Author Topic: SDSU Week  (Read 39346 times)

Offline Penguin Nation

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
Re: SDSU Week
« Reply #30 on: October 19, 2016, 04:43:51 PM »
YSU 3.5 point dogs. over/under 56.  If 56 points are scored, then we are getting pummeled.  Massey gives us a 43% chance of winning and predicts a score of 31-28.  I am bullish on the Penguins and say YSU 24-17.

To be seeded, we need to beat an -DSU, but we could lose both (and one more) and get in the playoffs.  Win at SDSU, and there is no reason to not think we are going to Frisco. 
"These two cats that we played against from Youngstown State were as good of pass rushers as I've seen"

--WVU Head Coach Dana Holgorsen

Offline go guins

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: October 19, 2016, 04:56:35 PM »
YSU 3.5 point dogs. over/under 56.  If 56 points are scored, then we are getting pummeled.  Massey gives us a 43% chance of winning and predicts a score of 31-28.  I am bullish on the Penguins and say YSU 24-17.

To be seeded, we need to beat an -DSU, but we could lose both (and one more) and get in the playoffs.  Win at SDSU, and there is no reason to not think we are going to Frisco.
Agreed 56 is way to many.  We can't score more than 24 if their D didn't return at halftime, so that would be 32-24  I simply don't see our D giving up 32 to a 1AA team, no way, no how (well, 2 pick 6's might do it)
I'm more like 10-24 SDSU.  I just don't see enough YSU O to keep the D off the field.  We aren't getting any 20 running play drives against SDSU.  If Davis isn't 100% and I don't think he is, then it isn't going to be pretty.
Watching Penquins Football & Basketball since 1967!

Offline ytownchief22

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: October 19, 2016, 07:23:29 PM »
Davis will be the man this week.

Offline FOOTBALLFEVER

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: October 19, 2016, 07:40:19 PM »
That's good to hear!! I have a feeling we are going to throw alot this week

Offline ytownchief22

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: October 19, 2016, 07:57:06 PM »
Mays will be the backup. Wells ran scout team today.

Offline go guins

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: October 20, 2016, 10:53:39 AM »
Mays will be the backup. Wells ran scout team today.
SDSU has over 2000 yards passing this season.  Having Mays run the scout team would be pretty silly. (BTW at last week's rate, YSU will get to 1000 yards passing in only 2 MORE GAMES!) 

Offline penguinpower

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: October 20, 2016, 12:08:42 PM »
I think we need to run the ball and control the clock and keep their offense off the field.

Offline go guins

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: October 20, 2016, 12:28:31 PM »
I think we need to run the ball and control the clock and keep their offense off the field.
That would be nice, agreed, that's what everybody, every coach, always says.  But with -0- credible passing attack, how would you propose to do that?  We were 3.7 yards per carry against UNI.  That's 11 yards per 3 downs.  That is going to lead to a whole lot of "3 and out" punts against a team that is stacking the box on D.  If we don't come out and throw on early downs, and they don't have to be deep balls, but they do have to be early downs, and complete a good percentage, then IMO you are going to get blown out by 3 TD's or more.
SDSU has 2000+ passing yards so far this season and we will have to do 3 times better than last week just to get to 1000 after 7 games.  I do agree with those that say we have the best or second best D in MVFC, but at some point you have to move the ball and score some points.  You also, as you note, need to get the D off the field. 
We'll see, but this QB situation is cause for concern. 

Offline Penguin Nation

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: October 20, 2016, 12:30:49 PM »

For sure.  We have the #1 rushing offense in the conference, and SDSU has the second worst rushing D.  Their passing D isn't much better so hopefully Davis can use that to unload the box.  They have the best passing offense, but we have the best passing D, total D, and rushing D.  We are the sack leader also, so hopefully Rivers and Moss are very disruptive.  Our special teams has been on point.  We lead the Valley also in TOP, so if we don't get fancy and mostly ground and pound, I really like our chances.
"These two cats that we played against from Youngstown State were as good of pass rushers as I've seen"

Offline go guins

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: October 20, 2016, 12:42:14 PM »

For sure.  We have the #1 rushing offense in the conference, and SDSU has the second worst rushing D.  Their passing D isn't much better so hopefully Davis can use that to unload the box.  They have the best passing offense, but we have the best passing D, total D, and rushing D.  We are the sack leader also, so hopefully Rivers and Moss are very disruptive.  Our special teams has been on point.  We lead the Valley also in TOP, so if we don't get fancy and mostly ground and pound, I really like our chances.
Your MVFC stats look OK to me, as far as it goes.  But we should note, we have 3 MVC games under our belts, and yes, we have 3 wins.  NONE against teams with a winning record in MVFC and NONE against teams with a winning overall record.  We have some tough teams in front of us and that WVU pass defense is still fresh in my mind!

Offline Penguin Nation

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: October 20, 2016, 01:40:12 PM »

Your MVFC stats look OK to me, as far as it goes.  But we should note, we have 3 MVC games under our belts, and yes, we have 3 wins. NONE against teams with a winning record in MVFC and NONE against teams with a winning overall record.  We have some tough teams in front of us and that WVU pass defense is still fresh in my mind!

Au contraire.  USD is 2-1 in conference play.  Our opponents are collectively 4-6 in conference play, so I do think they're legit stats, but its true the -DSUs are a different breed entirely.

WVU is exceptional by FBS standards, and I'm excited to see how they match up with TCU.  I don't think any MVFC team can match up with the level of play WVU provides.

SDSU will be the strongest foe we face all season, and I wouldn't be surprised if we play them twice this year.  In the MVFC, its the -DSU's and then there's everyone else.  This game will decide if we are now in the MVFC elite.  If Cal Poly can beat them in Brookings, so can we.

Offline go guins

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: October 20, 2016, 02:30:32 PM »

[/quote]

Au contraire.  USD is 2-1 in conference play.  Our opponents are collectively 4-6 in conference play, so I do think they're legit stats, but its true the -DSUs are a different breed entirely.

WVU is exceptional by FBS standards, and I'm excited to see how they match up with TCU.  I don't think any MVFC team can match up with the level of play WVU provides.

SDSU will be the strongest foe we face all season, and I wouldn't be surprised if we play them twice this year.  In the MVFC, its the -DSU's and then there's everyone else.  This game will decide if we are now in the MVFC elite.  If Cal Poly can beat them in Brookings, so can we.
[/quote]
I looked right at the stat and misread it.  They don't have a winning record overall, but do in the conference.  Sorry.
 I do believe the teams in front are far tougher than the teams we've beaten.  UNI was ranked #3 preseason?  That team is terrible offensively.  The QB was awful. 
I still believe S is not as good as N DSU regardless of last Saturday.  New England will lose again, but the team that beats them will NOT be better, just have a better day.

Offline Thumper 76

• Rock Hopper Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: October 20, 2016, 03:10:08 PM »

Hello guys, SDSU fan here. you might recognise me if you read AGS. Anyways couple thoughts from my side of the fence here. Number one is this game is massive for both teams, because the one that wins continues to hold their destiny in their hands for the autobid, and a seed. Winner of this one will go on to get a seed, and a pretty good one IMHO.

Secondly, don't fall in love with how awful our defensive stats look so far. They certainly arent world beaters just yet, but they are much better than the stats show. We too the back from WIU and held him to 56 yards, and shut NDSU down in Fargo. The two games that really make them look awful were against TCU, who is an offense that nobody in FCS can match, and against Cal Poly, who destroyed us with the triple option. Otherwise they have done ok in most games with the traditional MVFC type run first offenses. SIU passed all over us with the bubble screen, but I'm fairly certain our staff will do everything to try to make you beat us through the air.

And third, our triple threat are likely the best you will face all year outside of maybe WVU. No team has shut them down, not even TCU. The only other team to put up more points on the Horned Frogs than SDSU was Oklahoma, for some perspective. Don't be decieved by the NDSU score either, we put up 522 yards on them, and stalled three times inside their 5 yard line, which is very uncharacteristic. The best way to stop them is through your pass rush. If your very good defensive line can keep Taryn off balance and hit him all game, you guys have a good shot, but if you don't I really don't think this one is within a score. I just don't see your offense scoring enough to keep up with ours if your defense isn't in TC's face all game. Our qb is no Bailey from UNI. He has 22 tds and only 2 INTS on the year. We are able to run the ball, but its mostly off of misdirection and just enough to keep the defenses honest. Although, we did run for 250 against a NDSU defense that was only allowing 75 rushing yards per game. Its going to be an interesting test of strength of defense vs strength of offense.

Fortunately for YSU is we have a huge tendancy to lay massive eggs when we get a top ten ranking and play at home. Even better is that SDSU has lost 4 straight Hobo Day games, which is disappointing. Hopefully some of you make it up for the game, and if you are planning to get some tickets early. Looks to be the first sell out in the new stadium! Whatever team doesnt have a let down after the emotional games last weekend will take this one. Good Luck and hopefully nobody gets injured!

Offline Penguin Nation

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: October 20, 2016, 04:40:42 PM »

Hello guys, SDSU fan here. you might recognise me if you read AGS. Anyways couple thoughts from my side of the fence here. Number one is this game is massive for both teams, because the one that wins continues to hold their destiny in their hands for the autobid, and a seed. Winner of this one will go on to get a seed, and a pretty good one IMHO.

Secondly, don't fall in love with how awful our defensive stats look so far. They certainly arent world beaters just yet, but they are much better than the stats show. We too the back from WIU and held him to 56 yards, and shut NDSU down in Fargo. The two games that really make them look awful were against TCU, who is an offense that nobody in FCS can match, and against Cal Poly, who destroyed us with the triple option. Otherwise they have done ok in most games with the traditional MVFC type run first offenses. SIU passed all over us with the bubble screen, but I'm fairly certain our staff will do everything to try to make you beat us through the air.

And third, our triple threat are likely the best you will face all year outside of maybe WVU. No team has shut them down, not even TCU. The only other team to put up more points on the Horned Frogs than SDSU was Oklahoma, for some perspective. Don't be decieved by the NDSU score either, we put up 522 yards on them, and stalled three times inside their 5 yard line, which is very uncharacteristic. The best way to stop them is through your pass rush. If your very good defensive line can keep Taryn off balance and hit him all game, you guys have a good shot, but if you don't I really don't think this one is within a score. I just don't see your offense scoring enough to keep up with ours if your defense isn't in TC's face all game. Our qb is no Bailey from UNI. He has 22 tds and only 2 INTS on the year. We are able to run the ball, but its mostly off of misdirection and just enough to keep the defenses honest. Although, we did run for 250 against a NDSU defense that was only allowing 75 rushing yards per game. Its going to be an interesting test of strength of defense vs strength of offense.

Fortunately for YSU is we have a huge tendancy to lay massive eggs when we get a top ten ranking and play at home. Even better is that SDSU has lost 4 straight Hobo Day games, which is disappointing. Hopefully some of you make it up for the game, and if you are planning to get some tickets early. Looks to be the first sell out in the new stadium! Whatever team doesnt have a let down after the emotional games last weekend will take this one. Good Luck and hopefully nobody gets injured!

Thanks for the good info.  Looking forward to a great game Saturday.

We've had no common opponents so its difficult to predict how this plays out.  I remember you guys trading punches with TCU and knew it was going to be a big year for the Jacks.

IMO, the three keys for us are: no turnovers (what happened versus UNI was ridiculous), control TOP (only one team has had > TOP than us versus WVU), and constantly pressure Taryn...we've got freaks for DEs...these guys are beasts.  No other team has prevented WVU from having a rushing TD.  WVU has 5 versus Texas Tech.  Our QB situation is an unknown.  Our starter has had a concussion and has been a different player since, and now has a knee injury which won't prevent him from playing Saturday.  I suspect we'll play fairly conservative and limit passing to just spreading out the D.  IMO, one of the teams on the field Saturday is heading to Frisco.  Best of luck. 

Offline Thumper 76

• Rock Hopper Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: October 20, 2016, 05:52:12 PM »

Thanks for the good info.  Looking forward to a great game Saturday.

We've had no common opponents so its difficult to predict how this plays out.  I remember you guys trading punches with TCU and knew it was going to be a big year for the Jacks.

IMO, the three keys for us are: no turnovers (what happened versus UNI was ridiculous), control TOP (only one team has had > TOP than us versus WVU), and constantly pressure Taryn...we've got freaks for DEs...these guys are beasts.  No other team has prevented WVU from having a rushing TD.  WVU has 5 versus Texas Tech.  Our QB situation is an unknown.  Our starter has had a concussion and has been a different player since, and now has a knee injury which won't prevent him from playing Saturday.  I suspect we'll play fairly conservative and limit passing to just spreading out the D.  IMO, one of the teams on the field Saturday is heading to Frisco.  Best of luck.

I know our guys have been saying that you have the best D line we've faced yet. Coach Stig called them FBS caliber. Should be interesting to see how it plays out. I have no illusions that we will run on you guys. I will be more interested to see if you go the NDSU route of only sending four or the Cal Poly route of blitz everyone. I know coach Bo is a good defensive coach. SDSU has faced him more than anybody else in the Valley though, having faced him twice when he coached at Nebraska, and has always had a surprising amount of success agianst him. I'm certainly not confident enought to claim SDSU will be Frisco bound even if we do win Saturday, but they certainly would have a large leg up on the rest of the FCS world having already beaten NDSU. Which means no matter what happens on Saturday you guys need to take care of business against them to help us get a better seed than them ;)