YSU Penguin Athletics > YSU Penguin Athletics

Paul Molinari Named YSU Basketball Assistant Coach

(1/3) > >>

IAA Fan:
Paul Molinari (pronounced "mall-in-are-ee), a 27-year coaching veteran at the Division I and Division II levels, has been named an assistant coach on the Youngstown State University men's basketball staff, Head Coach Jerrod Calhoun announced on Tuesday.

He joined YSU after five seasons as associate head coach on Calhoun's staff at Fairmont State from 2012-17. During his time at Fairmont State, Molinari helped the Falcons to a five-year record of 124-38, four NCAA Tournament appearances and at least 20 wins each season.

"Paul brings a lot to the table with more than 25 years of coaching," Calhoun said. "He's worked with Coach (Rollie) Massimino and Gregg Marshall. He was a huge key to our success at Fairmont State. He's kind of a jack-of-all-trades. Not only is he great in recruiting, but in preparation, scouting and on-the-floor coaching."

Last season, he helped Fairmont State to the NCAA Division II National Championship game, a school-best record of 34-3, its first conference championship in 21 years with a mark of 21-1 and received its first NCAA Division II No. 1 ranking since 1976. The program also won 30-or-more games for the first time since 1974-75. Senior Matt Bingaya was named NABC Division II First-Team All-American and earned All-Mountain East Conference First-Team honors.

In 2015-16, the Falcons had two post players earn Mountain East Conference postseason honors and FSU ended the season with a 25-5 overall record, earning a bid to their third NCAA Tournament in four seasons. The Falcons recorded four-straight 20-win seasons since Calhoun and Molinari took over the program back in 2012.

A native of Oneonta, N.Y., Molinari spent nine seasons at Winthrop from 2003-12. Molinari was a part of Marshall's staff for five seasons, and as an assistant for Randy Peele the last four years. In his nine years with the program, Winthrop won the conference tournament title five times earning bids to the NCAA Tournament in each of those seasons. In 2006-2007, the Eagles finished 29-5, were ranked 22nd in the nation, and upset Notre Dame in the first round of the NCAA Tournament.

Molinari spent seven seasons (1996-2003) as an assistant at Cleveland State. In 2000-01, the Vikings went 19-13, their best mark in a 14-year span.

From 1994-96, Molinari was an assistant coach on Scott Thompson's staff at Wichita State. The Shockers won 13 games in his first season, which marked the school's second-most wins during a seven-year run, and included a 10-4 record at home at Koch Arena.

He obtained a bachelor's degree from Villanova in 1990 majoring in business administration and a master's degree from Kent State in 1991 majoring in sports administration.

go guins:
Again, another really qualified addition.  And again, the first thought from Coach Calhoun is recruiting:  "Not only is he great in recruiting,"   We are doing all the right things here.  Big question is, what will the sports marketing people do to but some butts in the seats early on?  My guess: -0-

Double ET:

--- Quote from: go guins on April 13, 2017, 08:34:58 AM ---Again, another really qualified addition.  And again, the first thought from Coach Calhoun is recruiting:  "Not only is he great in recruiting,"   We are doing all the right things here.  Big question is, what will the sports marketing people do to but some butts in the seats early on?  My guess: -0-

--- End quote ---

You are absolutely correct. The sport marketing dept. is still stuck in the last century. I used to walk to watch the basketball game at South High field house in 1966 when I was a freshman at YU.
I have not watched the game in the last two years although I can now walk to the court across the campus from my office (I can see the building from my office).
 They cannot provide half price tickets or reduced price/free tickets at the box office at the game. You have to drive up to the football stadium to get them a day before game day.

Last year, fans could go to a game for free if you get a coupon at an ice cream place. I was going to go but only to find out that I had to make an extra trip to exchange the coupon for a ticket at the football stadium a day before game day. I didn't go to the game. In the 70's, you could actually get the MBB tickets at the Basketball court. They are moving backward.

Why couldn't the marketing department allow the fans to get discount at the game without making them to make another trip to the ticket office at football stadium a day in advance?

They told me at one time this is because they don't have the computer terminals at the game. My answer to the was, "PUT THEM THERE". That was 10 years ago. We still don't have them. I don't think they really care. It is much easier to blame the fans for not supporting the program than they have to do something to make it easier for the fans.

Sad.

go guins:

[/quote

You are absolutely correct. The sport marketing dept. is still stuck in the last century. I used to walk to watch the basketball game at South High field house in 1966 when I was a freshman at YU.
I have not watched the game in the last two years although I can now walk to the court across the campus from my office (I can see the building from my office).
 They cannot provide half price tickets or reduced price/free tickets at the box office at the game. You have to drive up to the football stadium to get them a day before game day.

Last year, fans could go to a game for free if you get a coupon at an ice cream place. I was going to go but only to find out that I had to make an extra trip to exchange the coupon for a ticket at the football stadium a day before game day. I didn't go to the game. In the 70's, you could actually get the MBB tickets at the Basketball court. They are moving backward.

Why couldn't the marketing department allow the fans to get discount at the game without making them to make another trip to the ticket office at football stadium a day in advance?

They told me at one time this is because they don't have the computer terminals at the game. My answer to the was, "PUT THEM THERE". That was 10 years ago. We still don't have them. I don't think they really care. It is much easier to blame the fans for not supporting the program than they have to do something to make it easier for the fans.

Sad.
[/quote]

You are MUCH older than me (I wasn't a freshman until the fall of 1967!)  Remember Willy Teague, John McElroy, and Billy Johnson at good old South High?  I loved Coach Dom looking up at Willy from about waist high and giving him "what for"!  Teague could have smashed him like a bug if he had wanted to!  Had a class with Willy and he was a really nice guy.  Not sure he was the sharpest pin in the cushion, but quite easy going.
You and I don’t have to be on the cutting edge of technology, but frankly I’m far ahead of YSU sports marketing.  Why don’t we have on line services, etc.?  They have smart kids in that school, don't they?  Why not on-line ticketing.  No paper tickets, and other services?  They are frankly embarrassing.

Double ET:

You are MUCH older than me (I wasn't a freshman until the fall of 1967!)  Remember Willy Teague, John McElroy, and Billy Johnson at good old South High?  I loved Coach Dom looking up at Willy from about waist high and giving him "what for"!  Teague could have smashed him like a bug if he had wanted to!  Had a class with Willy and he was a really nice guy.  Not sure he was the sharpest pin in the cushion, but quite easy going.
You and I don’t have to be on the cutting edge of technology, but frankly I’m far ahead of YSU sports marketing.  Why don’t we have on line services, etc.?  They have smart kids in that school, don't they?  Why not on-line ticketing.  No paper tickets, and other services?  They are frankly embarrassing.
[/quote]

This is why I said i went to YU instead of YSU.

I remember Willy Teague, John McElroy, and Billy Johnson well. I had classes with couple basketball players in one of those easy liberal arts electives. The class was at least 90% players. Regular students could never sign up for this class since it was closed in the first 30 minutes of the registration. Players could register first before general registration began. I was able to register early because they also let student campus workers to register in the early registration (after the players, of course).

The class was a joke. Most of them did not even show up the class. I didn't even buy the text book. They were unhappy with a "C" even thought they wrote 1 page on the final exam. I wrote BS on the entire blue book and got an A.

Willy Teague had to show off in one game. At the time, it was not permissible to dunk the ball during warm up. He had to do it before going into the locker room. The first play before tip off was a technical FT for the other team. We trailed 1-0 before the game even started. I watched John McElroy's 72 points game. It would have been higher if they had 3 - point basket back then since most of his shots were from outside.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version