Author Topic: Recruiting News..?  (Read 52588 times)

Offline Train

• Royal Penguin
    • View Profile
Recruiting News..?
« on: January 06, 2012, 09:15:09 AM »
what is everyone hearing about the new class of football recruits coach wolf is working on..?

Offline Wick250

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
Re: Recruiting News..?
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2012, 11:48:51 AM »
I interpret the lack of early, public commitments (as opposed to ramblings on social networks) as a positive thing.  I hope it means we are going after studs that big time programs have on the "fall-back" lists.  When it becomes clear in a few weeks that the big-time offer will not be forthcoming for some of these kids, I hope that Wolford will be there to scoop them up.

Offline IAA Fan

• Administrator
  • Emperor Penguin
  • Bring Coke back to YSU!!
    • View Profile
    • ysupenguins.com
« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2012, 01:18:25 PM »
We will know more on, or about, the 17th ...when we so who returns for Spring quarter. We do not have that many scholarships to give, we are pretty young & we extended ourselves last season.

Offline Pizza

• King Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2012, 11:22:22 PM »
And or we can recruit Compton, Cali.......that bastion of "character and class" real hard.

Yea,.....yea...that's the ticket....

Offline IAA Fan

• Administrator
  • Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
    • ysupenguins.com
« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2012, 01:40:53 PM »
And or we can recruit Compton, Cali.......that bastion of "character and class" real hard.

They are good JUCO program Pizza. Last time I checked Mill Creek Park was only a small part of Youngstown, so we have no room to talk about being Americas most beautiful city. Compton is an industrial area, just as we are. If I came from there I would be just as proud as I am from being from Ytown.  I remember quoting coach W ..."I am not a California guy" & thinking what an inexperienced comment that was to make. He was recruiting his first class. Now he sees that there are some great JUCO programs out West. We have had more than a few Penguin Greats come from Cali.
« Last Edit: January 07, 2012, 01:46:28 PM by IAA Fan »

Offline YSUGO

• Global Moderator
  • Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2012, 02:07:46 PM »
I hate it when people have to label and judge everything.  Sports is universal, rich, poor, rural, urban..whatever race...who cares...that is what makes a TEAM...Whoever we recruit deserves respect whereever they are from or went to school.
A Penguin for life!!!

Offline ysufan0505

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 08, 2012, 03:46:11 PM »
I heard Deonte Kelso, a DB who graduated from Cleveland Central Catholic High School in 2011 and went to Muskingum last year has transferred to YSU for this year. He is listed at 5-10, 180

Offline IAA Fan

• Administrator
  • Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
    • ysupenguins.com
« Reply #7 on: January 08, 2012, 08:04:11 PM »
I heard Deonte Kelso, a DB who graduated from Cleveland Central Catholic High School in 2011 and went to Muskingum last year has transferred to YSU for this year. He is listed at 5-10, 180

He will have to sit a year. Not an impact on 2012.

Offline Pizza

• King Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 08, 2012, 09:37:45 PM »

They are good JUCO program Pizza. Last time I checked Mill Creek Park was only a small part of Youngstown, so we have no room to talk about being Americas most beautiful city. Compton is an industrial area, just as we are. If I came from there I would be just as proud as I am from being from Ytown.  I remember quoting coach W ..."I am not a California guy" & thinking what an inexperienced comment that was to make. He was recruiting his first class. Now he sees that there are some great JUCO programs out West. We have had more than a few Penguin Greats come from Cali.

Heard. And accepted.....I knew I would catch a little heat. But few people on this site have been as staunchly supportive of this current staff than I have been. We'd all all agree on that....(just need to check my other 99.5% other posts for proof).

Hope these kids work out......we have to reach sometimes.

A quick question.....how many players have left the program since last winter? Either thru injury or lack of academic progress. And what portition of those came from rescinded "Big Time" D1 scholly guys or Juco's?

Not hatin' here. Just asking a question.

« Last Edit: January 08, 2012, 09:53:00 PM by Pizza »

Offline IAA Fan

• Administrator
  • Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
    • ysupenguins.com
« Reply #9 on: January 10, 2012, 03:48:14 PM »
Good question.

JUCO's are usually not a grade problem, as they have to be Juniors to transfer, so they are usually 'a lock' in terms of academics. Once a Junior, you get your final 2-years ...but I think you lose the red-shirt. Yes people argue that their curriculum is simple, but hey ...you can get a degree in Advanced Underwater Basket-weaving from Ohio State ..so what 's the difference. JUCO's traditionally are not much of a character issue, but I guess that would depend on where they were before JUCO. Injuries would be interesting as well, I have no idea. When we receive a spring roster ...we will know. We usually have great success from the prep-school guys. That prep school in GA and NY that have almost the same name has done really well for us in the past 20-years.
« Last Edit: January 11, 2012, 09:42:17 AM by IAA Fan »

Offline Train

• Royal Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 10, 2012, 07:26:20 PM »
if he is coming from muskingham should not have to sit out a year...
who have you heard has left the program...?....its going to happen .......

Offline IAA Fan

• Administrator
  • Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
    • ysupenguins.com
« Reply #11 on: January 11, 2012, 09:54:57 AM »
if he is coming from muskingham should not have to sit out a year...
who have you heard has left the program...?....its going to happen .......

I do not think you can use "Self-Release" when transferring-up Train. That is only for a DIII-to-DIII transfer. So I think normal transfer rules will apply here. It is possible that he can be placed on scholarship right away, as his scholarship at Muskingham was probably academic, or income related. However, eligibility to play is a different "animal". Good question, I will have to look that up and see what I can find

Offline ysufan0505

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 11, 2012, 09:25:49 PM »
Tyler Jackman backed out of his commitment to YSU and has gone to Air Force, tough luck

Offline penguinpower

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 12, 2012, 08:08:11 AM »
He was too slow anyway.

Offline BTD30

• Rock Hopper Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 12, 2012, 06:14:01 PM »
He was too slow anyway.

HA! He's not slow. You just mad. But I understand....