Author Topic: Northern Iowa Week  (Read 36718 times)

Offline robmat2571

• Humboldt Penguin
    • View Profile
Re: Northern Iowa Week
« Reply #30 on: September 17, 2012, 12:03:38 PM »
I'm actually encouraged by what I am seeing at the games from the crowd.  I had been away from YSU footbal for almost 10 years.  Last season, my wife and I drove up from Pittsburgh for a game and I was shocked at how empty the stadium was:(  This season, my wife and I have gone to all three games so far.  The crowds are better this year for those NC games than last year, IMO.  Also, I agree that the fans should be louder and get more involved.  Once we get everyone "packed in" I think you will see a change in the atmosphere and involvement.  Two more points:  #1- we brought our two daughters (ages 5 and 3) to the game and although they didn't watch very much, they loved singing the fight song, the bands, and all of the people.  #2- after the game, we went to Inner Circle in Poland.  We sat right beside DJ Main (#77) and his family.  I witnessed DJ represent our University in the BEST possible way.  About 1/2 dozen young kids approached him and he was GREAT with them.  He asked them if they were at the game... asked them what they thought... and asked them to come back next week... thanked them for their support... took a photo with them... way cool stuff.  I don't know anything about DJ at all but... my first impression is AWESOME.  I look forward to watching the OL push around some UNI DE's.  #lovingYSUfootball2012

Offline Wick250

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: September 17, 2012, 01:07:49 PM »
Reports indicate that Northern Iowa sustained serious injuries to two starting linebackers on Saturday.  That cannot hurt our chances.  As YSUGO suggested, they probably intended to move up their safeties and force us to throw.  Now they might be absolutely forced to take that course in order to support their second string linebackers.  We should enjoy one-on-one coverage for our receivers all over the field.

Offline HappyPenguin

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: September 17, 2012, 01:46:26 PM »
Reports indicate that Northern Iowa sustained serious injuries to two starting linebackers on Saturday.  That cannot hurt our chances.  As YSUGO suggested, they probably intended to move up their safeties and force us to throw.  Now they might be absolutely forced to take that course in order to support their second string linebackers.  We should enjoy one-on-one coverage for our receivers all over the field.

The money games do come with that price. Can't say I feel bad for them.

Why shouldn't they play 2 money games? They are still #8 in the sportnetwork poll despite not having a D1 win yet.

Offline ysubigred

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: September 17, 2012, 01:48:44 PM »

See below, but it looks like our best chance for a "W" in this game is a heavy dose of #25 and 35 and to keep their offense off the field since they can pass the ball well.

UNIfansince1983; I have questions for the YSU fans.

What is your running back like? Is he a big bruiser or a quick shifty guy? We had a lot of trouble this past weekend stopping Iowa's fullback who was just a straight ahead downhill runner. Our defensive backs are very good and experienced. They both cover and support the run fairly well. My concern is they got wore down by having to tackle the running back so often against Iowa. This is a key to me. It all depends on how YSU runs the ball. If the running back is getting tackled by the DBs all afternoon we are in trouble.

I would also like to know what you think the strength of your defense is? We have really struggled to run the football this year. However, our quarterback has looked very very good. We have a good set of receivers for him to throw to as well. Our running backs are very talented, but we have struggled to get them going running the football.

This is a very intriguing match up and I am very worried about it. I already can't wait till Saturday! Go Panthers!

Offline OleYSUfan

• King Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: September 17, 2012, 04:18:08 PM »
THIS WILL BE A GREAT GAME. We need 20,000 fans there!

We need to catch No. Iowa like Albany caught us - flat footed. UNI has excellent talent and is well coached. They playing 2 money games is a good move; it gives valuable resources to the athletic dept and will boost their oppurtunties for future prime football recruits.  All good recruits wants a shot at FBS teams!

Momentum will be a big factor in this game! The 12th man (fan support will be essential! I believe our offense will improve over last week, but I am sceptical about our pass defense and our defensive line pressure on UNI's passing game.

All in all, YSU should be able to finally win one from UNI. Go Penguins :)

YSU  38  UNI 34

Offline peteonastick

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: September 17, 2012, 06:00:47 PM »
I also read on one of their boards that they had several key injuries in the last game.  Not sure of status but who knows...also...UNI feels they can play two money games...have two losses and still run the table in the MVFC and make the playoffs...pretty much letting you know how they feel about the rest of the conference.   That is the attitude they have...we need to step it up big time this week...if you are not going to cheer...stand up and yell...then stay home..Like I said...rather have 10,000 crazies than 20,000 people who won't get up for the Guins.  People look at us like we are crazy or something when we are cheering....can't figure it out...I think it is geriatric crowd and they are waiting for the mills to open up again???

GO GUINS
THE DRIVE FOR 5

Offline penguinpower

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: September 17, 2012, 06:07:43 PM »
I also read that and I also read that they are really not injured too badly and that they will play.  This is a coaching charade.

Offline ysufan0505

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: September 17, 2012, 09:22:45 PM »
Joe scalzo tweeted 12,000 tickets are sold as of Monday

Offline pioneer9

• Rock Hopper Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: September 18, 2012, 12:22:26 AM »
Keys to a YSU victory:

(1) Guins have to be able to rely on the pass – Emphasis on “rely.”  Now that doesn’t mean that they have to “lean” on the pass.  As an offense, YSU has proven it has a great group of backs that can move the football consistently. Against Albany, the Penguins came out strong running the football, but showed Albany some of their weaknesses in the passing game early… a couple dropped passes… a few overthrown balls.  So what did Albany do the second half?  They began to really attack the ground game.  In fact, in YSU’s final scoring drive of the game, they forced Hess to have to beat them through the air.  And as great and as efficient a quarterback he can be (as proven by the ultimate outcome of last Saturday’s game), there are still some accuracy issues that have come up, especially in pressure situations.  UNI will make YSU throw.  If Hess comes to play and makes some confident (yet smart) throws early, playcalling for the offense will burst wide-open and I would expect to see a fun game on Saturday.

(2) Gotta fight hard in the trenches – the line for UNI is BIG.  And that’s to be expected as this is the case just about every other year we’ve played them.  Especially on the d-line, YSU has to get creative (didn’t show much of this against Albany) in order to pressure and disrupt the QB.  The Panther’s signal-caller, Kollmorgen, is young and inexperienced, but has proven to be incredibly efficient through a tough 3-game stretch to start the season.  If we don’t get in his face, or at least give him some reason to get the ball off in a timely fashion, he has the ability to pick us apart, especially if we can expect to see the same holes in our secondary  that we saw this past weekend.  If pressured consistently, however, I expect to see his inexperience begin to show itself.  Inexperience leads to mistakes.  Mistakes lead to interceptions.  And in a game like this an interception could mean the difference between an L or a W.

(3) 12th Man – I suppose this is a little redundant, as most of the posts here have been discussing this issue, but it couldn’t be more true. Youngstown has to make its presence known at Stambaugh.  Alas, we are a Jeckyl and Hyde fanbase.  I remember the not too distant past when a sell-out crowd overflowed the stands for a playoff game against a trash-talking James Madison team… and screamed their heads off the whole time.  In fact, I had a mom behind us almost tear my friends head off hugging him when Mason scored the go-ahead TD. I’ve also seen in the not too distant past a crowd of what couldn’t have been more than 5000 against a Missouri State team in a close game (granted the season as a whole was not the best) and I would have sworn I was sitting off the 6th green at the Masters.  I’ve never heard a crowd so quiet…  at any level of football!  A lot of what I previously stated talks about which “Penguins team will show up.”  An equally important question is what Penguin crowd will show up. Hopefully we will not disappoint… because I would really like to start calling Stambaugh the “Ice Castle” again!

Go Penguins!

Offline cb4444

• Rock Hopper Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: September 18, 2012, 01:58:06 AM »
Anyone know if Dale Peterman's injury that occurred during the onside kick is anything of a significant magnitude for this game?

Offline HappyPenguin

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: September 18, 2012, 08:48:53 AM »
Anyone know if Dale Peterman's injury that occurred during the onside kick is anything of a significant magnitude for this game?

The game notes are up. For what it's worth both Peterman and Disher are listed as starters, so maybe they are OK.

Offline ysufan0505

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: September 18, 2012, 05:06:24 PM »
Wolf said Peterman is day to day after his injury Saturday. I expect him to be out there though. He also said Quinones and DeCracker are healthy and ready to go which is great news. Besides Peterman, Wolf said everybody is healthy and ready to go for Saturday

Offline ysuindy

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: September 18, 2012, 05:39:35 PM »
Today's article from the Waterloo Cedar Falls Courier

CEDAR FALLS, Iowa — Measuring Mark Farley’s level of concern requires just two numbers: 1-2.

One win, two losses. That’s the record for Northern Iowa’s football team as it begins Missouri Valley Football Conference play Saturday at fourth-ranked Youngstown State.

Farley isn’t surprised to be there, given that the Panthers played Wisconsin and Iowa in the non-conference portion of the season. He’s also not thrilled about their record.

“We’re 1-2 — that’s what I’m concerned about,” the UNI coach said Monday. “We’re 1-2 and we’re going to Youngstown.

“Yeah, our backs are against the wall, no question about it. I knew that coming into the season.”

Farley also made it clear. They may be a step below .500, but the Panthers will not settle for anything less that success.

Farley said, “This is our schedule, our team. We’re gonna line up and find a way.

“That’s our purpose this week — find a way.

“We’re gonna have to make some adjustments, no question, with the injuries we took and also the way (the Penguins) are playing. Youngstown is playing very, very well right now and they’re very confident and getting to play at home.”

While the Penguins (3-0) are on the rise, UNI is dealing with some physical issues.

Monday, Farley didn’t offer much new information on his wounded players. Linebackers Jordan Gacke and Zach Cutkomp are dealing with knee injuries. A third linebacker, Max Busher, has a bad ankle. Another Panther who might have provided depth at that spot, true freshman Nate Shaw, hasn’t practiced since fall camp because of a concussion.

Sticking to his theme of the day, though, Farley said he’ll deal with adjusting his lineup.

“It’s not our first rodeo,” he said, smiling. “We’ve been hurt before. We’ll figure something out. We’ll find a way. I’ve been messing with it for a couple of days now, waiting to see what (the injury) outcome was.

“We’ve got good players. We’ve just gotta figure out a way to get the right ones on the field at the same time.”

WHO ARE YOU? Asked to describe what kind of team he had through three games, Farley boiled it down to three words.

“An inconsistent one,” he said

According to Farley the Panthers were average offensively while losing at Wisconsin and played well on defense. In the 27-16 defeat to Iowa, UNI did a good job with the football, but dipped to average defensively.

“We played two very good teams,” he said. “Hopefully, we’ll be a better team for it, lining up against Youngstown.”

DISTANT REPLAY - Asked if he would accept a future schedule with two teams from a BSC-level conference, Farley pointed to the financial issues that led to the Badgers joining the Hawkeyes as 2012 opponents.

“That’s always a big part of it, and we know it,” said Farley. “Really, my feeling right now is we’ll play whoever we’re asked to play.”

The UNI coach also said he hoped the Panthers could split those games this season.

“I really thought we had a 50-50 chance at getting one or the other,” he said. “I think we played that way. We came down to the wire for the most part in both games, but it didn’t fall in our direction. So we’ve got to find a way to do a great job within our league.”

TOUTING TYLER - UNI junior Tyler Sievertsen, with 22 field goals in 24 career tries, is the active leader in 3-point percentage among FCS placekickers.

Sievertsen nailed a career-best 49-yarder Saturday, one of three he made at Kinnick Stadium.

“Tyler’s been consistent his whole career,” said Farley. “He’s made himself into that. You never would have known that as he came through as a freshman. All the credit goes to him for what he made himself into.’

http://wcfcourier.com/sports/college/uni/football/uni---but-far-from-through/article_40396af8-0152-11e2-9cec-0019bb2963f4.html

And yesterday's

CEDAR FALLS, Iowa --- Mark Farley likes what he’s seen through the first three weeks of Northern Iowa’s football season.

Farley wants to see that team again. He just isn’t certain that he will.

The nonconference portion of the schedule is over. UNI battled back and had a chance to upset Wisconsin before falling, 26-21. The Panthers led Iowa early and stayed close in the second half before the Hawkeyes secured a 27-16 win Saturday at Kinnick Stadium.

In between the Big Ten wars, UNI blew out Division II Central State.

Now comes the Missouri Valley Football Conference games, and life doesn’t get any easier for the Panthers. They go to Youngstown State next Saturday. UNI’s beaten the Penguins 11 straight times, but this YSU team knocked off Pittsburgh to begin its season.

“That’s a huge game for Youngstown as it is for us,” said Farley.

After that, the Panthers host defending FCS and MVFC champion North Daktota State in the UNI-Dome.

That’s ahead. As he looked back on UNI’s effort against Wisconsin and Iowa, Farley showed mixed emotions.

“I’m pleased with our team and what they had to do in two of the last three weeks,” said the UNI coach.

Farley added that the challenge ahead is getting the Panthers healthy physically and motivated emotionally for the MVFC after going at a high level against the Big Ten programs.

“I think we’re better for it, leaving here” he said. “But, my biggest concern right now is getting them all back for next week. How do we get to that level of play next week? We’ve been to the intensity level twice now. We’ve gotta go back for two more weeks now.

“So how we get this team back will be very important. That will be the biggest test of this team now.”

The training room also figures to be very, very important in the upcoming days.

UNI lost at least two players to injuries. Zach Cutkomp, who had made the transition from running back to linebacker, went down with a leg injury. He had found a role in the Panthers’ nickel package.

Jordan Gacke, the man who became the top linebacker while replacing L.J. Fort in the middle, actually came off the field twice with injuries. He returned, then left again late in the game.

“I’ve just got an idea of our football team, but our football team will change a little bit next week,” said Farley. “We lost a couple of guys today. We’ll see what we come up with next week for Youngstown.”

Defensively, UNI will try to rebound after Iowa muscled its way to 201 yards rushing and 429 in total offense. The Hawkeyes also burned the Panther secondary with passes over the middle to Kevonte Martin-Manley and sideline routes with Keenan Davis late. And quarterback James Vandenberg enjoyed time to throw without being sacked.

On the offensive side, UNI couldn’t maintain the pace after scoring 13 first-half points. But David Johnson enjoyed his biggest game of the season with 154 total yards. Sawyer Kollmorgen threw his first interception of 2012, and still put 245 passing yards in the book. Young receivers Brett LeMaster and Chad Owens continue to be productive.

Kollmorgen said two tough, rugged losses will have value as UNI prepares for Valley Football.

“We’ve gotta get healthy,” he said. “But playing in a place like Kinnick and Camp Randall is gonna be huge for us when we go to Youngstown and then play North Dakota State at home.

“Those are gonna be two excellent teams, but I think we’ve already played two excellent teams along with Central State. I think we’ll be prepared. We’ve gotta keep the train rolling and just keep going and figure out what we need to do to win.”

NOTES: Ryan Bingaman, who was a starter in the offensive line at Wisconsin, played tight end Saturday against Iowa. ....Punter Kyle Bernard might be on the way to his best season as a Panther. He entered Saturday’s game averaging a career-high 44.7 yards per kick. Then he punted three times for a 58.3 average, including a 71-yarder that fell four yards short of his 75-yard boot a year ago.

http://wcfcourier.com/sports/college/uni/football/panthers-lick-wounds-prepare-for-youngstown-st/article_6636b26c-005b-11e2-9ad9-001a4bcf887a.html

Offline ysuguins4

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: September 19, 2012, 11:53:19 AM »
Guins 35-27

Offline HappyPenguin

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: September 19, 2012, 01:36:07 PM »