Author Topic: SDSU Week  (Read 37438 times)

Offline go guins

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
Re: SDSU Week
« Reply #15 on: October 18, 2016, 02:25:39 PM »
Yeah but not just any P5 job Go, a good P5 job. He was offered the Maryland job last year and didnt want it.
Last year was first out of Nebraska and who knows, all these are anonymous reports.  Who knows what and if Maryland offered?   I don’t think the ACC guys want to be Big10 anyway.  IMO this is a marginal job at best.  Not as bad a Big10 pick up as Rutgers, but close. 
Watching Penquins Football & Basketball since 1967!

Offline FOOTBALLFEVER

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 18, 2016, 03:10:43 PM »
Like Wells or not his career numbers are starting to look pretty good right about now and that was with a very banged up line and some receivers who simply couldn't catch. I love Ricky to death, but 8-25 with 2 picks in the last 2 conference games really concerns me. The coordinator's in this conference catch on quick
« Last Edit: October 18, 2016, 03:24:26 PM by FOOTBALLFEVER »

Offline ytownchief22

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 18, 2016, 03:55:15 PM »
Bo is not going to Purdue. Let's focus on this week please.

Offline Penguin Nation

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 18, 2016, 04:05:26 PM »
Like Wells or not his career numbers are starting to look pretty good right about now and that was with a very banged up line and some receivers who simply couldn't catch. I love Ricky to death, but 8-25 with 2 picks in the last 2 conference games really concerns me. The coordinator's in this conference catch on quick

Ricky never threw a pic in his college career until after the concussion, and then threw four.  :-[ I think he's a different player now, unfortunately.  But if it makes you feel better, Ricky's passing efficiency now, despite four INTs, is better than Wells last year.  FWIW, Ricky's passing efficiency in 2015 was also > Wells (with the identical o line and receivers).  Davis (and some Hosick and Mays) got us to 5-1 so far.  Last year all we had was five wins.  QBs seem to regress under Monty, but maybe Davis will develop and progress.  We'll see.
"These two cats that we played against from Youngstown State were as good of pass rushers as I've seen"

--WVU Head Coach Dana Holgorsen

Offline IAA Fan

• Administrator
  • Emperor Penguin
  • Bring Coke back to YSU!!
    • View Profile
    • ysupenguins.com
« Reply #19 on: October 18, 2016, 05:34:40 PM »
Like it or not ...Mays is last year's #4 QB. This year he moves up to #3, now #2. Davis is last year's #2 QB and this year's #1. This is Davis' first year. Those were Mays' first collegiate game snaps. The fact that Davis has done as well as he has and the additional fact that Mays was able to step in and drive the team for 2-TD's proves your theory on QB's progression under Monty to be quite incorrect Nation. Go, we all need to stop looking any any of these guys as running QB's ..as not even Hosick is truly such. However you are correct on his running skills vs the others. Again I point to the line's inability to pass protect. (incidentally, I think that you will see that change starting this week).

Also, allow me to point out that last year under Wells (and Monty) we had 7 INTs (maybe a bit high), had 2,198 yards rushing and 2,117 yards passing in just 11 games. The Penguins averaged 392.3 yards per game of total offense and 29.4 points per contest. These numbers should win just about every game.

In general under Monty, we have never has less that 2k passing and 2k rushing in any season. Definitely correct me if I am wrong, but I do not think so. Dante Nania was the only QB that did not accomplish this and he was only a 3 or 4 game starter. Hess began his career under Monty and owns just about every record. Monty took solid talent and made an exceptional QB. Wells had an amazing red-zone percentage of 91.5 (43-of-47) his first year. This is really there first year that I can recall our red-zone performance being called into question. So it is not as though I have some infatuation with Monty or Wells, I simply see what coach M has done here at YSU, along with the fact that we have a more solid D to go along with Monty's O ...which is why we are 5-1 with 2 (maybe 3) good teams under our belts. However, we definitely have the toughest part of our schedule ahead of us.
« Last Edit: October 18, 2016, 05:38:00 PM by IAA Fan »

Offline FOOTBALLFEVER

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 18, 2016, 05:41:15 PM »
Ricky's passing efficiency in conference play is currently 103.4 Hunters passing efficiency in conference play was 136.4 in 2014 and 122.0 in 2015...with a higher number of passes thrown your efficiency should be lower and the less passes thrown higher..if you want to count 15 passes prior so be lol..We had lineman last year that are know longer here plus we added vitas..We have brought in how many transfers at the WR position that are contributing?  I care deeply for Ricky's health and I hope the concussion isn't playing a part in this..I do agree with you at the end of the day we are still 5-1

Offline FOOTBALLFEVER

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 18, 2016, 06:19:33 PM »
Some very good points 1AA on your previous post

Offline Penguin Nation

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 19, 2016, 10:12:00 AM »
Ricky's passing efficiency in conference play is currently 103.4 Hunters passing efficiency in conference play was 136.4 in 2014 and 122.0 in 2015...with a higher number of passes thrown your efficiency should be lower and the less passes thrown higher..if you want to count 15 passes prior so be lol..We had lineman last year that are know longer here plus we added vitas..We have brought in how many transfers at the WR position that are contributing?  I care deeply for Ricky's health and I hope the concussion isn't playing a part in this..I do agree with you at the end of the day we are still 5-1

Here are the final 2015 stats.
PASS EFFICIENCY Cl G Comp-Att-Int Yds TD Eff.
6. Davis, Ricky-YSU So 9 8-18-0 142 1 129.0
8. Wells, Hunter-YSU So 11 159-291-7 1975 13 121.6

http://www.mvc.org/football/stats/15/ind-all.pdf

Here are this seasons current PE rating for Davis:
9. Davis, Ricky-YSU Jr 5 46-90-4 749 5 130.5

http://www.mvc.org/football/stats/ind.pdf

This is what you are referring to, which excludes OOC games:

http://www.mvc.org/football/stats/ind-conf.pdf

Using an apples to apples comparison, Davis had a better PE than Wells with the same o-line and receivers in 2015.  It's a small sample size for Davis, but that only empahsizes the point further.  Wells was allegedly the passing guru, so much so that we were supposed to forget about his minus 44 yards rushing for the season.  Despite all of that game experience, he still wasn't as accurate as our part-time QB.

Including all games, and not cherry picking MVFC games, Davis still has a better passing efficiency now in 2016, even despite recent setbacks, than Wells had in 2015.

It's interesting that you mentioned that Wells passing efficiency regressed from 2014 to 2015.  That is what I'm saying about Monty.  QBs regress under him.  I saw it with Hess.  And no 1AA, the fact that Mays performed well doesn't have anything to do with progression or regression.  You need to follow performance over time to establish progression or regression. 

All of that being said, I think Davis will mature as a QB, not be as reckless, and his PE will improve. Also, I think Mays will be a very capable second string QB.  If we find D that can stop our run for four quarters, tho, we are screwed.
"These two cats that we played against from Youngstown State were as good of pass rushers as I've seen"

--WVU Head Coach Dana Holgorsen

Offline IAA Fan

• Administrator
  • Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
    • ysupenguins.com
« Reply #23 on: October 19, 2016, 12:59:12 PM »
This is my biggest fear for right now and especially this weekend:

Offline ytownchief22

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 19, 2016, 01:10:08 PM »

<iframe width="280" height="157" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/QlXLVc0J4lo" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

That's a 5-0 team and 12th ranked team in the nation. This is SDSU....

Offline Wick250

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: October 19, 2016, 01:31:37 PM »
In this modern age of spread offenses and high scoring games, few people even understand the value of a great defense.  Our offense is currently one-dimensional and rather boring.  Exactly as it was for most of the 1990s.  There are some people that understand the value of the mix of the running game and great defense.  Check out our ranking in the Sagarin and Massey ratings, then compare that to our very low position in the popularity polls.  Even if we don't prevail on the road at SDSU and NDSU, we are on course for a 8-3 (6-2) finish.  And our style of play will translate perfectly into December playoff football.

Offline go guins

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: October 19, 2016, 02:13:15 PM »

<iframe width="280" height="157" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/QlXLVc0J4lo" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
OH sh**!!  I thought we had SDSU this Saturday, now you tell me we have to play WVU again??
Wazup with that!?!?!?

Offline IAA Fan

• Administrator
  • Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
    • ysupenguins.com
« Reply #27 on: October 19, 2016, 02:29:18 PM »
Our defense is as one-dimensional as our offense ...maybe even more so. I just have concern that SDSU receivers are going to get behind us if Moss and Rivers cannot deliver the pressure quickly enough. Thos team has an RB-WR combination that we have not faced since WVU. Two WR's, a big back and a small back.

I see us needing at least one win off of the xDSU's ...too many unknowns in ISU, MSU and SIU. Yes we do match up better with NDSU ...but SDSU is up first and I do not want to see what could be a must-win for both teams at NDSU.

Offline go guins

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: October 19, 2016, 02:59:46 PM »
Our defense is as one-dimensional as our offense ...maybe even more so. I just have concern that SDSU receivers are going to get behind us if Moss and Rivers cannot deliver the pressure quickly enough. Thos team has an RB-WR combination that we have not faced since WVU. Two WR's, a big back and a small back.

I see us needing at least one win off of the xDSU's ...too many unknowns in ISU, MSU and SIU. Yes we do match up better with NDSU ...but SDSU is up first and I do not want to see what could be a must-win for both teams at NDSU.
I agree.  The secondary situation that was so exposed at WVU still exists, although Bishop seems to be playing a little better.  The fact that that kid from UNI made Davis and Mays look OK doesn't mean anything if the kid from SDSU can play.  The good news is we do have Rivers and Moss, and they can get pressure!

I disagree on needing a XDSU win.  I see losing to both, if for no other reason than they're out west.  I see wins at ISU MSU and SIU and a playoff birth IF Davis is completely healthy.  Frankly I see 1-4 with Mays starting.

Offline IAA Fan

• Administrator
  • Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
    • ysupenguins.com
« Reply #29 on: October 19, 2016, 03:11:18 PM »

I agree.  The secondary situation that was so exposed at WVU still exists, although Bishop seems to be playing a little better.  The fact that that kid from UNI made Davis and Mays look OK doesn't mean anything if the kid from SDSU can play.  The good news is we do have Rivers and Moss, and they can get pressure!

I disagree on needing a XDSU win.  I see losing to both, if for no other reason than they're out west.  I see wins at ISU MSU and SIU and a playoff birth IF Davis is completely healthy.  Frankly I see 1-4 with Mays starting.

I agree on Bishop and as I noted earlier, coach Carl was very-well balance last week.