Author Topic: Mark Mangino Joins Staff  (Read 18447 times)

Offline guinpen

• Global Moderator
  • Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
Re: Mark Mangino Joins Staff
« Reply #15 on: March 03, 2013, 12:52:19 AM »
Comparing the mac to a given conference in 1AA is one thing but to suggest that the mac would fair well against the cream of 1-AA is quite another thing. Rank the mac teams 1 thru whatever and match them against the top ranked teams in 1AA 1 thru whatever and 1AA wins the majority of the games. Easily I might add.

It would be great to play some of those schools but it ain't going to happen. They do not want more ohio schools in the league. The mac is guilty of delusions of grandeur, but they are 1A on paper only. A decent team now and then but that is it.

They do not have the deep pockets to make it worth our time to play them as a payday game. They will not trade games with 1AA so let them dream all they want and play with themselves.
“Life is hard, it’s harder if you're stupid” - John Wayne

Offline DiscMan

• Rock Hopper Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 03, 2013, 01:17:26 AM »
Easily?  Delusions of Grandeur?  Who really has the delusions of grandeur the vine holding the grapes or the person calling them sour because they cant reach?  From 2003 to 2012 the MAC has seen 76 players drafted, that's an average of about 8 per year.  The ENTIRE FCS, 127 teams, had 172 athletes drafted in the same amount of time, the entire FCS vs. one conference...So the statistics clearly says that if i want a much better probable chance at going to the next level, its a no-brainer.  And if the talent level is that unbalanced, in a competition ill take the talent 99 times out of 100.

If you cant see the obstacles needed to overcome the challenge of the next level, because you believe your already there.  You'll never get there, and if you never get there whats the point?

Offline Wick250

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 03, 2013, 12:49:58 PM »
I'm going to reinforce the point that guinpen just made, and then I will be finished with this topic.  MAC worshipers will not comprehend this, but this might give more rational posters something to ponder.  After the FCS playoffs, it was perfectly clear that North Dakota State and Georgia Southern were the two best teams.  They met in the semi-finals as they were in the same bracket.  Northern Illinois and Kent State met in the MAC championship game.  Now project games held at a neutral site between North Dakota State and Northern Illinois and between Kent State and Georgia Southern.  Would you bet your house that the MAC teams would win?  Would you bet anything?  Are you sure that Northern Illinois could move the ball and score against the NDSU smothering defense?  Are you sure that Kent State could cope with the mini-SEC-like speed that Georgia Southern featured on both sides of the ball?  If you even have to think about those questions, it shatters the illusion that the MAC is automatically superior to the FCS elite (and I never included YSU in that grouping.)

Offline YSUGO

• Global Moderator
  • Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 03, 2013, 08:35:36 PM »
Football has changed the past 15 years.  But for some reason fans of the football program still haven't got off the high of beating Mcneese St. 10-9.  We would struggle in the MAC.  Kent would beat us like a drum. and yes we would beat Akron again and again.  College sports is about revenue and exposure and the MAC would give us that more than the MVC or playing Lehigh in a playoff game at their place in front of 3K.  The Tressel era was awesome but just like the dinosaurs its time to move on. 
A Penguin for life!!!

Offline GoGuins

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 03, 2013, 10:46:37 PM »
Football has changed the past 15 years.  But for some reason fans of the football program still haven't got off the high of beating Mcneese St. 10-9.  We would struggle in the MAC.  Kent would beat us like a drum. and yes we would beat Akron again and again.  College sports is about revenue and exposure and the MAC would give us that more than the MVC or playing Lehigh in a playoff game at their place in front of 3K.  The Tressel era was awesome but just like the dinosaurs its time to move on.

Well said, totally agree

Offline IAA Fan

• Administrator
  • Emperor Penguin
  • Bring Coke back to YSU!!
    • View Profile
    • ysupenguins.com
« Reply #20 on: March 04, 2013, 06:55:46 AM »
Different subject, buts GA Southern was (by far) the most over-rated team last year. The SoCon was the most over-rated conference.

Offline DiscMan

• Rock Hopper Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 04, 2013, 08:22:36 AM »
From a business standpoint I agree YSUGO, YSU's best move is to try to get into the MAC however struggling it might be, for exposure and revenue.   However to make it work the University itself would have to bolster the athletic budget by quite a bit in order to make a real go of it,  I don't think they're prepared to do that. 

And Ill answer your final questions.  YES to all.  mini-sec like?  now that's an illusion.

Offline penguinpower

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 04, 2013, 01:57:04 PM »
I agree with Wick and Guinpen and disagree with both of you.  The best of the FCS is equal to the best of the MAC.  The worst of the FCS is not as good as the worst team in the MAC.  The MVFC is a beteer conference than the MAC top to bottom.  If every MVFC team played every MAC team the MVFC would have a better record.

Lets_Talk

« Reply #23 on: March 04, 2013, 06:46:22 PM »
This ought to be interesting. Mangino has a strong personality. He has been a successful HC at a Big 12 school. Will be interesting to see how he fares taking orders from Wolford.

As for the FCS/MAC garbage, FCS is not top level D1 football. And, that is OKAY. Why do people have a problem accepting that outside of places with FCS schools, most people do not care about FCS football. Even in many areas with TOP LEVEL FCS Programs, not many people care about FCS football. YSU had success against MAC teams under Tressel, but that success was against lower level MAC teams. That is just reality. Akron stinks. So what? Akron would beat the bottom teams in the MVFC.  Akron went 1-11 last year, with the win against FCS Morgan State. MAC schools were 10-1 against FCS teams last year. The only loss was  EMU(2-10) losing to Illinois State. Miami(OH) beat SIU. Those were the only MAC -vs MVFC games. KENT beat Towson(7-4/6-2 CAA) 41-21..Coastal Carolina made the FCS playoffs, and lost to Toledo. NIU 35-7 beat UT-Martin(8-3/6-2 and 2nd in OVC)... WMU(4-8) beat Eastern Illinois 52-21. EIU won the OVC and their 1st round FCS playoff game.

YSU does not have the $$$$$$ to compete in the MAC. That is why YSU was not accepted to the MAC back in 1995. Had nothing to due with a conspiracy on the part of KENT or Akron. Then YSU President Les Cochran was told by reps of the MAC that YSU would have to drastically increase their athletic budget. And, Dr. Cochran was not willing to make that commitment. Marshall, Buffalo and NIU were willing to make the commitment, and thus were accepted, while YSU was left out. So, unless there are some major changes in $$$$$$ once YSU hires a new President, YSU will not be leaving either FCS, the MVFC.
« Last Edit: March 04, 2013, 06:49:49 PM by Lets_Talk »

Offline HLecter

• Emperor Penguin
  • I HATE MIAMI.
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 07, 2013, 12:18:10 PM »
Sure Mangino brings "intangibles"

He also brings a meat scarf

Dude has more chins than a chinese phonebook
I HATE MIAMI.  WATERBOARDING IS NOT TORTURE.  ABORTION IS.

I missed a four-footer for par the other day--THAT DAMN BUSH!

Offline Pizza

• King Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 11, 2013, 10:44:25 PM »
Love Mangino. Great coach. Local guy.

I'm just wondering how he passes his "key man" insurance physicals every year.

I need the phone number of his physician and insurance agent.
« Last Edit: March 11, 2013, 10:47:28 PM by Pizza »

Offline ysubigred

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 13, 2013, 10:05:24 PM »
What a bunch of dick heads on here.. Last time I checked there's no Mr. Olympia on the board  ;) I give a sh** less what Coach M looks like I just hope he can get YSU back into the hunt for a championship.

Offline HLecter

• Emperor Penguin
  • I HATE MIAMI.
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 15, 2013, 05:26:42 PM »
What a bunch of dick heads on here.. Last time I checked there's no Mr. Olympia on the board  ;) I give a sh** less what Coach M looks like I just hope he can get YSU back into the hunt for a championship.

It's called "humor" dick head
I HATE MIAMI.  WATERBOARDING IS NOT TORTURE.  ABORTION IS.

I missed a four-footer for par the other day--THAT DAMN BUSH!

Offline nova75

• King Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 15, 2013, 06:35:38 PM »
I find it VERY amusing that he is coaching tight ends. That man can't even bend over. He could coach on how to kill a buffet!

Offline ysubigred

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: March 18, 2013, 11:04:04 AM »

It's called "humor" dick head

I usually enjoy your "humor" HL but from one DH to another.. I'd keep my day job (unless Obummer's already taken that away). I see no "humor" in busting the guy out on his appearance. An obvious medical condition opposed to just simply pushing one's self away from the dinner table.
« Last Edit: March 18, 2013, 11:27:19 AM by ysubigred »