YSU Penguin Athletics > YSU Penguin Athletics

Paul Molinari Named YSU Basketball Assistant Coach

<< < (2/3) > >>

Wick250:
In the modern era, it is very, very hard to get people to attend athletic events on the campus of most mid-major programs.  Akron has won 20+ games forever and they drew, according to the Cleveland media, just 3,391 per game this season.  Kent went to the NCAA tournament but drew only 2,879.  Calhoun and winning will certainly help at the gate but it is not enough.  As you guys just noted, we need a modern, competent marketing department that understands and can serve both old and young fans alike.  Not only do we lack that, but the incumbents truly believe that they are doing a fine job!  Yes sad. Very sad.

jbags:
If we win we will draw...Mike Rice days prove it...an idea..how about weekday games charge A cheaper price than weekends

Double ET:

--- Quote from: Wick250 on April 13, 2017, 11:46:15 AM ---In the modern era, it is very, very hard to get people to attend athletic events on the campus of most mid-major programs.  Akron has won 20+ games forever and they drew, according to the Cleveland media, just 3,391 per game this season.  Kent went to the NCAA tournament but drew only 2,879.  Calhoun and winning will certainly help at the gate but it is not enough.  As you guys just noted, we need a modern, competent marketing department that understands and can serve both old and young fans alike.  Not only do we lack that, but the incumbents truly believe that they are doing a fine job!  Yes sad. Very sad.

--- End quote ---

Even with a free ticket, YSU still makes $6 on parking.
How about free parking for the weekend games?
A few years ago, they gave me a free plastic license plate bracket cover for my car as a give away for the MBB game. It didn't fit my Ohio plate. I showed it to my son and he put it on his car. You guess it, it only fits on Pennsylvania plates since it covers up the registration sticker of the Ohio plates.

go guins:

This is why I said i went to YU instead of YSU.

I remember Willy Teague, John McElroy, and Billy Johnson well. I had classes with couple basketball players in one of those easy liberal arts electives. The class was at least 90% players. Regular students could never sign up for this class since it was closed in the first 30 minutes of the registration. Players could register first before general registration began. I was able to register early because they also let student campus workers to register in the early registration (after the players, of course).

The class was a joke. Most of them did not even show up the class. I didn't even buy the text book. They were unhappy with a "C" even thought they wrote 1 page on the final exam. I wrote BS on the entire blue book and got an A.

Willy Teague had to show off in one game. At the time, it was not permissible to dunk the ball during warm up. He had to do it before going into the locker room. The first play before tip off was a technical FT for the other team. We trailed 1-0 before the game even started. I watched John McElroy's 72 points game. It would have been higher if they had 3 - point basket back then since most of his shots were from outside.
[/quote]

Fall of '67 was the first quarter (quarters then) as a State U.  YU was on semesters I believe because EVERYBODY was messed up that fall.  Remember registering in the basement of Tod Hall behind the old library?  Started on the 3rd floor and went back and forth for hours to get to the basement only to find the class closed?  Kent was no better; my wife (girlfriend then) would be in tears registering.  The marketing department must have organized those sheets of paper with little squares to put and "X" in!
I remember McElroy missing a breakaway layup in the 72 pt game, but "3's" would have put him to 80! 

Double ET:

--- Quote from: go guins on April 13, 2017, 01:26:18 PM ---

This is why I said i went to YU instead of YSU.

I remember Willy Teague, John McElroy, and Billy Johnson well. I had classes with couple basketball players in one of those easy liberal arts electives. The class was at least 90% players. Regular students could never sign up for this class since it was closed in the first 30 minutes of the registration. Players could register first before general registration began. I was able to register early because they also let student campus workers to register in the early registration (after the players, of course).

The class was a joke. Most of them did not even show up the class. I didn't even buy the text book. They were unhappy with a "C" even thought they wrote 1 page on the final exam. I wrote BS on the entire blue book and got an A.

Willy Teague had to show off in one game. At the time, it was not permissible to dunk the ball during warm up. He had to do it before going into the locker room. The first play before tip off was a technical FT for the other team. We trailed 1-0 before the game even started. I watched John McElroy's 72 points game. It would have been higher if they had 3 - point basket back then since most of his shots were from outside.

--- End quote ---

Fall of '67 was the first quarter (quarters then) as a State U.  YU was on semesters I believe because EVERYBODY was messed up that fall.  Remember registering in the basement of Tod Hall behind the old library?  Started on the 3rd floor and went back and forth for hours to get to the basement only to find the class closed?  Kent was no better; my wife (girlfriend then) would be in tears registering.  The marketing department must have organized those sheets of paper with little squares to put and "X" in!
I remember McElroy missing a breakaway layup in the 72 pt game, but "3's" would have put him to 80!
[/quote]

go guins, at least you made it into Tod Hall. I was still lining up on Elm road and Lincoln Ave. The old semester was terrible. School started in late September and ran through January (professors assigned ton of home work for the Christmas break)

My students now register on their cell phones. If they had trouble registering, they walked into my office and I looked it up on my computer. I issued them an Over-ride and they were done. They were still unhappy that they had to spend 10 minutes to register.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version