YSU Penguin Athletics > YSU Penguin Athletics

Paul Molinari Named YSU Basketball Assistant Coach

<< < (3/3)

go guins:
Yes Double ET, the good old days weren't always all that good!  Polio shots, TB, hours of arguments in bars about who won the World Series 5 years prior.  A full day wasted registering for classes. Today, much is vastly improved.

Back to YSU sports.  Regarding the sports marketing, I'm not certain who I am discussed with.  I assume the AD is the man in charge of marketing the athletic teams, so I assume Strollo.  The absolutely embarrassing episode with the Frisco tickets has to be his decision to turn down, correct?  Going on from there, I wonder who is the guy to bug regarding things like just blowing off the spring game, the lack of university support for BB etc.  Any input as to who to send feedback would be welcome.  We have 10 season tickets, that's 10 different people sending e-mails.  Efforts that start small like that can have big impact sometimes.

Double ET:
go guins,

There is a marketing and events department. However, they usually market the university academic events (commencement, on campus university events (high school visits, open house), student events....

All the sports activities, I believe, is AD Ron Strollo's domain and he reports directly to President Tressel. Sports marketing should be under his domain. I have no clue who runs the sports marketing. I have met and spoke to Tresell, Strollo, Pellini many time. However, I have never met the sport marketing guy. He must be keeping a low profile.

For things to change in sports marketing, I think Strollo has to make that a priority and held them responsible. He has to starting asking some of the same questions that all of us in this website have been asking for the last few years (or longer).

go guins:

--- Quote from: Double ET on April 13, 2017, 03:25:34 PM ---go guins,

There is a marketing and events department. However, they usually market the university academic events (commencement, on campus university events (high school visits, open house), student events....

All the sports activities, I believe, is AD Ron Strollo's domain and he reports directly to President Tressel. Sports marketing should be under his domain. I have no clue who runs the sports marketing. I have met and spoke to Tresell, Strollo, Pellini many time. However, I have never met the sport marketing guy. He must be keeping a low profile.

For things to change in sports marketing, I think Strollo has to make that a priority and held them responsible. He has to starting asking some of the same questions that all of us in this website have been asking for the last few years (or longer).

--- End quote ---
Based on what we see, I think we are looking for a guy (person) that doesn't exist.  I am certain your comment "For things to change in sports marketing, I think Strollo has to make that a priority" is absolutely spot on.  Seems he takes the "Field of Dreams" approach, if you build it, they will come.  Today's society provides plenty of options for people’s leisure time and money and we need to be much more proactive if we are going to get them to come.
Anyway, have a great Easter.  I can only hope you have and enjoy your grandchildren as much as Carol and I!

Double ET:

--- Quote from: go guins on April 14, 2017, 08:35:00 AM ---
--- Quote from: Double ET on April 13, 2017, 03:25:34 PM ---go guins,

--- End quote ---
Based on what we see, I think we are looking for a guy (person) that doesn't exist.  I am certain your comment "For things to change in sports marketing, I think Strollo has to make that a priority" is absolutely spot on.  Seems he takes the "Field of Dreams" approach, if you build it, they will come.  Today's society provides plenty of options for people’s leisure time and money and we need to be much more proactive if we are going to get them to come.
Anyway, have a great Easter.  I can only hope you have and enjoy your grandchildren as much as Carol and I!

--- End quote ---

Go guins,

Enjoy your Easter with your family. Some of my children will make it home this Easter. They all live out of state. Our college of STEM has to host high school, junior and elementary school students at YSU all the time as part of our marketing effort. Last week, at our research conference Quest,YSU invited almost 40 of the seniors class of Champion High school to attend. Tressel made the welcoming comments. I sat with one of the table during lunch talking to them about career in STEM. Hopefully, some of them wiil choose YSU. This is part of our continuous marketing effort in engaging the students and employers. We do more than teaching and research.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version