Author Topic: SDSU Week  (Read 37502 times)

Offline IAA Fan

• Administrator
  • Emperor Penguin
  • Bring Coke back to YSU!!
    • View Profile
    • ysupenguins.com
SDSU Week
« on: October 17, 2016, 07:48:53 AM »
Well here is a team that has pretty much had their way with us ...it is a battle for 1st-place in the conference, the auto-bid to the play-off and a seed. After watching this team pour their hearts into a win, I think they are beginning to understand just what it takes to win in the post-season ... so much more than talent. Let's go out there and do it.

Offline go guins

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
Re: SDSU Week
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2016, 09:16:05 AM »
1AA I agree 100% with the 100% effort on Sat. night, and I agree about needing more than talent, but would help with a QB!
Watching Penquins Football & Basketball since 1967!

Offline West-River_Jack

• Rock Hopper Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2016, 11:25:33 AM »
Greetings from a long time Jackrabbits fan.  I hope that a few of you will be able to make the trip to South Dakota.  It might be the most important game we have played against each other since you beat us in the Division II playoffs.  I assume that you have a few alumni/fans that live a bit closer to our area.  I hope they choose to attend.

Just a reminder, it is our homecoming game again this year.  I don't know if a sellout is anticipated.  It could happen so please arrange for your tickets before you leave home.  If your athletic department doesn't have an allotment for sale to Penguins fans you can buy them at www.gojacks.com where about 2700 seats are still listed for sale as of mid-morning on Monday.

If you were here two years ago, you will notice some changes.  We have made a few much needed improvements at our stadium.  Have a safe trip.  It should be a great afternoon for football.  The current forecast calls for sunshine (bring your sunglasses and/or a visor because most of the visiting fans will face the sun), breezes under 10 miles per hour and a high temperature of around 60 degrees.
Proud supporter of the SouthDakota State University Jackrabbits

Offline ytownchief22

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2016, 11:30:15 AM »
Big, big game. Very concerned about the offense but interested to see how the defense holds up. Biggest game of the Bo era so far.

Offline ysubigred

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2016, 12:48:48 PM »
Big, big game. Very concerned about the offense but interested to see how the defense holds up. Biggest game of the Bo era so far.

+1^^ What scares me is SDSU has a passing attack like no other in the MVFC!! Their QB is also fast and elusive so it will be a tall order for the "D" this week. I'm guessing with a week working with the 1st team Mays will be better prepared, did a great job coming off the bench without much warning last week  :)

Offline Penguin Nation

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 17, 2016, 01:18:16 PM »
I like our chances here.  It's true that they are a prolific offense, but we are well matched for their passing threat with our defense.  If we stick to a primarily ground and pound offense and cut back turnovers and ill advised passes, I think we dominate TOP and keep our defense rested and limit their # of drives.  I don't think they get a rushing TD.  Likely a lower scoring game like their NDSU game last week, but more than YSU-UNI.Win this road game and the sky is the limit this year.  I heard that Davis is expected to play, but I think we could win with Mays if not.  Sammarone was saying Alvin Bailey took snaps in HS.  Would he be Mays' back up?

This is the year.  Lots of talent graduates after this season, especially on defense.  The only team we lost to is now ranked #12/#13....and we were beating them in Q2.
"These two cats that we played against from Youngstown State were as good of pass rushers as I've seen"

--WVU Head Coach Dana Holgorsen

Offline ysubigred

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 17, 2016, 01:24:21 PM »
I like our chances here.  It's true that they are a prolific offense, but we are well matched for their passing threat with our defense.  If we stick to a primarily ground and pound offense and cut back turnovers and ill advised passes, I think we dominate TOP and keep our defense rested and limit their # of drives.  I don't think they get a rushing TD.  Likely a lower scoring game like their NDSU game last week, but more than YSU-UNI.Win this road game and the sky is the limit this year.  I heard that Davis is expected to play, but I think we could win with Mays if not.  Sammarone was saying Alvin Bailey took snaps in HS.  Would he be Mays' back up?

This is the year.  Lots of talent graduates after this season, especially on defense.  The only team we lost to is now ranked #12/#13....and we were beating them in Q2.

Even the Dukes are making us look good, only 2 loses 1 from the Guins.

Offline IAA Fan

• Administrator
  • Emperor Penguin
  • Bring Coke back to YSU!!
    • View Profile
    • ysupenguins.com
« Reply #7 on: October 17, 2016, 01:46:32 PM »
I also heard Davis fine. I am worried about whether coach Carl is going to leave 3 back in the secondary and allow more gap back to the LB's  ... like he did this past Saturday. Or are we going to crowd the line early? Against WVU, he started back and would creep up ...I am not certain SDSU has quite the arm of that guy from WVU, but he can release more quickly.

On offense, I think we need to be scoring early. Any word on Townsend? I hope that Wells is willing to take the scout team as Mays needs work with the 1's.

Offline Wick250

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 17, 2016, 03:01:36 PM »
Playing West Virginia was the best possible preparation for this game.  They have two outstanding FCS receivers but nobody that can simply run behind us like the WVU guys did.

The key will be establishing a balanced attack, regardless of who plays quarterback.  SDSU lost a shoot-out to triple option Cal Poly and survived a shoot-out with pass-happy Southern Illinois.  For whatever reason, SDSU plays better defense against us than their statistics would indicate that they should.  That has to stop. Pound the ball, move the chains, and own the fourth quarter just as we have done the past two weeks.

I have always felt that SDSU had the best home field advantage in the league.  The only grass field and the atmosphere of a high school stadium.  That is now gone.

Play hard and all the pressure is on them.

Offline ytownchief22

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 18, 2016, 01:01:04 PM »
Wells out again this week. Ricky Davis will start with Mays backing up.

Offline Penguin Nation

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 18, 2016, 01:43:11 PM »
"These two cats that we played against from Youngstown State were as good of pass rushers as I've seen"

--WVU Head Coach Dana Holgorsen

Offline go guins

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 18, 2016, 01:46:15 PM »
I suppose that is the best we could hope for: 2-7  3 yards & 1 int passing, 4 rushes for -4 yds. Davis over 3-6 25 yards & 1 int passing, 6 rush for 16 yds (11 on one play) Mays.
Pretty pitiful when you look at it, isn't it?
The secret to our lack of success is these "running QB's" is they don't run very well.  We are comparing them to Wells, and sure they are better than Hunter, but so am I.  The only guy with significant running talent was Hosick and he's done. 
I went back and watched Nate May's HUDL highlights for 2014 and 2013 and saw a LOT of very slow developing plays with defensive breakdowns that led to long runs or long, floating passes to wide open receivers.  Played against very weak competition.  If anybody wants links, let me know, very interesting
Go back 2 years from now when Wells was a freshman getting his first start.  He looked FAR better than either Davis or Mays starting their careers.  Looks to me like we are in deep do-do.

Offline go guins

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 18, 2016, 01:49:58 PM »
Say it ain't so Bo

https://twitter.com/danabalash21/status/788433060651950080
Let's have a poll"

Those that thought Bo would retire from YSU:            _____________
Those that thought he'd stay until a P5 job opened up ____X_________

Offline The YO Show

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 18, 2016, 01:53:12 PM »
Yeah but not just any P5 job Go, a good P5 job. He was offered the Maryland job last year and didnt want it.

Offline HappyPenguin

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 18, 2016, 02:00:21 PM »
I suppose that is the best we could hope for: 2-7  3 yards & 1 int passing, 4 rushes for -4 yds. Davis over 3-6 25 yards & 1 int passing, 6 rush for 16 yds (11 on one play) Mays.
Pretty pitiful when you look at it, isn't it?
The secret to our lack of success is these "running QB's" is they don't run very well.  We are comparing them to Wells, and sure they are better than Hunter, but so am I.  The only guy with significant running talent was Hosick and he's done. 
I went back and watched Nate May's HUDL highlights for 2014 and 2013 and saw a LOT of very slow developing plays with defensive breakdowns that led to long runs or long, floating passes to wide open receivers.  Played against very weak competition.  If anybody wants links, let me know, very interesting
Go back 2 years from now when Wells was a freshman getting his first start.  He looked FAR better than either Davis or Mays starting their careers.  Looks to me like we are in deep do-do.

That makes sense. He sure seemed very slow to decide what to do on that INT