Author Topic: In Game Embarassment Thread  (Read 37785 times)

Offline go guins

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
Re: In Game Embarassment Thread
« Reply #45 on: September 14, 2015, 09:04:24 AM »
Because someone on this blog says no other coach talked to Monty after the game doesn't make it so.  Now all the sudden there is dissension in the locker room?  Because some blogger says it’s so? 
We played really solid last week and lost, poorly this week and won.  If there are “no moral victories” in a loss, then there are no “moral losses” in a victory.  These are kids, kids with human coaches.  Wells played poorly, but made the big plays at the most critical times.  The receivers dropped a ton of passes they should have caught, but caught the most important one and the critical time.  This is my team, and I have supported them LONG before JT showed up to coach, much less be the Pres!  I’ve supported them through thick and thin, and if we are going to beat them into oblivion for not winning by enough, then I think I need some time away from you guys.
Looking forward to the rest of the season.
Watching Penquins Football & Basketball since 1967!

Offline ysubigred

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: September 14, 2015, 09:12:12 AM »
Because someone on this blog says no other coach talked to Monty after the game doesn't make it so.  Now all the sudden there is dissension in the locker room?  Because some blogger says it’s so? 
We played really solid last week and lost, poorly this week and won.  If there are “no moral victories” in a loss, then there are no “moral losses” in a victory.  These are kids, kids with human coaches.  Wells played poorly, but made the big plays at the most critical times.  The receivers dropped a ton of passes they should have caught, but caught the most important one and the critical time.  This is my team, and I have supported them LONG before JT showed up to coach, much less be the Pres!  I’ve supported them through thick and thin, and if we are going to beat them into oblivion for not winning by enough, then I think I need some time away from you guys.

A true voice of reason ^^ Thank you +1000000 ^^

Offline Double ET

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: September 14, 2015, 09:53:29 AM »
I always support this team, for better for worst. It started when I watched my first game in my Freshman year @ YSU in 1966 at Rayen Stadium.
I remembered the good time when we beated Villanova on the playoff game with Wilkens nailimg the FG after Goode's  4th down catch.
I also remembered the bad time when we lost to Cincinnati at home in the last play. Cincy was stopped at the goal line with time running out and no timeout. But Pat Naduzzi was called for delay of game by sitting on their player (at least according to the ref). The Ref stopped the clock and Cicny scored on the last play to win the game.
I think the players were having trouble throwing and catching the ball in the rain last Saturday. This could be the result of having good weather in August and early September. Going forward, they might have to start practicing during the rain and snow (it's coming).
Go Penguins.

Offline go guins

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: September 14, 2015, 10:09:46 AM »
I always support this team, for better for worst. It started when I watched my first game in my Freshman year @ YSU in 1966 at Rayen Stadium.

I watched my first game as a freshman in the fall of 1967!  Our first quarter as YSU, (I believe you started on semesters as YU!)  Wish there was something nice to say about Rayen Stadium, oh wait, the seats were all close to the field!!  No nosebleed section at old Rayen Stadium! 
Did you go to the Jaws vs Staubach game at Rayen?

Offline Double ET

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: September 14, 2015, 11:09:37 AM »

I watched my first game as a freshman in the fall of 1967!  Our first quarter as YSU, (I believe you started on semesters as YU!)  Wish there was something nice to say about Rayen Stadium, oh wait, the seats were all close to the field!!  No nosebleed section at old Rayen Stadium! 
Did you go to the Jaws vs Staubach game at Rayen?

It is good to talk to another old timer. Yes, it was still the semester system. I believe we switched to Quarter system in either 67 or 68 when we became a State University.
I saw the Staubach game in the Rayen Stadium. However, i think the QB was Denny Kumbara (spelling) & not Jaws.. Both QBs had over 400+ yards passing that day.

I saw Jaws for the first time in Campbell (or Struther) Stadium. I remembered when Beede put him in as a running back, the other team screamed "option Pass". That play fooled no one...

Jaws replaced Denny in his Junior year. Go Penquins.

Offline DavedS

• King Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: September 14, 2015, 11:57:41 AM »
QB that game was indeed Denny Klembara--I believe years later he and Staubach had some type of contest against each other.I wasn't at the game but I remember that Ed O'Neill played in it.

Offline The YO Show

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: September 14, 2015, 06:29:11 PM »
Sadly, go guins many penguin fans dont feel the same way. I will be there on saturday, im just hoping the energy the fanbase has doesnt fizzle because of last saturday. I do foresee a drop off among the students though. Many left at halftime on saturday (as alot usually do to be fair), but I heard many complaining about the team.

Offline DavedS

• King Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: September 14, 2015, 06:39:50 PM »
Hopefully they will use the game as a wake-up call--they definitely have the talent to make the playoffs but every game is liable to be a battle.Pitt was the toughest team that YSU will face this year and RMU was likely the weakest.

Offline Double ET

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: September 14, 2015, 07:54:18 PM »
Hopefully they will use the game as a wake-up call--they definitely have the talent to make the playoffs but every game is liable to be a battle.Pitt was the toughest team that YSU will face this year and RMU was likely the weakest.

If it does not rain on Saturday, Wells will do a better job throwing the ball. He had trouble throwing in the rain. I watched him last Saturday and he locked on to the one receiver the whole time during the play. He had difficulty in finding other receivers. The DB's and Safeties were watching his eyes. As a result, the receiver was having trouble getting separations from the defenders.

Receivers should have caught some of the balls. However, many of his passes were high. He could not throw the ball to Stubbs as if he were Andrew Williams. Additional experience might help to solve solve the problems.
I will be there this Saturday. Last Saturday, by half time, all the people around me have left.

Offline go guins

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: September 15, 2015, 09:44:59 AM »
Sadly, go guins many penguin fans dont feel the same way. I will be there on saturday, im just hoping the energy the fanbase has doesnt fizzle because of last saturday. I do foresee a drop off among the students though. Many left at halftime on saturday (as alot usually do to be fair), but I heard many complaining about the team.
YO, this is not directed at you, but DAMN, we WON the game.  You have to play your worst game of the year sometime, and maybe we got ours out of the way and still got a W.  People leaving at the half were VERY WET and VERY COLD too!  That has to be taken into consideration.

Offline The YO Show

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: September 15, 2015, 12:23:26 PM »
Oh I fully agree. Im just telling you the vibe I got from the students. Many were cold too I'm sure. That being said, I was in the student section. I heard multiple groups grumble "I thought we were supposed to be good this year. We almost beat pitt." Before promptly leaving near the end of the 2nd quarter. Penguin fans can be a fickle fanbase (not directed at anybody on the forum)

Offline go guins

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: September 15, 2015, 03:04:20 PM »
Oh I fully agree. Im just telling you the vibe I got from the students. Many were cold too I'm sure. That being said, I was in the student section. I heard multiple groups grumble "I thought we were supposed to be good this year. We almost beat pitt." Before promptly leaving near the end of the 2nd quarter. Penguin fans can be a fickle fanbase (not directed at anybody on the forum)

I guess you can call students fans, but to me the word fan comes from fanatic and you have to make something of a commitment for me to consider you a fanatic.  Buy apparel, YSU tents, flags, season tickets, tailgate passes, Penguin Club, come hours early to the lots, etc.  How many on the blog go home and watch the tape delay?  How many students do that?  I'll go with most and almost none.  Kids will be back if there is nothing better to do.  We'll all be there sun or rain.  We're the fans!

Offline IAA Fan

• Administrator
  • Emperor Penguin
  • Bring Coke back to YSU!!
    • View Profile
    • ysupenguins.com
« Reply #57 on: September 15, 2015, 03:27:46 PM »
I thought attendance was amazing for the conditions ...just amazing. I walked in expecting to see a couple hundred standing in out of the rain. Well I did ...but there were many thousands already out in the seats. I am thinking that next week will be jammed.

Offline FOOTBALLFEVER

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: September 15, 2015, 05:01:30 PM »
I thought attendance was amazing for the conditions ...just amazing. I walked in expecting to see a couple hundred standing in out of the rain. Well I did ...but there were many thousands already out in the seats. I am thinking that next week will be jammed.
  Didn't expect that crowd either. I took in the game with my grandson for his first penguin game and i was really impressed with the new lighting and video scoreboard . It  made for a nice game day atmosphere and that was in miserable conditions...can't wait till its nice. Looks like we might get lucky and the rain should hold off untill later in the evening

Offline go guins

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: September 16, 2015, 09:37:35 AM »
I ditto your thought 100%.  Would have loved to see the turnout if weather like this Saturday!