Author Topic: Pitt Game  (Read 80624 times)

Offline YSUGO

• Global Moderator
  • Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
Re: Pitt Game
« Reply #75 on: August 29, 2017, 03:25:33 PM »
Turner is a beast I heard.  Not surprised.  I heard Turner might be the starter sooner than later.  We have no shot to win here.  Going against a good coach with a chip on his shoulder against us.  I think they will look at the WVU tape and expose our early season weakness in the secondary.  Let's get out with no injuries.  I heard we were not pleased with our OT play so far during the training camp. Work the short passing game with the backs an te's to protect Wells.  We say how bad Ricky got dinged at WVU don't be stupid Montgomery with your play calls.
« Last Edit: August 29, 2017, 04:15:36 PM by YSUGO »
A Penguin for life!!!

Offline go guins

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: August 29, 2017, 03:35:43 PM »
USA Today doesn't have Pitt rain unit 1 AM Sunday.  Looks to me like pretty nice day Saturday (for Pittsburgh at least)
Watching Penquins Football & Basketball since 1967!

Offline ytownchief22

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: August 29, 2017, 04:00:44 PM »
DE is not the problem. It's going to be covering people in the back end. Pitt may pass for 400 on us.

Offline ytownchief22

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: August 29, 2017, 04:08:23 PM »
Turner is going to be a big weapon. Return game, and he's been getting plenty of reps with the 1's in practice. Spencer and Fraser leave something to be desired at the tackle position right now. Sharp had the guard job going into camp but was overtaken by the West Branch product Zinni.

Offline FOOTBALLFEVER

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: August 29, 2017, 06:45:07 PM »
USA Today doesn't have Pitt rain unit 1 AM Sunday.  Looks to me like pretty nice day Saturday (for Pittsburgh at least)
Your right Go Guins each team must play in the weather at the end of the day. These storms are hard to track, checked accu weather 2 days ago and it was showing 80° and sunshine zero rain with light winds. Today there was a 71% chance of rain from 12-5 with torrential downpours and gusty winds. I just see a few things we can take advantage of in the passing game with the Pitt suspension's and injuries if the weather is good. If the passing game is none existent do to weather look for Mays to be inserted more to run the read option types of plays. Hearing that the staff is not very happy with the right side of the O-Line and corner play. The defensive ends from what I've heard look solid for conference play. If the outcome of the game is not favorable for us so be it. This is still a money game that we are not expected to win, if we were the Bison and what they accomplished in the past it would be a different story. Just need to take a deep breath and not focus on the negatives at any one position. We will be be solid as a whole in conference play. Narduzzi and Bo have had the time they need to get their players in place so let the chips fall where they may. Neither team looks the same as it did 2 years ago..Still wouldn't put it past the Guins to win by a field goal if everything goes as planned ☺
« Last Edit: August 29, 2017, 06:55:30 PM by FOOTBALLFEVER »

Offline The YO Show

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: August 29, 2017, 08:33:09 PM »
Hopefully the Oline can develop, but it is definitely disconcerting to hear the corners are playing suspect. We are going to need good DBs for conference play with the QBs in the MVFC this year.

Offline penguinpower

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: August 30, 2017, 12:08:50 AM »
The offensive tackle position may be the issue on this team.  Large holes to fill.  Keep this in mind

Offline ytownchief22

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: August 30, 2017, 09:39:11 AM »
The O-Line has been getting consistently beaten in practice from what I hear, and we all know Mr. Wells is not fleet of foot so this is gonna be interesting Saturday. Gonna have to run the ball effectively.

Offline HappyPenguin

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: August 30, 2017, 09:57:50 AM »
Well if it does rain, it won't be well over 100 degrees on the field this time. That hurt last time us more than rain will hurt us this time.

Quality depth is where the FBS and FCS teams differ the most in my opinion.

Offline go guins

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: August 30, 2017, 10:39:25 AM »
Well if it does rain, it won't be well over 100 degrees on the field this time. That hurt last time us more than rain will hurt us this time.

Quality depth is where the FBS and FCS teams differ the most in my opinion.
The last COUPLE of times in Pitt that sun was brutal! 
Depth is an issue for sure, but as a general rule FCS players are still a little small, or a little slow, position by position vs FBS players.  The reason we remember getting 2 players drafted is because it rarely happens.  OSU has a dozen annually.  There is still a BIG difference.

Offline The YO Show

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: August 30, 2017, 01:23:31 PM »
You know, I distinctly remember it raining during the night game that YSU won at Pitt back in 2012. Just saying.

Offline go guins

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: August 30, 2017, 01:28:12 PM »
You know, I distinctly remember it raining during the night game that YSU won at Pitt back in 2012. Just saying.
Last couple DAY games were hotter than "heck" 

Offline ytownchief22

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: August 30, 2017, 04:37:08 PM »
Bigger problem is the depth behind the starters is so inexperienced. May not be the season some predict. At least early on.

Offline go guins

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: August 30, 2017, 05:00:46 PM »
Bigger problem is the depth behind the starters is so inexperienced. May not be the season some predict. At least early on.
Any reasonable person would expect to lose to Pitt.  Remember, this team beat the Big 10 champion and was the only team to beat Clemson, (the same Clemson that hung 30-0 on Ohio State)  Following that, we should win the next 2 easily, inexperienced or no.  By then, you have experience and I expect competitive play all through the MVFC schedule.  I'm not making excuses or lowing expectations now.  Not by a long shot!

Offline FOOTBALLFEVER

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: August 30, 2017, 06:29:18 PM »
Great point Go guins!! Lets hope that we are competitive and limit the mental error's. Many publications have this as one of the most winnable FCS vs. FBS game this weekend. The weather is supposed to now clear up between 12-5 with a 30% chance of showers..keeping my fingers crossed we shall see!!