Fan:
Believe me ...QB is not our biggest question & the reason has little to do with the QB. I mean Carl is working with the offense? QB depth can definitely haunt us though. Line depth is non-existent. We did not recruit well for TE's either; this shows by our use of TB's in the scrimmage. We are woefully short on D Tackles. Will we be able to stop the run? I hope our abundance of OLinemen will help fill the gap. We had poor classes in snappers as well. Long and short. No depth at all. We have a a few untested TB's ...but I am less concerned here with couple of injury returns. Are Richmond and Jackson going to fill the experience gap at DE?

ytownchief22:
That is ridiculous. QB is the biggest question mark BY FAR on this team.

Double ET:
Vindy article today on the defensive Secondary

The YSU secondary picked off just three opposing passes season ago.

D.J. Smalls returned his lone interception for a 65-yard touchdown against South Dakota in Week No. 7 and is the only defensive returnee who recorded a pick, which doesn’t seem to bother new secondary coach D.J. Gomes because of the healthy competition created just two weeks into fall practice.

“I see a lot of improvement from the spring, so I am happy about that,” said Gomes after Tuesday’s practice at Stambaugh Stadium. “We gained guys like Zaire Jones, who’s been an excellent leader on top of the leaders we already have in Kyle Hegedus and D.J. Smalls.”

Last season as an assistant at Bowling Green State, Gomes’ defensive backs combined to break up 20 passes. He’s pleased with the competition currently taking place in camp.

“We have competition at safety with Hegedus, Jones, Jaelin Madison and a couple others while at the corners, there’s Bryce Gibson, Melvin Jackson and Devanere Crenshaw,” he said. “We’re in a pass-type world now with how many receivers a team plays so we’ll have to rotate defensive backs. Hopefully, we’ll play all those guys.”

Gibson is a true junior who has started all 22 games since stepping foot on the YSU campus in time for the 2017 campaign.

He finished third on the team a year ago with 42 total tackles (31 solos, 11 assists) including two tackles for loss, a forced fumble and 12 pass break-ups.

He appreciates the depth in this year’s defensive secondary.

“We’ve installed over 10 defenses and today had a little red zone period, which was very physical,” Gibson said. “We’re ahead of schedule and working hard every day to make sure that everything comes together. We have much more depth this year, which would give us a lot of rotation options.”

Head coach Bo Pelini, now in his fifth season at the helm, likes where his defense is headed.

“I like our defense. We’re throwing a lot at them and they’re getting better,” Pelini said. “They’re learning, understanding and the competition has been really good. I think we have some depth we didn’t have a year ago and really haven’t had the past two years, so I feel good about that area.”

YSU’s offense squares off against one of the nation’s best defenses each day in practice, which only creates a healthy competition according to Pelini.

go guins:

--- Quote from: ytownchief22 on August 07, 2019, 12:12:52 AM ---That is ridiculous. QB is the biggest question mark BY FAR on this team.

--- End quote ---
AGREED.  Sometimes I wonder if 1AA is watching the same sport.  He's concerned about depth at long snapper instead of QB?!?!?!  All college teams have tons of holes.  It's the nature of the beast with graduations etc.  Clemson lost THREE first round draft choices from their D-LINE!  Where are they ranked?  #1  Why?  They have a QB!  Today's football is very simple, you spread the field, you throw the ball, you hope you get a fumble or INT and win 35-28  The days of worrying about depth at DT and long snapper, and winning 12-9 is long gone. 

YSU1:
the 90's are over

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version