YSU Penguin Athletics > YSU Penguin Athletics

YSU MEN'S BASKETBALL/SLOCUM

<< < (4/29) > >>

YSUFANSINCE1990:
 Penguin Nation you nailed it!   Your post is accurate.  We also do everything 'cheap'.  I hear already the talk of paying a new coach $150,000 a year.  I realize this is good money for Youngstown, but it will still be the lowest paid in the HL.  Since we are hardly paying Pelini (he gets the Nebraska money) we have some additional money.

Only way you get a potential quality guy at $150 K is a young assistant who desires to be a head coach. It can happen, then you hope he is gone within 5 years, then you made the right hire.  He got the program turned around, then takes a bigger coach.

I would say Strollo's best hire was Coach Bolden with the women's program. He won, and he moved on.  Thats what happens at mid-majors.

What I do know for sure is Slocum needs to go.

ytownchief22:
I'm telling you, if you offered the job to Rick McFadden he would take it.

Ties to this area obviously being from Struthers. He's been the recruiting coordinator for Akron for many years, a great assistant under Dambrot and a consistent 20+ win and NCAA tournament contender. His wife played basketball at YSU.

It all makes sense.... But Strollo and Co. will screw it up somehow I'm sure.

YSUFANSINCE1990:
 Chief, where do we sign up?  I would take Rick McFadden right now.  Been part of a winning program at Akron, he knows NE Ohio, has connections.

He appears to be an assistant coach on the way up.

Wick250:
Slocum was making 135K.  Raising the pay to 150k won't really help that much as far as attracting a talented, national pool of applicants.  Which is exactly why McFadden makes perfect sense.  He will come here for that money because of his local ties and the opportunity to run his own program.  It does not hurt that we actually have two players coming back (hopefully) that are worth something, so he would have some foundation.  But would any of you be willing to bet that our athletic director even gives this guy an interview?

Dmorton:
I wound not bet on the two players coming back!

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version