YSU Penguin Athletics > YSU Penguin Athletics

Ricky & Roth On Rookery Radio

<< < (3/12) > >>

FOOTBALLFEVER:
Bo has had a running quarterback his entire coaching career. He wants desperately to have a quarterback that can throw on the run, be a strong pocket passer, and also make good decisions. Trent has shown the ability to do that with good accuracy out of the pocket on film. What he does in the pocket will be the big QUESTION MARK..very hard to find both on this level

Penguin Nation:
I missed the program this am, dammit.  I wish they would have podcasts available of it.

Well's shortcomings weren't conditioning or weight.  It was his lack of mobility, compensating for that by making desperate and risky throws into coverage, and being a 1-read QB.  Maybe he can improve the last two, but mobility just isn't in his tool kit.  If that's the direction the offense is going, then he's not a part of it.

We don't know enough to judge Davis's passing ability, because he was (inexplicably) never allowed to do it, and he directly said that on last week's show.

Frankly, I'm fired up about Hosick.  After he passed up offers from BYU and San Diego State, he explained it this way:

“I want to play for a coach who cares about winning as much as I do,” Hosick said. “You’d be surprised at how hard that is to actually find. A lot of people are just satisfied with going to bowl games. That’s not what I’m here for. The goal should be a national title.”

http://www.yumasun.com/sports/awc-qb-hosick-back-for-second-season/article_05cc18ea-e28a-11e4-bf77-6f01eacc72e6.html

The 2 QB system last year was begun out of desperation when the consequences of Well's lack of mobility was evident.  There was actually a Jambar article suggesting it, and the next week it was in place.  I don't think a two QB system will be considered unless Hosick fails to impress, and if there is a two QB system, and they are looking for mobility, then it would make sense it would be Hosick and Davis.  Wells is prolly too immobile to be switched to another position, so I'd make him a reserve QB and give him snaps during junk time.

penguinpower:

--- Quote from: Penguin Nation on March 02, 2016, 02:05:29 PM ---I missed the program this am, dammit.  I wish they would have podcasts available of it.

Well's shortcomings weren't conditioning or weight.  It was his lack of mobility, compensating for that by making desperate and risky throws into coverage, and being a 1-read QB.  Maybe he can improve the last two, but mobility just isn't in his tool kit.  If that's the direction the offense is going, then he's not a part of it.

We don't know enough to judge Davis's passing ability, because he was (inexplicably) never allowed to do it, and he directly said that on last week's show.

Frankly, I'm fired up about Hosick.  After he passed up offers from BYU and San Diego State, he explained it this way:

“I want to play for a coach who cares about winning as much as I do,” Hosick said. “You’d be surprised at how hard that is to actually find. A lot of people are just satisfied with going to bowl games. That’s not what I’m here for. The goal should be a national title.”

http://www.yumasun.com/sports/awc-qb-hosick-back-for-second-season/article_05cc18ea-e28a-11e4-bf77-6f01eacc72e6.html

The 2 QB system last year was begun out of desperation when the consequences of Well's lack of mobility was evident.  There was actually a Jambar article suggesting it, and the next week it was in place.  I don't think a two QB system will be considered unless Hosick fails to impress, and if there is a two QB system, and they are looking for mobility, then it would make sense it would be Hosick and Davis.  Wells is prolly too immobile to be switched to another position, so I'd make him a reserve QB and give him snaps during junk time.

--- End quote ---

I was done with him when he did the pussified slide short of the first down.  He should have leaned forward and taken the hit and gotten it at all costs.  how can he say that he didn't prepare well enough when we were a whisker away from being a national title contender?  He is the leader of the team on offense and this is what we get.  Ready to move on. 

Penguin Nation:

--- Quote from: penguinpower on March 02, 2016, 02:12:17 PM ---
--- Quote from: Penguin Nation on March 02, 2016, 02:05:29 PM ---I missed the program this am, dammit.  I wish they would have podcasts available of it.

--- End quote ---

I was done with him when he did the pussified slide short of the first down.  He should have leaned forward and taken the hit and gotten it at all costs.  how can he say that he didn't prepare well enough when we were a whisker away from being a national title contender?  He is the leader of the team on offense and this is what we get.  Ready to move on.

--- End quote ---

Agree.  If you don't want to take a hit, then maybe tennis or bowling would be choices more suited for him.  We needed full effort from everyone.  It was painful to watch.  If he wants to play FB, I think the best outcome would be a 1AAA school or D2.

FOOTBALLFEVER:
Montgomery never wanted Wells to run in the first place. If he were to go down with a injury then what? If your not used to being a running quarterback it's easy said then done. Wells was recruited to throw at YSU not run. I think he's a good enough runner to pick up yardage when needed and keep defenses honest. If you have a solid line, a strong running game (with one power back) and a strong group of receivers that can catch there is know need for a mobile QB. You could take more chances with your starter if you felt just as comfortable about the back-up starting. That hasn't been a luxury YSU has had as of late

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version