Author Topic: 2023 Football: Constructive Criticism and Compliments  (Read 3062 times)

Offline YsuPride

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
Re: 2023 Football: Constructive Criticism and Compliments
« Reply #15 on: November 14, 2023, 10:44:26 AM »
Pelini left the program in shambles when he left going to take until next year.  WE NEED TO WIN NEXT YEAR THOUGH.  Philips would have 5 years by then.   time to win!!  Need a transfer portal QB too.

Offline penguinpower

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 14, 2023, 02:59:56 PM »
I think that we are moving in the right direction with the program, not where we want to be yet but making progress. A few years ago, we would have been very happy with the year we have had so far.

A loss to that school down south, the top team in our division and two close losses on the road to a couple of good teams. Not bad!

Coaching staff still has some room to improve, a couple of games where I do not think that the team was ready to play at kick-off.

What amazes me is the negativity with some our fans. Will we make the play-offs, who knows. Past history is not on our side, but hope is better than despair.

Been going to games since the Polish Rifle, will be there next year.

I totally agree

Offline YSUGO

• Global Moderator
  • Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 14, 2023, 04:40:44 PM »
If we win next week at Murray State we are likely in the playoffs based on how the schedule will likely play out.  If we get in, we will do damage.  We will probably win the first 2 games.  That would mean we would finish in the top 8. 

If and when this does happen, I don't want to hear anymore bullsh** about the team and coach.  He's building a great program here.  Hes got to work with his coordinators and coaches.  They need development and that takes time.

Direct your anger at the AD for keeping Heacock who couldn't recruit but could coach.  For the record, dynasties are usually once in a lifetime events.  That's just reality
Power with the diluted conference schedule we should make the playoffs.  Wolford or Pelini never had this easy of conference schedule.
So if we go 5-3 we will either be the 4th or 5th best team in the conference. 
I know the top team the jackrabbits best Northern Iowa by 35 pts. We lost to them. 
I don’t know if Phillips is the answer but he needs a huge talent influx to get to the next level in our conference.
We will see.  But I said earlier in the year our D wasn’t great after I watched Ohio st and you said heck no we are so much better.  We aren’t on D and honestly that’s been our Achilles heal other than 2016. 
Murray St should be an easy win.  Then it’s up to the asshats that pick the teams. 

A Penguin for life!!!

Offline penguinpower

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 14, 2023, 05:42:45 PM »
If we win next week at Murray State we are likely in the playoffs based on how the schedule will likely play out.  If we get in, we will do damage.  We will probably win the first 2 games.  That would mean we would finish in the top 8. 

If and when this does happen, I don't want to hear anymore bullsh** about the team and coach.  He's building a great program here.  Hes got to work with his coordinators and coaches.  They need development and that takes time.

Direct your anger at the AD for keeping Heacock who couldn't recruit but could coach.  For the record, dynasties are usually once in a lifetime events.  That's just reality
Power with the diluted conference schedule we should make the playoffs.  Wolford or Pelini never had this easy of conference schedule.
I know the top team the jackrabbits best Northern Iowa by 35 pts. We lost to them. 
I don’t know if Phillips is the answer but he needs a huge talent influx to get to the next level in our conference.
We will see.  But I said earlier in the year our D wasn’t great after I watched Ohio st and you said heck no we are so much better.  We aren’t on D and honestly that’s been our Achilles heal other than 2016. 
Murray St should be an easy win.  Then it’s up to the asshats that pick the teams. 

We are better on defense this year than we were last year.  Our problem is on the DL.  The secondary also has issues, but many of those issues are caused by the lack of pass rush.

Look at where we are statistically this year vs last year defensively. We are better, we're just not good enough to beat the top tier teams.  We need more recruiting on the DL and OL.  We have to be able to run the ball against anybody.

Here's what people need to keep in mind.....SDSU will not be the same team next year.  They graduate a ton of people.  I expect that there won't be such a dominant force in FCS next year.

Offline Cimo7

• Royal Penguin
  • GO GUINS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 15, 2023, 09:38:24 AM »
Correct me if I am wrong here but I don't think we finish higher then 5th in the conference regardless of the outcomes on Saturday?? SDSU, SD, NDSU, UNI and possibly ND all ahead of us? Hate to break it but 7-4 and tied for 4th or 5th in the conference wont cut it.

Offline Wick250

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 15, 2023, 10:05:31 AM »
Correct me if I am wrong here but I don't think we finish higher then 5th in the conference regardless of the outcomes on Saturday?? SDSU, SD, NDSU, UNI and possibly ND all ahead of us? Hate to break it but 7-4 and tied for 4th or 5th in the conference wont cut it.

SDSU and SD will finish 1-2. Assuming that we beat Murray, here are the two scenarios:

If NDSU beats UNI, we would finish in a 4-way tie for third place in the league at 5-3 (with NDSU, UNI, winner of ISU/ND.)

If UNI beats NDSU, we would finish in a 2-way tie for fourth place with the winner of ISU/ND.

Of course conference standings mean nothing to the corrupt committee. They would take a 4-4 (7-4 FCS) NDSU and SIU over a 5-3 (7-3 FCS) YSU

Offline Dmorton

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 15, 2023, 10:33:23 AM »
The minute the gun sounded at UNI and SD we were out of the play-offs!  With this committee, and the scenarios you suggested there is no way we get in!  I would be totally shocked the way we were overlooked in the past!  Remember the Lafayette debacle years ago, and Delaware last year!   They are not going to take five to six teams form the MVC.

Offline YSUGO

• Global Moderator
  • Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 15, 2023, 11:17:19 AM »

We are better on defense this year than we were last year.  Our problem is on the DL.  The secondary also has issues, but many of those issues are caused by the lack of pass rush.

Look at where we are statistically this year vs last year defensively. We are better, we're just not good enough to beat the top tier teams.  We need more recruiting on the DL and OL.  We have to be able to run the ball against anybody.

Here's what people need to keep in mind.....SDSU will not be the same team next year.  They graduate a ton of people.  I expect that there won't be such a dominant force in FCS next year.

I just at this years conference stats for D.  We finished 4th last year in conference. This year we are 8th plus we are giving up an extra point a game.  We have a weaker conference schedule.  So no we haven’t improved on D. 
A Penguin for life!!!

Offline YsuPride

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 15, 2023, 02:24:51 PM »
Just as I thought we have not improved at all.   Gone backwards

Offline penguinpower

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 15, 2023, 03:05:30 PM »

I just at this years conference stats for D.  We finished 4th last year in conference. This year we are 8th plus we are giving up an extra point a game.  We have a weaker conference schedule.  So no we haven’t improved on D.

Rushing defense is improved and we played Ohio State in there too

Offline Double ET

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: November 15, 2023, 04:10:03 PM »
Rushing defense is improved and we played Ohio State in there too

Agree.

In comparison to last year, #3 and #23 have been very active and effective in filling the gap in defending the run. The front four have also improved in stopping the run. Unfortunately, they still had a tendency of either missing some critical tackles or in stopping the runs around the outside edge.

Our defensive problems have always been centered on our inability to put pressure on the opposite QB in the passing situation (especially against taller QBs who could throw over the DL). (We did well against the 5’9” QB from SIU).

In my view, the defensive scheme has been inadequate for last year and this year (i.e. this year, in one of the home game, we tried to cover the best conference receiver one on one for the entire game resulting in a career day for the guy).  I would have thought the dc.would double up on the guy after half time. No, he didn’t…..

« Last Edit: November 15, 2023, 04:38:42 PM by IAA Fan »

jcrum918@gmail.com

« Reply #26 on: November 16, 2023, 01:32:51 PM »
Just one thought. One reason it has been harder to recruit since heacock is all these years we barely miss the playoffs. Tressel used to sell the kids that every year we compete for a championship.  That is a harder sell since we have not made the playoffs. If playoffs are an option NEVER decline. That will help this program immensely which is one reason it irritates methatwe barely miss the playoffs often going back to the early 2000's.

Offline YSUGO

• Global Moderator
  • Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: November 16, 2023, 10:42:00 PM »
About every team has lit us up with the passing game. Of course the rushing D has improved due to teams passing at will.  This team needs more than 2 players on each side of the ball to be a top 1 or 2 geam in the conference.  You are losing your 2 best players on offense and I think your TE and a RB are Seniors.  Is Davidson getting a 6th year.  If not QB is a big problem. Big problem.  Let’s hope we get a bid this year
A Penguin for life!!!