Author Topic: Vindicator Story: _ Scalzo: Winning will make the crowds stay  (Read 12068 times)

Offline IAA Fan

• Administrator
  • Emperor Penguin
  • Bring Coke back to YSU!!
    • View Profile
    • ysupenguins.com
Vindicator Story: _ Scalzo: Winning will make the crowds stay
« on: October 11, 2013, 07:01:35 AM »
Scalzo: Winning will make the crowds stay

Saturday sets up a perfect storm for YSU, which endured a regular storm last week in Terre Haute and looked (mostly) like a legitimate playoff contender.
Source: Scalzo: Winning will make the crowds stay

Stories are brought to you by ysupenguins.com

Offline IAA Fan

• Administrator
  • Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
    • ysupenguins.com
Re: Vindicator Story: _ Scalzo: Winning will make the crowds stay
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2013, 09:24:51 AM »
Well Scalzo thinks if we win the next two game we are a play-off team, or at least a contender. Well, at this stage of the game we are already a contender. So what do we have to do to ensure playing after Thanksgiving? I am not sure we can be in the play-off unless we beat ILS, SD and WIU ...then 2 of 3 from UNI, NDSU and SDSU. Any thoughts?

Offline Dmorton

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2013, 10:45:13 AM »
I think the three bottom feeders and one of the big three does it!

Offline DavedS

• King Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2013, 11:04:43 AM »
Agree with Dmorton--if we knock off any of the big 3 we will be in.

Offline ysuguins4

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 11, 2013, 12:12:44 PM »
Guins are definitely in at 9-3.  I also believe they make it at 8-4 provided they are not blown out by the big dogs.  With 3 more at-large teams added this year and GSU and APSU being ineligible, this is the easiest it has ever been to make the playoffs.

Offline IAA Fan

• Administrator
  • Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
    • ysupenguins.com
« Reply #5 on: October 11, 2013, 12:13:40 PM »
What if SDSU loses to UNI? I do not feel at that point, our resume would be strong enough with only a win over the Jackrabbits. Honestly, UNI matches up much better against SDSU that NDSU did ...and NDSU won by 20. In any case, if the conference goes 4-deep ...I then feel that winning one of UNI, SDSU and NDSU will do it. Of course this assumes no other slip-ups along the way. Hess and Peterman are right ...every week is crucial.

Offline HappyPenguin

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 11, 2013, 01:20:06 PM »
Sportsnetwork does a projection every week once you get about half way into the season. They have us playing a home game vs. Wofford.

All pie-in-the-sky at this point I know but wouldn't that be great?

Offline Wick250

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 11, 2013, 02:07:47 PM »
With the expanded playoffs, you can etch in stone that the third place finishers in the CAA, Big Sky, and MVFC will all make the post-season.  That is a huge step in the right direction for us since Strollo had to fight hard to get SDSU in as our third team last season, despite the obvious strength of the league.  Right now we would be heavy favorites to finish at least third, even with losses to UNI and NDSU. 

Some simply are assuming a coronation for NDSU.  I want to see what happens when they play at Southern Illinois and at Indiana State on the last two weeks of October.  I don't expect them to lose, but let us see just how dominant their defense is against statistically the best offenses in the conference. 

I am also not surrendering our game at UNI.  Wolford has taken them to the wire three times.  Hang around and this time we might get a break at the end.  Heaven knows the football gods owe us several of those against Team Choke.

Offline HappyPenguin

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 11, 2013, 02:17:29 PM »
If the defense can improve against the pass like they have against the run I like our chances against anyone.

Look how much better we look on special teams from a couple years ago. Both in returns, kick distance and coverage. We win that battle every week. Big time improvements here.

Offline IAA Fan

• Administrator
  • Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
    • ysupenguins.com
« Reply #9 on: October 11, 2013, 02:27:31 PM »
If the defense can improve against the pazz like they have against the run I like our chances against anyone.

Look how much better we look on special teams from a couple years ago. Both in returns, kick distance and coverage. We win that battle every week. Big time improvements here.

Great point. I have Liste as POY right now ...NFL possibilities for certain. He has taken much of the pressure off of our defense, and allows coach Shane to make some nice play calls as well. Last week was the first line-drive he has kicked all season.

Offline penguinpower

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 12, 2013, 05:18:25 AM »
I would love to see us in the playoffs and given the strength of the conference and the weakness of the SoCon we should get in at 8-4.

I believe that UNI is the #2 team in the country and they are the only team that can take NDSU to task. They played NDSU tough and should have won that game. Different outcome on a neutral field. UNI has a team that is capable.

SDSU is not in the same class as UNi or NDSU and after physical games against Nebraska and NDSU they may have been exposed a little for lack of depth.  UNI will probably hammer SDSU like NDSU did. NDSU held SDSU to 125 yrds of offense, 9 first downs and -35 yards (yes that is negative 35 yards rushing) rushing for the entire game. Even for NDSU those are some heavy duty stats.  NDSU was not able to do that against UNI and to me that means that SDSU is just not as good as UNi.

SDSU will likely have another loss to UNI. That will mean they have losses to UNI, Nebraska, NDSU  and SIU. If our next two losses are only  to UNI and NDSU, that sets up a huge game with potential playoff ramifications when we play SDSU and SDSU will be backed into the corner. That game will be MVFC game of the weel if is shakes down that way.

ValleyTalk

« Reply #11 on: October 12, 2013, 09:03:59 AM »
I would love to see us in the playoffs and given the strength of the conference and the weakness of the SoCon we should get in at 8-4.

I believe that UNI is the #2 team in the country and they are the only team that can take NDSU to task. They played NDSU tough and should have won that game. Different outcome on a neutral field. UNI has a team that is capable.

SDSU is not in the same clazz as UNi or NDSU and after physical games against Nebraska and NDSU they may have been exposed a little for lack of depth.  UNI will probably hammer SDSU like NDSU did. NDSU held SDSU to 125 yrds of offense, 9 first downs and -35 yards (yes that is negative 35 yards rushing) rushing for the entire game. Even for NDSU those are some heavy duty stats.  NDSU was not able to do that against UNI and to me that means that SDSU is just not as good as UNi.

SDSU will likely have another loss to UNI. That will mean they have losses to UNI, Nebraska, NDSU  and SIU. If our next two losses are only  to UNI and NDSU, that sets up a huge game with potential playoff ramifications when we play SDSU and SDSU will be backed into the corner. That game will be MVFC game of the weel if is shakes down that way.
The games vs NDSU in Youngstown have all been close. We beat them when they were #2 back in 2008 and we blew a 29-28 lead in 2010 in the final minute and lost to them that year 35-29 I believe it was. Most NDSU fans acknowledge their toughest game left on their schedule is at the Ice Castle.

Hopefully we take care of business tonight and are no worse than 8-2 heading into that game. That has sellout written all over it if that is the case as Tressel is getting inducted into the YSU HOF that day.

Offline YsuPride

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 12, 2013, 09:31:31 AM »
2 of the 4 extra bids will go to the Pioneer and the NEC who now get automatic bids.  This leaves 2 at-large bids and we will not get in unless 9-3.  8-4 will not cut it. 

Offline ysuguins4

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 14, 2013, 12:53:42 PM »
2 of the 4 extra bids will go to the Pioneer and the NEC who now get automatic bids.  This leaves 2 at-large bids and we will not get in unless 9-3.  8-4 will not cut it.
That's incorrect.  When the playoff field went to 20 in 2010, they added 2 at-large berths, and they awarded the Big South and NEC auto-bids.  With the expansion to 24, the Pioneer was given an auto-bid, and the other 3 are at-large.

Offline ysufan0505

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 14, 2013, 02:15:59 PM »
I think 8-4 would be a close call. Gotta win 1 of the last 3 for sure.