Author Topic: Mens basketball vs OHIO Chrisitain  (Read 2316 times)

Offline YsuPride

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
Mens basketball vs OHIO Chrisitain
« on: November 13, 2023, 11:06:25 PM »
Good to see some fans out this early in the season we will need a solid crowd this Friday against Utah Tech.  They are D1 and been impressive to start the 23-24 season. They played two away games beating Jacksonville state in OT and losing a close one to Santa Clara,   1-1 on the season.  Like coach Calhoun said on his postgame they are a good team and we need a big crowd out Friday,  I'll be at the game.

Offline YsuPride

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
Re: Mens basketball vs OHIO Chrisitain
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2023, 11:12:53 PM »
By the way seemed like Rush was shooting out of his slump this game as coach gave him the green light to score and take as many 3 pointers as he did.  he never attempted a 2 point shot all game.  32 points on 10-18 from 3 pointers.  Plus a pair of free throws as well.  99 points just missed the century mark.  Played 11 players and 10 of them scored.   99-71 final

Offline ucfpengbuck

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2023, 09:10:42 AM »
I have to lower my expectations of this team.  I keep on hearing the narritive that with all the newcommers we are a work in progress and it will take time to jell.   I know we're an extreme case with a ton new players but most teams also have the same issue maybe they're not incorporating as many but they all can have that excuse.

Not seeing our wing players Farmer and Ziggy hitting shots and we need production from that area because the backcourt of Langdon and Rush look to be solid and Byrnes and the 7 footers will be ok in the post.

Wondering about the overall basketball IQ.  Not saying the guys don't have it but it's not showing .   No one is cutting like Covington did through out his career and the offense looks stagnant.  Even the passes into the post have been off and not being thrown from the right angles.

Playing a 2-3 naia team with a player not over 6-5 I thought we would win by 40 but Ohio Christian had really good shooters and looked like a team that was in post season form.  #20 played like he was a D1 off quard he smoked us the 1st half and he hardly played the 2nd half.

Like I said I need to lower my expectations but I believe in coach C and hopefully he'll get these guys to another level.  Where they're at now would probably be mid or maybe lower in the Horizon.

I'm coming up from Florida and will be at Friday and Sundays games hopefully will have a great crowd for the Utah Tech game.
« Last Edit: November 14, 2023, 09:13:23 AM by ucfpengbuck »

Offline YsuPride

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2023, 10:35:03 AM »
I agree with ucfpengbuck on your thoughts as we are definitely not the same team as last year,  Seems like Rush is going to be our go to player,  i like the Langdon kid.  Ziggy Reid looks out of sorts.  Gabe Dynes for a thing big is impressive to some extent but Zorg is not impressive.  Cannot say time will cure this as we have played 5 pre-season games and 3 regular season games to continuity is not the issue.  Looks like playground ball out there.
Thoughts anyone??

Offline Double ET

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 14, 2023, 12:38:39 PM »
UFC and pride, I concur with your assessments after watching on the game on ESPN+.
We don’t have the mid range jump shots that Cohill used to make when he pull up from his drives towards to the basket. Our power forwards also had difficulties in scoring near the basket comparing to our guys from last year.

Let us be really, we played against a d3 team and we had trouble defending their outside shots. We also should not have given up 70+ points to this team.

As for Rush, I am encouraged that he finally broke out of his shooting slump. However, having said that, we need to point out that most if not all of his shots were uncontested. If you recall the first two games, he was unable to make those shots when he was well defended. We will find out if he has regained his shooting when we face other d1 competitions.

At this stage, we are not even close to last year’s team. We had 4 solid players (including Rush) in last years team.

Excluding Rush, who do we have for this year in comparison to the other 3? Langdon is pretty good, but he is not Cohill, Q or Perry. He can’t takeover the game like those guys when things are going well.

We need to make lots of progress for us to be competitive with the top 4 league teams let alone winning another league championship.

Just my thoughts….

Offline Cimo7

• Royal Penguin
  • GO GUINS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 14, 2023, 01:40:28 PM »
Agree with assessments above. What stands out most to be is who is our go-to guy? Cohill took over a lot of games last year and honestly won single handedly. Don’t know if we have that guy this year. Rush is not it. He’s a streaky shooter that can light up the scoreboard but he’s not going to iso anyone on the last possession of a game to get you the W. There are a lot of teams that win conference championships playing as a complete unit with 7-8 guys averaging similar PPG but it’s nice having that 1 stud who you can always count on.

Offline mudclods

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 14, 2023, 03:09:25 PM »
I agree as always with everything that has been said.

Other than just another game to gel and having Rush see the ball go through the hoop again, I'm not sure how much was gained from last night's performance.  I know coach said there wasn't a lot of video on them and they don't play many teams that play the way they did- basically shoot 3's, but I really expected a more dominating performance against a NAIA school. 

What concerned me the most was the disjointed flow of the offense.  I expected even more dominance in the paint against a team that lacked that much height and weight, and there were several bad passes in the paint.  I also thought several times they outhustled YSU for loose balls.  Thought it was odd that #20 on OC didn't play hardly at all in the 2nd half after going off in the first half.  He looked like he could be nearly 30 years old!

I like what I've seen from Langdon, but we'll see against better opponents.  Hopefully his size disadvantage isn't a repeat of what Shemar struggled with.

Coach Calhoun said Burns reminds him a lot like Naz and how he can bring the ball up the court.  Lovelace seems like he's been out of control several times this year when he has the ball.  I know he plays at a fast pace, but it's been erratic.  Need more production from him.

Not sure what to think of Brett Thompson.  He's from Oakland, CA and looks like he fits that and is hard nosed player.

Dynes has played better than I expected

Offline YsuPride

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 14, 2023, 03:18:38 PM »
Everyone has valid points about the men's basketball team. We need to keep improving though. Bigger game than I thought this coming friday so everyone better show up.

Offline YsuPride

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 14, 2023, 03:25:53 PM »
Is lake erie playing utah tech on friday?  Thought that was the original plan.

Offline YsuPride

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 14, 2023, 03:26:24 PM »
Meant to say saturday

Offline ucfpengbuck

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 14, 2023, 05:59:03 PM »
Just for fun I thought it would be cool to update some ex Penguins and after looking at their stats I'm wondering why some were on scholarship at YSU.

Shemar Rathan Mayes NC Wilmington after 2 games is avering 4.5 a game as a back up.

Will Dunn Grand Valley State (D2) starts and is averging 10.5 pts and 9 rebounds in 2 games.

Myles Hunter University of Tampa (D2) has made 1 of 10 shots in 2 games .  Not a starter.

Daniel Ogoro St Thomas Fl (naia)  back up averging 4.3 pt a game on 29% shooting.

Jacori Owens Belmont Abbey (D2) starter 6.5 pts and 5.5 rebounds per game .  Played 2 games.

Michael Lucarotti Gannon college (D2) back up 6.0 pts a game,  Played 2 games.

Josh Irwin Lake Erie college (D2 ) 10 pts per game and 4.5 rebounds.  Started 1 of 2 games.

Cheick Traore Chowan college (D2) back up 3.5 pt per game and 6 rebounds after 2 games.

Owen Long Emporia state (D2) 16.5 pts per game.  Led them last season with over 17 pts per game.

Luke Chicone John Carroll university (D3) 26 points per game after 2 games.

Alex Vargo Garrett College MD (juco) 28 pts per game and 9 rebounds.   59% field goal

As you can see a lot of these guys might have been a reach playing D1 .   I watched two of Vargo's games and after the first one I thought maybe YSU can recruit him again but the 2nd one he had a bad game and I thought nice basketball player and maybe athleticsm might be an achillies heel at D1.    Alex was out of basketball for two years.  The competition was pretty weak.

Love Luke Chicone.  Should of red shirted his frosh season at YSU and stayed the course.   Needs strength at the D1 level to go along with his skill set.

It's early but shocked that Shemar and Myles are deep back ups,

« Last Edit: November 14, 2023, 06:04:42 PM by ucfpengbuck »

Offline chezmustache

• Royal Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 14, 2023, 09:04:44 PM »
     Strong research by ucfpengbuck on a fundamental aspect of YSU basketball.  The facts support questioning
Calhoun’s ability to recruit in the high schools.

Bohannon and Ackuchie are the only high school recruits I can recall who came in as freshmen and stayed four years.

Offline Cimo7

• Royal Penguin
  • GO GUINS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 15, 2023, 07:19:41 AM »
Just for fun I thought it would be cool to update some ex Penguins and after looking at their stats I'm wondering why some were on scholarship at YSU.

Shemar Rathan Mayes NC Wilmington after 2 games is avering 4.5 a game as a back up.

Will Dunn Grand Valley State (D2) starts and is averging 10.5 pts and 9 rebounds in 2 games.

Myles Hunter University of Tampa (D2) has made 1 of 10 shots in 2 games .  Not a starter.

Daniel Ogoro St Thomas Fl (naia)  back up averging 4.3 pt a game on 29% shooting.

Jacori Owens Belmont Abbey (D2) starter 6.5 pts and 5.5 rebounds per game .  Played 2 games.

Josh Irwin Lake Erie college (D2 ) 10 pts per game and 4.5 rebounds.  Started 1 of 2 games.

Cheick Traore Chowan college (D2) back up 3.5 pt per game and 6 rebounds after 2 games.

Owen Long Emporia state (D2) 16.5 pts per game.  Led them last season with over 17 pts per game.

Alex Vargo Garrett College MD (juco) 28 pts per game and 9 rebounds.   59% field goal

As you can see a lot of these guys might have been a reach playing D1 .   I watched two of Vargo's games and after the first one I thought maybe YSU can recruit him again but the 2nd one he had a bad game and I thought nice basketball player and maybe athleticsm might be an achillies heel at D1.    Alex was out of basketball for two years.  The competition was pretty weak.

Love Luke Chicone.  Should of red shirted his frosh season at YSU and stayed the course.   Needs strength at the D1 level to go along with his skill set.

Awesome stats and info!

Offline guinpen

• Global Moderator
  • Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 15, 2023, 07:56:28 AM »

Awesome stats and info!

Agreed! I was asked about Dunn yesterday and did not know!
“Life is hard, it’s harder if you're stupid” - John Wayne

Offline Double ET

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 15, 2023, 08:50:17 AM »

Love Luke Chicone.  Should have red shirted his frosh season at YSU and stayed the course.   Needs strength at the D1 level to go along with his skill set.

[/quote]

Great effort on your research. I agree with your assessments that most of these guys are d2 or d3 players. IMO, Shemar and Miles would have started in d2 if they could consistently make the outside shots. They lost playing time at YSU because of they weren’t capable in doing that.

I also like Chicone as a point guard when he was here. I was hoping that we could redshirt him in his Freshman year. I don’t know whether he didn’t want to sit and finally decided to leave or for other reasons.