Author Topic: Northern Iowa Week  (Read 36520 times)

Offline KentStGuin15

• Royal Penguin
    • View Profile
Northern Iowa Week
« on: September 15, 2012, 07:21:27 PM »
http://www.panthernation.com/forumdisplay.php?f=7

Football message board, Be polite if you join folks

gonna be a Huge game, UNI needs this win pretty bad otherwise they could be 1-3 and 1 game into confrence play, they really cant afford a loss next week if they want to make the playoffs, meanwhile YSU hasnt beaten them since 1998 IIRC but last year if they had a 6'2 RB insted of 6'3 the story might be a little bit diffrent

hopefully we see the 2nd half D for all 60 minutes next week

Offline KilrpengWin

• Humboldt Penguin
    • View Profile
Re: Northern Iowa Week
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2012, 09:19:46 PM »
The panthers are gonna be lickin their chops after they see the film of this game! The only reason they lost to Iowa was they were lookin ahead to YSU  ;D I see too many similarities between this  defensive backfield, and the ones of the last couple of years. Any half decent QB can pick it apart. And before you mention it? No! Pitt doesn't have one. Seriously, Albany is a better team than many gave them credit for. It really pains me to say it, but they beat them selves more than the pens did.

Offline KentStGuin15

• Royal Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2012, 09:35:21 PM »
The panthers are gonna be lickin their chops after they see the film of this game! The only reason they lost to Iowa was they were lookin ahead to YSU  ;D I see too many similarities between this  defensive backfield, and the ones of the last couple of years. Any half decent QB can pick it apart. And before you mention it? No! Pitt doesn't have one. Seriously, Albany is a better team than many gave them credit for. It really pains me to say it, but they beat them selves more than the pens did.

i smell a troll attempt from a Albany fan. or UNI, either way 100% guarentee this guys not a YSU fan

Offline GoGuins

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2012, 09:52:35 PM »
http://www.panthernation.com/forumdisplay.php?f=7

Football message board, Be polite if you join folks

gonna be a Huge game, UNI needs this win pretty bad otherwise they could be 1-3 and 1 game into confrence play, they really cant afford a loss next week if they want to make the playoffs, meanwhile YSU hasnt beaten them since 1998 IIRC but last year if they had a 6'2 RB insted of 6'3 the story might be a little bit diffrent

hopefully we see the 2nd half D for all 60 minutes next week

IIRC YSU last beat UNI in 2000 28-24 at the Ice Castle.  They also beat UNI at the UNI Dome in 1999

EDIT-  I was correct http://ysupenguins.com/football/historyfootball.pdf

YSU is 6-20 all time vs UNI
« Last Edit: September 15, 2012, 10:08:02 PM by GoGuins »

Offline KilrpengWin

• Humboldt Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2012, 10:00:15 PM »

i smell a troll attempt from a Albany fan. or UNI, either way 100% guarentee this guys not a YSU fan
I bleed red  just like most other ysu fans. I just don't wear rose colored glasses to every game! Just what proof do you need to convince you that I am a YSU fan?  Blind obedience to your posts won't do it. and by the way, you spelled guarantee wrong

Offline ysufan0505

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 15, 2012, 10:08:41 PM »
#8 needs a lesson on how to play safety!!!! Ths isn't D3 high school football anymore. Can't have mistakes in games coming up like we had today. Very sloppy

Offline Wick250

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 15, 2012, 11:31:53 PM »
The biggest problem on our football team is the complete lack of a pass rush from the front four.  The Albany quarterback was real comfortable back there for most of the game.  I am also displeased with the play of our secondary, but no secondary can lock down receivers beyond a certain time frame.  I saw little or no blitzing today, but we better start to do that next week....a lot.  Northern Iowa also has an inexperienced quarterback, but he has three times the talent of the kid from Albany.  Let him get comfortable and it will be a very miserable night.

Offline DavedS

• King Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 15, 2012, 11:51:56 PM »
I don't underestimate UNI but Iowa has a terrible team this year--Albany is a good team(no surprise to me) and Pitt is a better team than many give them credit for--today they beat #13 VaTech 35-17.

Offline guinpen

• Global Moderator
  • Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 16, 2012, 03:06:53 AM »
The biggest problem on our football team is the complete lack of a pass rush from the front four.  The Albany quarterback was real comfortable back there for most of the game.  I am also displeased with the play of our secondary, but no secondary can lock down receivers beyond a certain time frame.  I saw little or no blitzing today, but we better start to do that next week....a lot.  Northern Iowa also has an inexperienced quarterback, but he has three times the talent of the kid from Albany.  Let him get comfortable and it will be a very miserable night.

Lack of a pass rush was a problem and also thought that more blitzing was in order.
“Life is hard, it’s harder if you're stupid” - John Wayne

Offline KentStGuin15

• Royal Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 16, 2012, 04:08:01 AM »

I bleed red  just like most other ysu fans. I just don't wear rose colored glasses to every game! Just what proof do you need to convince you that I am a YSU fan?  Blind obedience to your posts won't do it. and by the way, you spelled guarantee wrong

then im not sure what UNI will be licking their chops for, they are 1-2, They dont look very good, they've lost to 2 very bad teams already i mean not only did UNI almot beat Wisconsin but Utah St took them to the wire and Oregon St who was very bad last year DID beat them. YSU is probably 3-0 with UNI schedule.

If anything YSU should be licking their chops vs UNI, Who has given up 817 Yards combined vs Iowa and Wisconsin

Offline YsuPride

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 16, 2012, 08:36:11 AM »
UNI is very good.  They scored 38 points combined in those games vs. big 10.  Should have beat Wisconsin.   They have our number and will be ready to play us.  Our defense will need a much better performance especially when it comes to the pass.  Looks like UNI is doing more passing than running so look for them to try to burn our secondary.  YSU needs a few things to go our way:

1.  Huge crowd with at least 20k in the stands all standing and screaming all game.  The crowd needs to be the loudest it has ever been.  The media and Ath. dept needs to hype this game starting Today.

2. Offensive balance and no stupid play calling.  Keep your assignment and stick to the plan. Control the clock to keep the ball out of UNI's hands and away from picking apart our secondary.

3. Pressure on the QB to help out  the DB's.  We need  to blitz more.

4. Special teams need to be solid and do not allow big returns. 

Go Guins and beat UNI!

Offline penguinpower

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 16, 2012, 08:47:55 AM »
UNI is very good.  They scored 38 points combined in those games vs. big 10.  Should have beat Wisconsin.   They have our number and will be ready to play us.  Our defense will need a much better performance especially when it comes to the pass.  Looks like UNI is doing more passing than running so look for them to try to burn our secondary.  YSU needs a few things to go our way:

1.  Huge crowd with at least 20k in the stands all standing and screaming all game.  The crowd needs to be the loudest it has ever been.  The media and Ath. dept needs to hype this game starting Today.

2. Offensive balance and no stupid play calling.  Keep your assignment and stick to the plan. Control the clock to keep the ball out of UNI's hands and away from picking apart our secondary.

Go Guins and beat UNI!

I agree, agree agree.  Don't listen to the village idiot that make his points through generalities and believes that we have been game planning the run so the defensive backfield gets a pass.  They will target are safety's and try what Albany did, but with better athletes and more depth.  If they don't get it together here, we will not contend for a title.
« Last Edit: September 16, 2012, 08:50:20 AM by penguinpower »

Offline KentStGuin15

• Royal Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 16, 2012, 09:16:53 AM »

Go Guins and beat UNI!
only thing i disagree with is Who cares if they scored 38? thats 19 PPG vs a god awful Wisky team who's what 10 points away from being 0-3?

Offline IAA Fan

• Administrator
  • Emperor Penguin
  • Bring Coke back to YSU!!
    • View Profile
    • ysupenguins.com
« Reply #13 on: September 16, 2012, 09:25:50 AM »
Great comments. We have a huge three-game stretch. Not to mention that SIU & SDSU had huge wins yesterday. It is unlikely that we can go unblemished in 2012 (especially after yesterday). However, of these next three games (all top-10 teams) ...this is the only home game & best chance at a win.

The stands need to be packed, although Muranski and Hannon were saying that only 2,400 tickets remained (maybe it was 4,200). Those will be gone Monday with student sales. We are asking this team to show up ...we need to do the same!!

Offline KentStGuin15

• Royal Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 16, 2012, 09:48:16 AM »
I see nobody wants to touch this question with a 10 foot pole

how much better was  the D supposed to play in the 2nd half yesterday? the QB was 9/21, the offense scored 0 Points (ST got 3) and all year long the D has allowed a grand total of TEN Points in the second half, theres no coach in the history of football at any level that would turn that preformance down.