YSU Penguin Athletics > YSU Penguin Athletics

Basketball Announces 2017-18 Non-Horizon League Slate

(1/5) > >>

IAA Fan:
The Youngstown State men's basketball team released the 2017-18 non-Horizon League portion of its schedule which features contests against a Big Ten team, a Mountain West Conference school and a pair of schools from the Big East Conference, first-year Head Coach Jerrod Calhoun announced on Wednesday.

For the first time in school history, the Penguins will face Big Ten member Indiana, and will take on former Horizon League foe Butler (25-9), and DePaul, both members of the Big East. Youngstown State will also play Utah State of the Mountain West for the first time in school history.

The Penguins' 2017-18 Division I non-league opponents combined for 167 wins and five teams made the postseason.

"I think we accomplished what we set out to do when we got here," Calhoun said. "We are playing a variety of schools from different parts of the country with different styles and different coaches. I think we challenged ourselves and we are excited about it."

The Penguins open the campaign against NCAA Tournament participant Kent State (22-14) on Nov. 11 in the Third Annual Northeast Ohio Coaches vs. Cancer Doubleheader at the University of Akron.

Sandwiched between the home opener against Franciscan on Nov. 14 and a home game against Westminster on Nov. 21 is a return game at Canisius on Nov. 18 in Buffalo, N.Y.

The Penguins then head to South Dakota to play in the Sanford Pentagon Showcase, Nov. 24-26, in Sioux Falls, S.D. Youngstown State will face Northern Colorado on Nov. 24, Southern Mississippi on Nov. 25 and South Dakota (22-12) on Nov. 26. The home contest against Westminster is also part of the exempt tournament.

The Penguins will play their final non-league home game against Robert Morris on Nov. 29.

The final five non-league games will be on the road at DePaul (Dec. 2), at Butler (Dec. 9), at Idaho State (Dec. 18), at Utah State (Dec. 20) and at Indiana (Dec. 29).

The complete schedule will be released later this summer.   

November
Sat. 11    vs. Kent State @ University of Akron - J.A.R. Arena          TBA    
Tue. 14    Franciscan                    TBA    
Sat. 18    at Canisius          TBA    
Tue. 21    Westminster (Pa.)          TBA    
Fri. 24    vs. Northern Colo. @ Sioux Falls, S.D.          9:00 PM    
Sat. 25    vs. Southern Miss. @ Sioux Falls, S.D.          7:30 PM    
Sun. 26    vs. South Dakota @ Sioux Falls, S.D.          12:00 PM    
Wed. 29    Robert Morris          TBA    

December
Sat. 2    at DePaul          TBA    
Sat. 9    at Butler                   TBA    
Mon. 18    at Idaho St.          TBA    
Wed. 20    at Utah St.          TBA    
Fri. 29    at Indiana          TBA

Dmorton:
No one should complain about this schedule!!!!  It will be demanding!!!

YsuPride:
Very hard non-conference away schedule. The home schedule really stinks though. I think coach will change that in the future but this year only three non-conference games at home.

ytownchief22:
Trib reported that WVU or the Buckeyes are coming to Covelli in 2018.

IAA Fan:

--- Quote from: YsuPride on June 29, 2017, 02:02:40 PM ---Very hard non-conference away schedule. The home schedule really stinks though. I think coach will change that in the future but this year only three non-conference games at home.

--- End quote ---

Coach will have nothing to do with it, just as no other coach ever has. If you want a more demanding schedule, then you had better be prepared to travel, so back your bags. Read any article about Horizon League era Butler and that is a recurring theme. We are not traveling to bigger clubs to challenge ourselves; we are looking for the paycheck to pay our new staff. Scheduling is all about $$$.

As to OSU, I can believe they would come here if their is a tournament. Also, that program has just taken a major step backwards. This new coach (for OSU) had better win big early, or it is going to mean the Buckeyes spend the next 5-seasons trying to prove themselves.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version