YSU Penguin Athletics > YSU Penguin Athletics

Northern Iowa

<< < (15/15)

Penguin Nation:

--- Quote from: ytownchief22 on October 17, 2016, 04:55:39 PM ---
--- Quote from: Penguin Nation on October 17, 2016, 04:52:14 PM ---
--- Quote from: go guins on October 17, 2016, 04:45:02 PM ---
--- Quote from: Penguin Nation on October 17, 2016, 04:25:55 PM ---We had a drive (with our 3rd string QB no less) lasting 11:40, starting at the YSU14, and running 22 plays, driving   86 yards for a TD.  In case you are wondering like I was if that was the longest drive in college FB history, it wasn't, but it wasn't far off.

--- End quote ---

Great drive, and the final one too, 10 straight running plays for winning TD! 43 second half rushes to their 31 for the whole game.
And in fairness, I do want to point out:
Davis, Hosick, Wells, Mays = 4th string QB..

--- End quote ---

I don't think Wells is any string.  He was wearing street clothes as I understand.  My guess is he doesn't want to burn a year of eligibility, will red shirt this year, and transfer after this season.

After watching Mays, I feel good about the QB situation for years to come.

--- End quote ---

Wells still has a shoulder injury from the off season. I don't feel good about the QB situation, sorry. Need to see more than just handing the ball off.

--- End quote ---

Mays showed poise, and with only one exception he never fumbled a snap or hand-off, and was our best QB of the night:

PASSING   C-A   YDS   LG   TD   INT
Nathan Mays   3-6   25   11   0   1
Ricky Davis   2-7   3   4   0   1
Trent Hosick   0-1   0   0   0   1

Mays had a better night than UNI starter Bailey who went 3/10.

Yeah, I agree he didn't rack up passing yardage, but he did what he needed to get the job done.  I don't get the crazy INT, but overall I'm impressed.

If/when he plays during junk time this season, I hope he takes some shots downfield instead of just burning clock.  Not letting #12 pass last season has had a negative impact this season, IMO.

go guins:
I have no idea what games you guys are attending, but at the YSU games our QB play this year is terrible.  NONE OF THE 3 HAS DONE MUCH.  Saturday was all OL and D.  NONE of the 3 QBs did squat. (unless you count INT's)  UNI had more yards on INT RETURNS than we had in passing yards!!  The Mays story is a good story, and everybody, including me, wants him to be good, but you saw NOTHING from him in terms of QB play that would be encouraging.  One low and outside pass for a 1st down in the 22 play drive and some of you guys write like New England should trade Brady for his draft rights?
Truthfully if we play this Saturday like we did last Saturday, it could be 24-3 or something.  Remember, for all the drive and rushing effort, we were less than 4 yards a carry for the game, and 28 yards passing.  You won't beat S or N DSU without a QB.

FOOTBALLFEVER:
I agree Go Guins..The protection has been good and the receiver's have been getting open. When we make a good read were not accurate. If we continue to struggle like this in the passing game defense's will find creative ways to put a end to those long sustained drives

IAA Fan:
Good points both. Although I will say that a great deal of that QB play belongs on the oline. Granted they have been getting stacked, which is why we have been successful running out of the spread. Our oline (and game) is predicated on the run and not pass protection.

go guins:

--- Quote from: FOOTBALLFEVER on October 18, 2016, 10:46:45 AM ---I agree Go Guins..The protection has been good and the receiver's have been getting open. When we make a good read were not accurate. If we continue to struggle like this in the passing game defense's will find creative ways to put a end to those long sustained drives

--- End quote ---
They won't have to be too creative.  We only averaged 3.7 per rush against UNI and worse on pass plays, so you take a safety and put him in the box and shadow the QB as stop the read options and we're as good as toast.  Unless you fine a way to hit a TE up the seam a couple times and make them play straight up, they've got us. Something we have done about -0- all season.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version