Author Topic: New Athletic Facilities  (Read 4056 times)

Offline ysufan0505

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
New Athletic Facilities
« on: December 28, 2011, 05:14:02 PM »
I posted this on LetsGoGuins.com awhile back but got no replies. I was just wondering, i heard that the board of trustees along with the AD were raising the money right now, that they were going to build a new outdoor practice field and track around it and a new softball field across from Stambaugh Stadium behind McDonald's and Gas Station. Now that the WATTS center is completed, does anybody know how this is coming along if it's coming along at all? Would be awesome to get those facilities built since it would greatly help recruiting. GO GUINS!

Offline Wick250

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
Re: New Athletic Facilities
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2011, 08:12:48 PM »
Sometime last spring, we heard that the university had commissioned a study to see just exactly what facilities would fit in that footprint across Fifth Avenue.  I have heard nothing since that announcement.  I am impatient also.  Time to get something done.

Offline ysufan0505

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2011, 08:57:37 PM »
I agree, it would be nice to have another outdoor practice field, and then a softball stadium is a must. Have you seen where the girls play games? Some little league field in Canfield. That needs to change. If they could fit a soccer complex in there somehow, would be pretty awesome as well, since the field at Stambaugh Stadium has a crown

Offline IAA Fan

• Administrator
  • Emperor Penguin
  • Bring Coke back to YSU!!
    • View Profile
    • ysupenguins.com
« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2011, 01:19:37 PM »
I agree, it would be nice to have another outdoor practice field, and then a softball stadium is a must. Have you seen where the girls play games? Some little league field in Canfield. That needs to change. If they could fit a soccer complex in there somehow, would be pretty awesome as well, since the field at Stambaugh Stadium has a crown

The campus 2k map has the design including the softball and soccer fields. I have the current version of it, I will post it when I am home tonight. The soccer is crucial for MAC acceptance. NIU and Akron are absolute stellar programs. Even remaining in in the Horizon, there are three good men's programs a several women's. Men's is the next sanctioned sport at YSU. Strollo's idea of having these new facilities become part of a Lady Pens sports complex is brilliant. Just imagine how pioneering that will be. Add that to WATTS, and we become soooo much more appealing.

As to the the fields in Canfield. We can never lose those, or Cene Park for the men. This is not a simple little league field. The McCune Park added 2 more fields (totaling 11) and houses 3 softball fields ...makes YSU the favorite stop for tournament action. If another HL team cannot meet the needs of the conference, the League teams can choose to come here. The MAC had their tournament there on, at least, one occasion. Same with Cene Park, we need a place to house tourneys. You can eliminate the need for the teams to play more than one game a day, by having multiple fields. Right now, we have to have 3 or 4 games a day on one field, but not here at YSU. YSU happens to have two good starters in softball ...that is rare at the mid-major level.
« Last Edit: January 02, 2012, 01:45:09 PM by IAA Fan »

Offline ysufan0505

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2012, 01:14:40 PM »
You ever get those pics? Would love to see them