YSU Penguin Athletics > YSU Penguin Athletics

What Can We Do to Improve Football Attendance?

<< < (2/8) > >>

ytowngirl:
I remember when I was younger during the Tressel years there would be standing room only tickets in the end zones that how packed it would get.  And that was without the 2nd side.  Sad unfortunately most of the YSU fans probably died or left the area.  People in Youngstown could probably careless.  Also it doesn't seem like the students care either. 

Wick250:
There have been many intelligent comments about attendance spread across several threads on this site in the last day.  I subscribe to the school of thought that technology has changed the fan bases forever, and that the numbers of the 90s will never be matched.

Nevertheless, to address the topic of this thread, here is my suggestion.  Eliminate all university positions associated with ticket sales and marketing.  The incompetence has been legendary.  Then take the money saved from salaries, pension funding, health care premiums, and the sums allocated by the university to athletic marketing and do one of two things.

First, hire a professional marketing firm.  Pay them a modest fixed sum and allow them to take a portion of every ticket sold in football and basketball.  Their livelihood would depend upon performance.  That is certainly not the case now.

Second, and my personal preference, turn sales and marketing over to our business school.  Have internships where graduate students and upperclassmen would handle all the functions currently performed by athletic department staff.  In addition to their internship stipends, allow these students to keep a portion of the sales.  They are aspiring capitalists and that would ensure maximum dedication to the task at hand.

One thing is for sure.  Maintain the status quo and expect the same results from the past twenty years....nothing.

ytowngirl:

--- Quote from: Wick250 on November 27, 2016, 04:26:30 PM ---There have been many intelligent comments about attendance spread across several threads on this site in the last day.  I subscribe to the school of thought that technology has changed the fan bases forever, and that the numbers of the 90s will never be matched.

Nevertheless, to address the topic of this thread, here is my suggestion.  Eliminate all university positions associated with ticket sales and marketing.  The incompetence has been legendary.  Then take the money saved from salaries, pension funding, health care premiums, and the sums allocated by the university to athletic marketing and do one of two things.

First, hire a professional marketing firm.  Pay them a modest fixed sum and allow them to take a portion of every ticket sold in football and basketball.  Their livelihood would depend upon performance.  That is certainly not the case now.

Second, and my personal preference, turn sales and marketing over to our business school.  Have internships where graduate students and upperclassmen would handle all the functions currently performed by athletic department staff.  In addition to their internship stipends, allow these students to keep a portion of the sales.  They are aspiring capitalists and that would ensure maximum dedication to the task at hand.

One thing is for sure.  Maintain the status quo and expect the same results from the past twenty years....nothing.

--- End quote ---

I have to completely agree with this.  Marketing is lacking.

One thing I noticed a while ago, I haven't lived in Youngstown area in 18 years, but when I do go home during football season they barely mention YSU on local news.  Typically just during the sports time and just for a few minutes at best.  Now that we moved to Columbus last year, from San Diego, all the news stations talk Ohio State and a lot of the times its the opening news story.  Now I see why people are obsessed with Ohio State down here.

JaxSinfonian:

--- Quote from: gbs20 on November 27, 2016, 02:27:25 PM ---1. I dont believe YSU bids to host. Hosting is now determined by seeding. Back in the 90s that wasnt the case. I could be wrong though.
--- End quote ---

Sorry, but you are wrong. You guys hosted yesterday because you outbid Samford. Unless neither team submitted a bid, in which case I have no idea how the NCAA determines the host site.

Only the top eight teams in the tournament field are seeded, and games involving those teams are determined by seeding. The rest are paired in the first round with an eye toward geography, with the site determined by the bid. Here's an interview with last year's selection committee chairman that explains the process pretty well: http://thefcswedge.com/the-fcs-wedge/the-fcs-wedge-2016-1117-fcs-selection-process-mark-wilson/

Penguin Ice:

--- Quote from: Wick250 on November 27, 2016, 04:26:30 PM ---There have been many intelligent comments about attendance spread across several threads on this site in the last day.  I subscribe to the school of thought that technology has changed the fan bases forever, and that the numbers of the 90s will never be matched.

Agree 100% with this.

ALSO JUST KEEP WINNING

--- End quote ---

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version