Author Topic: Kenya Middlebrooks Breaks Single-Game 3-Point Record in 80-67 Win Over Detroit  (Read 5190 times)

Offline IAA Fan

• Administrator
  • Emperor Penguin
  • Bring Coke back to YSU!!
    • View Profile
    • ysupenguins.com
Youngstown – Senior Kenya Middlebrooks set a school single-game record with eight 3-pointers and scored a career-high 30 points and led the Youngstown State women's basketball team to a 80-67 win over Detroit on Thursday evening at the Beeghly Center.

Middlebrooks is the first player to score 30 points since Brandi Brown posted 35 against UIC on March 3, 2011.

The Guins also tied a school record with 15 3-pointers, which was last set in 2005 against IPFW.
Sophomore Melissa Thompson scored a career high with 14 points and junior Brandi Brown added 16 points.

With the win, the Guins improve to 9-10 overall and 3-5 in the Horizon League while the Titans fall to 9-11 overall and 5-3 in the league.

The Guins, who played most of the second half without Brown due to foul trouble, shot an impressive 62.5 percent after halftime and 57.1 percent overall.

Leading the Titans by just five, 41-36, with 15:18 to go, Middlebrooks, who made 6-of-7 3-pointers in the second half, made three triples in the span of 2:39 to build a 10-point edge for the Guins, 50-40, at the 12:39 mark.

The Titans were able to whittle the Guins lead down to eight points four different times before 3-pointers by Monica Touvelle and Middlebrooks put the Guins back up 14, 63-49, with 8:19 remaining.
Middlebrooks' record-tying 3-pointer put the Guins up by 18, 70-52, with 5:40 to go and her record-breaking eighth triple gave the Guins a 75-56 advantage with 3:57 left.

The Guins took command of the game early on making three of their first four 3-point attempts to build a 9-3 advantage at the 17:33 mark. Brown, Middlebrooks and Thompson each connected from downtown to spur the Guins' quick start.

The Guins, who shot 52 percent in the first half, made five of their first seven 3-pointers and made 6-of-11 (54.5 percent) for the half.

Detroit continued to battle and cut the Guins lead down to two, 9-7, and trailed by four, 17-13, before the Guins scored nine straight points - keyed by 3-pointers by Thompson and Middlebrooks - to take a 26-13 lead with 7:24 left remaining.

Detroit's Senee Shearer made consecutive 3-pointers, Detroit first two of the game, to cut the Guins lead down to seven, 26-19, at the 5:34 mark.

After a basket by Brown, Shearer nailed her third triple in two minutes to bring the Titans within six, 28-22, with 5:03 to go.

A jumper and free throw by Heidi Schlegel , a layup by Macey Nortey and a jumper by Brown extended the Guins lead back to 12, 35-23, with 1:39 left.

UDM's Chanti Putnam hit a 3-pointer at the 1:10 mark to end the first half scoring and cut the lead down to 35-26 at halftime.

Offline A Penguin-Husky

• King Penguin
    • View Profile
Great Game.  When Brandi left with the 4th foul Kenya took over.  She made a nice drive to the basket for lay in almost right away and then started the 3 pointers.  I believe this could be a turning point in the program as the team accelerated their play without Brandi on the court.  All the players stepped up behind Kenya.  The Hill/Martin stigma is gone.  It's games like this that creates belief in themselves.  With a decent finish to the season for both the men and women we could have 2 Horizon League coaches of the year.

Offline ysubigred

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
Great Game.  When Brandi left with the 4th foul Kenya took over.  She made a nice drive to the basket for lay in almost right away and then started the 3 pointers.  I believe this could be a turning point in the program as the team accelerated their play without Brandi on the court.  All the players stepped up behind Kenya.  The Hill/Martin stigma is gone.  It's games like this that creates belief in themselves.  With a decent finish to the season for both the men and women we could have 2 Horizon League coaches of the year.

This is good news.  Would love to see YSU in the big dance before I kick the bucket :)

Offline ysuindy

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
The women have already been there twice - in your lifetime - and won a game over Memphis.

Offline ysubigred

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
The women have already been there twice - in your lifetime - and won a game over Memphis.

Sadly, I don't recall those.  Never was a basketball fan until lately since my son's into it.

Offline Wick250

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
Indy, three times, as you well know.  For the others, lost twice to Penn State on their home court and then lost to North Carolina State on their home court after the first round victory over Memphis.  Women are 1-0 all time in NEUTRAL court NCAA tournament action.

Offline ysuindy

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
Thanks Wick.  Moving to fast.  Forgot the second trip to Happy Valley.  Remember listening to the Memphis game, right after we moved out here on the very early dial up internet connection.

Offline IAA Fan

• Administrator
  • Emperor Penguin
  • Bring Coke back to YSU!!
    • View Profile
    • ysupenguins.com
I actually went on the faculty/accessories bus to see the one (I think it was the first, as we were not as competitive in the second) game against Penn State. I think it was 95/96 years. Very close and very exciting.

Not as big a of a crowd as I expected, so we made a BIG difference in the cheering for the "red and white". Although we ended up losing by 20, it was within one basket all the way until the 11-minute mark in the second half. Every time they would go up by two possessions, we would drain a huge 3-pointer. Non-YSU fans were actually cheering for us, we were the stereo-typical "Cinderella" story.

Then the crowd became almost one-sided in our favor, and PSU seemed to feed off of that, and came on strong.  PSU went on on a 19-0 run. We went into 3-point mode and nothing went in. Foul troubles as well. We did not have the depth of a big-10 squad, but our starters were talented ...two frosh.