Author Topic: That was ugly  (Read 13579 times)

Offline guinpen

• Global Moderator
  • Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
That was ugly
« on: October 20, 2012, 08:54:49 PM »
I sat there and watched the whole game and I cannot believe what I saw.

We are not that bad.

Players look lost, coaches looked even more lost. We get out coached second half every game. Wolf needs to take the blame and do some soul searching.
“Life is hard, it’s harder if you're stupid” - John Wayne

Offline peteonastick

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
Re: That was ugly
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2012, 08:56:39 PM »
Here are my thoughts - first of all - our fans suck!!!  The worst!!!  Second of all - our fans suck!!

THE DRIVE FOR 5

Offline ysufan0505

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2012, 09:13:26 PM »
This loss is on Kurt Hess and special teams. Defense actually played pretty good... Unbelievable

Offline pioneer9

• Rock Hopper Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2012, 09:29:58 PM »
Here are my thoughts - first of all - our fans suck!!!  The worst!!!  Second of all - our fans suck!!

Totally agree. Very poor display by our "fan base." The 15 SIU fans in the top section of the away stands were louder than our whole stadium... sad

Offline IAA Fan

• Administrator
  • Emperor Penguin
  • Bring Coke back to YSU!!
    • View Profile
    • ysupenguins.com
« Reply #4 on: October 20, 2012, 10:38:25 PM »
I sat there and watched the whole game and I cannot believe what I saw.

We are not that bad.

Players look lost, coaches looked even more lost. We get out coached second half every game. Wolf needs to take the blame and do some soul searching.

Then do some job searching.

Offline Wick250

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 20, 2012, 11:25:56 PM »
During the fifteen seasons that he coached our team, how many times did Jim Tressel fail to respond to the half-time adjustments of his counterpart?  I am not talking about getting overwhelmed by superior talent during our few lean years.  Nor am I talking about losing a close game when our opponent just made some plays.  My guess would be, well....zero.

Anybody who fails at half-time adjustments is incapable of being a successful head coach.  Wolford lacks that skill, and he will never be a successful head coach, here or anywhere else.  Darn shame.  But it is what it is.

Offline pennyguin1

• Royal Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 21, 2012, 01:15:13 AM »
Peteonastick-The offense didn't give us to cheer about the second half.

Offline YSUGO

• Global Moderator
  • Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 21, 2012, 08:31:47 AM »
The last few weeks have been horrific. We have only ourselves to blame.  The league has caught up to our offense.  We need to put some new wrinkles to keep the defenses guessing.  Is Hess hurt? Our O line has been pathetic especially in the send half.  On D it seems that they are afraid to TRUST their instincts.  There a few times they could have jumped a few routes but just made the tackle instead.  I think they are afraid to make mistakes because of the philosphy of the coaching staff, that nobodys job is safe. No fans, Youngstown should be ashamed of themselves this is a hardnosed blue collar area and a little wind and clouds kept everybody away...unbelievable.
A Penguin for life!!!

Offline guinsequalswins

• Rock Hopper Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 21, 2012, 09:06:18 AM »
Its not going to be easy (just like taking in yesterdays debacle) but here it goes. I'm not sure who is to blame. Is it the coaches that obviously the past three games and more specifically since the "turning point" of the entire season happened, and that was when Marcus Williams of NDSU stepped in front of a Kurt Hess pass to the end zone and returned it 98yds for a touchdown. Its amazing what ONE PLAY does to not just someone but an entire team and not to mention obviously the community.

I can come on here and point out certain plays that were made or not made and/or also point out things like why arent we utilizing Will Shaw or the plethora of RB's at our disposal but Im sure we've heard it enough. The saddest thing that I've seen is not the way these kids have faced adversity but its been actually how the coaches and fan base (not all of the fans but many) have dealt with it. If I have a family member thats a player on the current team I'm kinda disheartened to see how "his coaches" have dealt with adversity and the examples they're setting for these kids. I'm not from Youngstown but from the Midwest and know damn well the work ethic that is instilled in many of the people in this city and its history. I understand the people's frustration but at the end of the day these "kids" need every bit of our support and at the end of the day are representing the community.

I read someone say that our defense finally played well enough to win and I'd have to disagree with that assessment but the way they've been playing they did do a little bit better but no where near for us to be successful moving forward. To summarize it there needs to be changes across the board and here are a few I'd suggest.

First off the Offensive: Hess actually did look like he had a concussion (plus the way he's played since that INT in the NDSU game he needs some time off) if I had to guess and Angle should've been put in and probably named the starter of next weeks game. Also utilize all the talent at our disposal from the RB's to last I checked we have a pretty damn good TE named Will Shaw and all the young WR's that have shown are pretty good if you only can get them the ball. Use passes like swings, slants, and screens to give the defense something to think about when they're rushing and/or blitzing.

Defensively our Dline actually played a great game with great effort. Linebackers on the other hand IMO both starters #3 and #6 need to be replaced because of their inability in pass coverage and to be honest they havent been that great against the run to boot. The cornerbacks need to stop jumping in celebration after a pass deflection! Last I checked thats what youre here for to make plays and not to make a fool of yourself after every play! Safeties actually played well in comparison to their last few outings.

Special Teams have been a disaster and that has to solely be on the ST coach. If you can bear to watch a replay of the game (Im not sure itd be good for your health) there are players out there on the field that seem as if they are in a daze and by the end of the game I felt some of the coaches were as well. Specifically the one play that sticks out in my mind that summarizes YSU in its current state is the blocked punt. On that play #6 is supposed to be blocking but doesn't touch a soul and lo and behold a blocked punt! Instead of benching his ass or chewing him out no one says a word and maybe did but wasn't loud enough for any of us to hear. Its obvious that some players are being favored for whatever reason over others and that needs to stop ASAP because that alone is an easy way of losing your players. Put guys that are gonna lay it all out there and represent YSU in a positive manner. Its football and just like life when you get knocked down you need to get the f$%^ back up and it seems that there is no one (with authority) in that locker room with that mentality. Coach Wolford should look straight in the mirror and basically answer everyone's question of "WHO IS TO BLAME"!?!?       

« Last Edit: October 21, 2012, 12:35:59 PM by IAA Fan »

Offline HLecter

• Emperor Penguin
  • I HATE MIAMI.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 21, 2012, 05:52:57 PM »
The last few weeks have been horrific. We have only ourselves to blame.  The league has caught up to our offense.  We need to put some new wrinkles to keep the defenses guessing.  Is Hess hurt? Our O line has been pathetic especially in the send half.  On D it seems that they are afraid to TRUST their instincts.  There a few times they could have jumped a few routes but just made the tackle instead.  I think they are afraid to make mistakes because of the philosphy of the coaching staff, that nobodys job is safe. No fans, Youngstown should be ashamed of themselves this is a hardnosed blue collar area and a little wind and clouds kept everybody away...unbelievable.

No GO---This WAS  a hardnosed blue collar area-----No more.  That ended when the children of the hippies grew up and had kids of their own.  The whole culture of America is screwed up.
I HATE MIAMI.  WATERBOARDING IS NOT TORTURE.  ABORTION IS.

I missed a four-footer for par the other day--THAT DAMN BUSH!

Offline Pizza

• King Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 21, 2012, 06:46:20 PM »

No GO---This WAS  a hardnosed blue collar area-----No more.  That ended when the children of the hippies grew up and had kids of their own.  The whole culture of America is screwed up.

TRUTH....!!!

HLecter.....my reply PM didn't work. I tried. But your post here, is the very answer to your question of a few days ago. Hope this helps.

Offline Pizza

• King Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 21, 2012, 06:50:26 PM »
I had a parent of a 7th grader ask me to help him make his child "tougher". I told him that "that ship has already sailed"!

If you put them in "Timeout" for the first 10 years, it's over. So we get what we get.

SOFTNESS. (Waiting for the government to take care of them for whole lives).

Offline DiscMan

• Rock Hopper Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 21, 2012, 06:56:43 PM »
How did this topic turn into a political stance on the "47%"  that's part of whats wrong with that town, people are waiting for YSU football to give them something to believe in??  IS this just a microcosm of why the country has fallen into the crapper and why illegals take "all them good jobs"  Really?!  its a game, a football game.  And we need to find players who can play the game and coaches that can coach it.  Period.  Blue collar, white collar, red collar, pink collar, who cares.  If you understand X's and O's get em in the game.

Offline guinpen

• Global Moderator
  • Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 21, 2012, 07:05:08 PM »
I think that the defense played good enough to win.

Wolf is good at recruiting but he still needs to improve his game day coaching skills. Step one is to realize his weaknesses so he can work on them.
“Life is hard, it’s harder if you're stupid” - John Wayne

Offline IAA Fan

• Administrator
  • Emperor Penguin
  • Bring Coke back to YSU!!
    • View Profile
    • ysupenguins.com
« Reply #14 on: October 21, 2012, 07:58:23 PM »
I think that the defense played good enough to win.

Wolf is good at recruiting but he still needs to improve his game day coaching skills. Step one is to realize his weaknesses so he can work on them.

One problem with that guinpen ...he is the head coach and NEVER should have been hired without these skills. I also have very serious doubts about his recruiting skills. He recruits well for a track team, but this is football.