YSU Penguin Athletics > YSU Penguin Athletics

Basketball Announces 2017-18 Non-Horizon League Slate

<< < (2/5) > >>

go guins:

--- Quote from: IAA Fan on June 30, 2017, 08:36:02 AM ---
--- Quote from: YsuPride on June 29, 2017, 02:02:40 PM ---Very hard non-conference away schedule. The home schedule really stinks though. I think coach will change that in the future but this year only three non-conference games at home.

--- End quote ---

Coach will have nothing to do with it, just as no other coach ever has. If you want a more demanding schedule, then you had better be prepared to travel, so back your bags. Read any article about Horizon League era Butler and that is a recurring theme. We are not traveling to bigger clubs to challenge ourselves; we are looking for the paycheck to pay our new staff. Scheduling is all about $$$.

As to OSU, I can believe they would come here if their is a tournament. Also, that program has just taken a major step backwards. This new coach (for OSU) had better win big early, or it is going to mean the Buckeyes spend the next 5-seasons trying to prove themselves.

--- End quote ---
While I agree with much of what you post here, particularly the $$$ issue, you continue to amaze me with the depth of your naivety regarding somebody’s job description vs. coach's influence in scheduling, coaches, hiring etc.
Your statement: "Coach will have nothing to do with it, just as no other coach ever has." simply is naive in its assessment.   All coaches have influence in scheduling, even poor ones, much less aggressive up and comers like Calhoun.  I also believe you and others on your blog have been very "understated" in the responsibility and therefore praise due one JT for turning around the athletic programs at YSU.

YsuPride:
I believe the coach does have say so in the schedule. My son went to his basketball camp last week. He was very involved in the camp and did a lot of teaching and coaching. I wish him good luck and wise i asked him a few questions and he did say he's going to improve the schedule at home. I think he just got stuck with slocum's schedule for this coming year. But we're probably going to pay people to come here a little bit more to attract better competition

IAA Fan:
If you are talking about rewarding a coach by playing their former employer then ...yes a coach does have influence, but that is about it. Tressel was the exception, as he was both AD and HC at YSU, so scheduling was part of his job description. Later YSU's playing FB at Ohio Stadium came from respect for Tressel at OSU, but never would have come if it were not for an NCAA ruling, no matter how much Tressel wished it would.

Now some coaches do have powerful friends & can be influential in obtaining slots in tourneys or playing a $$$ game. YSU is not that small of a MBB school that a coach has many responsibilities outside of his players/staff and required marketing. You people are not willing to accept the fact that anything good and bad in a schedule comes from the Athletic Department administration. Typical. Slocum was not responsible for the weaker early schedules and the better latter schedules and Calhoun will be the same.

YsuPride:
Bottom line is we got to coach this probably going to kick some butt here. I'm looking forward to the new season and a lot of these new players. It may take time to get us to 20 wins but I bet he does and moves on to bigger and better things. Now I will return the beeghly now that Slocum is gone. Mark my word the home schedule will get better I think it's all because of the new head coach

Wick250:
Calhoun did a radio interview on one of the local stations on Thursday.  In response to a question from the host, he stated that Director of Player Personnel, Kevin Bruinsma, arranged the ooc schedule for this season. Calhoun also said that we are playing so many money games because he wants to finance renovations in the gym.  He did not specify exactly what renovations he has in mind.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version